Efficient Turbo Upgrade

ConfusedToyotaOwner

TDI
MK4 BEW Jetta
The turbo on my 2004 BEW Jetta is getting long in the tooth at nearly 300k kms with a failed vane actuator and some oil leakage. While it doesn’t have a much play yet I’m planning to replace it this year before it fails entirely.

I primarily use the car as a commuter and I occasionally tow a trailer so I don’t have to use my truck. I’m most interested in quick spool, fuel efficiency and a little more power. I’m planning on replacing the intercooler and piping to get rid of the leaky clips and I also have a 2.5” straight pipe waiting to go on.

What are my best options for this use case? The simplest option looks to be a VNT17 but I also like the look of the GTB1756VK as a more modern solution. Is it worth going to GTB if I don’t plan on pushing more than 150hp? What would be the downside of going to a more modern turbo?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you're lookin for cheap and good on fuel eco, go with another stock turbo. If you switch to a vnt17 you'll need to tune to have the CEL turned off for the missing actuator connector.

ConfusedToyotaOwner

TDI
MK4 BEW Jetta
I’ve read about boost creep issues when running a larger free flowing exhaust with a KP39. I already have the exhaust and my stock exhaust needs to be replaced so I’m looking at larger turbos. Do you have any experience with a VNT17 vs a GTB1756VK? Is it worth the upgrade if I’m not pushing either of them to their limits?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If you're lookin for cheap and good on fuel eco, go with another stock turbo. If you switch to a vnt17 you'll need to tune to have the CEL turned off for the missing actuator connector.
VNT-17 is available with the smart actuator... :)

I have a similar need for a turbo upgrade. While I don't think low-rpm, rod-bending torque is needed, a bump over stock would be nice. Am contemplating VNT17 for its ease, and the GTD1752VRK for its capability. The latter being slightly more expensive.

Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After driving a vnt15 and a vnt17 for years, 17all the way. Super reliable, plenty of replacements available and widely used. I always try to steer away from one off turbos and less-used ones, due to replacibility if it blows, having a customs tune done for it, custom piping ect...
If you're going for the cheap and reliable, you can't go wrong with staying stock, but if you want a little more oomph, go with the 17, you can still get good fuel eco, as long as you keep your foot out of it :)

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
I thought that I had read with the VNT17, you can drive like a grandma with it (like I like to do) too without the vanes sticking. Maybe I misread this.

Can anyone confirm?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any vnt you drive like a grandma will eventually coke up. That's why we always say, once a month, drive it hard to burn anything off, then enjoy the other 29 days of driving like a grandma. Except February, you only get 27

02beater_auto

TDI
2002 Automatic ALH TDI
Any vnt you drive like a grandma will eventually coke up. That's why we always say, once a month, drive it hard to burn anything off, then enjoy the other 29 days of driving like a grandma. Except February, you only get 27
Thanks for setting me straight. Lol @ February. I had Prius on my mind when I bought this thing....even more so when I bought this thing. I own one of them as well as I don't mind an appliance. I do like this car too though but my desire to drive hard has mostly left me. I guess in that case, once a month is enough.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
As for efficent turbos...... your dealing with over 20 year old tech.
If you want to go the norm bolt kn stuff fine. But you want something efficient go with an electrical hybrid

ConfusedToyotaOwner

TDI
MK4 BEW Jetta
Am contemplating VNT17 for its ease, and the GTD1752VRK for its capability.
The GTD1752VRK caught my eye too but looked to be much more expensive and more involved to fit. I think I might go with the LHD GTB kit from Darkside, comes out to $1500 at my door and looks to be well worth it the slightly higher cost than a VNT17.