Led H7 pnp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Anyone swap out their halogen bulbs and are running led’s with success? Im interested in a direct swap bulb px26d as long as its super bright doesnt flicker and lasts a long time. Im used to using only super bright off road 65-80 watt high quality German bulbs such as the Osrams. I love them, but agree an LED would be an upgrade over them. Who all has had success swapping to LED’s? Thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
1st off. Do it and dont listen to most people who hate on them
Do it right.
His are junk as the filament area is massive making stupid bad light scattering on anything but a projector.
Proper good brand leds are 10x better than anything else and will not be any different and still comply with DOT standards for light reflection.
Forget the haters like post #2
Candel light forums is actually the place to be.
Cree and LUX are what you want to see.... jot lumens. $50 a set of bulbs led are good. AUXITO on amazon for the best bang for the buck. I have them in 4 motorcycle and 4 other cars in the past. All of them I tried various others and like above said they suck. You want a tiny led area to simulate the same conditions as the burning element it once had there.
You may need to adjust the pitch of the headlights 1/8 a turn but otherwise wont blind others.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
1st off. Do it and dont listen to most people who hate on them
Do it right.
His are junk as the filament area is massive making stupid bad light scattering on anything but a projector.
Proper good brand leds are 10x better than anything else and will not be any different and still comply with DOT standards for light reflection.
Forget the haters like post #2
Candel light forums is actually the place to be.
Cree and LUX are what you want to see.... jot lumens. $50 a set of bulbs led are good. AUXITO on amazon for the best bang for the buck. I have them in 4 motorcycle and 4 other cars in the past. All of them I tried various others and like above said they suck. You want a tiny led area to simulate the same conditions as the burning element it once had there.
You may need to adjust the pitch of the headlights 1/8 a turn but otherwise wont blind others.
There is no way to "do it right" with LEDs in reflector housings. Show me your output cutoff shots at night. Guarantee you'll be scattering light into oncoming traffic's eyes.

Stay away from subjects you have no clue about. I have a background in lighting as well as understanding the physics behind it.

Also have done plenty of research and have tons of lighting upgrades among various vehicles and motorcycles across multiple forums. Not just slapping LED bulbs in housings and calling it all good.

Not a hater at all, I just "do it right" and suggest others do the research to understand and "do it right" as well. I try and protect others from your unsafe and sh1ty lighting "upgrades"

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Stay away from subjects you have no clue about.
Let's take "Things That'll Never Happen" for $800, Alex.

The #1 thing I know about LED headlights, is they "dance" in my rearview mirror, but not in my side mirrors, or viewed directly. Weird as hell. I would never want my headlights to make other drivers think I'm a UFO.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I have projector lights so led’s should work right without blinding oncoming traffic?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have projector lights so led’s should work right without blinding oncoming traffic?
as long as its aimed correctly, yes

Also DO YOU SEE MY PROFILE... projectors, HID's in each, ive spent way to much trying to figure out what is and isnt good.
most of the market out there suck and are not putting light at the correct spot in the headlight housing.
now that ive settled on these leds, no one high beams me now and actually looks good.
ive probably spent more on headlights and the lighting up parts and wiring then you have on tires on your car....im ashamed to admit the jack wiring harnesses ive worked out but back in the 2010's there were NO good LED or HID stuff on the market and i spend quite a bit of time figuring it out with no help from the internet....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Even if you "aim" them in a stock housing, your lights still look like freakin Lazer beams in my rear view mirrors. Don't run them in stock headlights.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why on earth do you need fans. the quality LED's like i linked do not need them.... a big indicator of quality is not needing moving parts.
ive used this brand and i can tell you with confidence that either this or hella are the only 2 good options. everything else is chinsy crap. Like i said back in the day there was very little about them and i spend a lot of money figuring this out.
the LEDs will work great. and if your clever with a few 5 wire 30/40 relays you can make it so that the fogs turn on seperatly and that the highs comes on and kep the lowes also on... illegal.... but very effective at the flick of a switch for back road level deer detection.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
why on earth do you need fans. the quality LED's like i linked do not need them.... a big indicator of quality is not needing moving parts.
ive used this brand and i can tell you with confidence that either this or hella are the only 2 good options. everything else is chinsy crap. Like i said back in the day there was very little about them and i spend a lot of money figuring this out.
the LEDs will work great. and if your clever with a few 5 wire 30/40 relays you can make it so that the fogs turn on seperatly and that the highs comes on and kep the lowes also on... illegal.... but very effective at the flick of a switch for back road level deer detection.
Lol.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
The OP is using a variation of these, I think:

I don't think these housings have many fans. They use an H7 bulb for the low beam in a projector, and a separate H7 for the high beam.

From what I've read about these housings, it might be a challenge getting good results with ANY bulb.
Yep those are my housings and I like them. The projectors work nice.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Im running Depo lights with glass lenses. Their projectors?
Those probably *are* projectors, but notably *NOT* projectors designed / engineered for HID or LED bulbs. Those (HID or LED projectors) do exist....but not in Mk4 Depo replica headlight assemblies.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I will stay with either the Osram Rally 80 watt bulbs or Vosla German bulbs. Dont feel like dealing with any issues. Thanks for everyones input.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those probably *are* projectors, but notably *NOT* projectors designed / engineered for HID or LED bulbs. Those (HID or LED projectors) do exist....but not in Mk4 Depo replica headlight assemblies.
Why would you assume such nonsense.
A lense gives no cares how the light is given. As long as the light eminates from the correct location. HIDs are hot so as long as its glass but HIDs are junk anyways. Like the zip disk.

I swear most people have no clue what is what when it comes to this stuff just like back when it came out in the 2000s so much made up bs. Please stop spreading bad info about this.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Why would you assume such nonsense.
A lense gives no cares how the light is given. As long as the light eminates from the correct location. HIDs are hot so as long as its glass but HIDs are junk anyways. Like the zip disk.

I swear most people have no clue what is what when it comes to this stuff just like back when it came out in the 2000s so much made up bs. Please stop spreading bad info about this.
Actually, @Nuje is right about this, and you are not. So would YOU please stop spreading this nonsense.

Those Depo projectors are NOT designed for HID bulbs. They are only designed for halogen. It even says it on the headlight.
A lens design absolutely determines the output of the light. As well as how the projector bowl is designed. You need to go research your lens refraction principals. You try and run HID's in those Depo lights you're likely going to burn the projector bowls over time and your output will go to crap. As long as they are glass? Every projector lens is glass there bud, the reflector isn't glass though. Halogen projector bowls aren't designed to take the heat of the HIDs, hence why you have to use projectors designed for HID bulbs. Plus, even though they are a projector, they throw a ton of scattered light above the cutoff (Depo with HID's). How do I know? I've tested them.

As long as the light comes from the same location? Ha! Come on Mr. know it all, you should know better than that, lighting master! The location of the light is only PART of the equation. LED's do not, and will not ever throw light the same way as a halogen, or and HID bulb, no matter how they are designed. It's not the same type of light, it's not produced the same way. You can try and mimic filament light output with LED's but it will never match. It doesn't matter if you put LED's all around 360* and match the location of the filament. There is much more to it than that.

Hence, why when you try to drop in ANY led to a reflector housing, they are garbage. Except for the NEW OEM LED's that come with vehicles. They actually have a reflector that is designed for the LED. That's the key. If you want the output to have the same cutoff characteristics that are DOT legal to halogens, the reflector has to be engineered to reflect the LED light to eliminate hotspots, ensure cutoff characteristics, and eliminate scattered light. LED drop-ins in a standard reflector housing not engineered and designed to do the above are just going to throw light everywhere. Take your garbage LED's and put them in 3 different housings and they will show 3 different outputs, guaranteed. None of them will produce legal light output. They will do the same thing in a projector that's designed for HID's, or halogens for that matter.

HID bulbs produce light output the same way, every time, consistently. That's why you can buy a projector that's engineered for an HID bulb and they work perfectly. You are not dealing with inconsistent and different light output like your Amazon LED's. Ever see a retrofit projector that says it's designed to work with drop in LED's? Nope. Because you can't design a projector bowl that will reflect the light of every LED drop in consistently. If they could and it was worth the R&D time and money, they'd be available. Cheap drop in LED's are a money grab and that's it. The ONLY LED projectors even for sale on the market for retrofit have the LED integral to the projector. The bowl and lens are designed specifically for that LED and that LED only and you can't replace the LED. They are very expensive even for what they are and a HID with a projector still is superior to the LED integral projectors on the market. As a retrofitter, it doesn't even make sense to run these vs an HID projector setup. If one fails, you have to split the headlight again and replace the entire projector unit rather than just replace the bulb. That is a royal PITA if you've done your retrofit correctly in the first place.

So, my suggestion, is you go back to the books and stop spreading YOUR ignorance about this subject. Stick to what you know and help out where you can, but your lack of knowledge on this subject is VERY apparent. I want to make sure those that are interested in the subject have the facts rather than you trying to just argue and defend your stance, which is just flat out wrong.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
wrong.....
Very educated post. Thank you for proving my point. We can let others decide which information is correct. It's pretty easy to weed out the garbage posts in every forum. Those that want to dive deeper into the subject will do their own research as well.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
go to candle power forums and spout that nonsense out...
put a LED in there and its just fine as long as its a quality part. you have no clue....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I actually went down the route suggested by the OP: bought some DEPO projectors, and ran them for a while with the halogen lights - they were "meh" at best, but at least pointed down the road.
Then I had the bright idea to put HIDs in there and.....well, as @KrashDH (and I) state above.....it was garbage. Yes, much brighter, but OMG - light going literally everywhere - very bright (and of course, darkened) areas to the side and front of the car, and people flipping high beams at me.

Couldn't get them out of there quickly enough. Once I did, I gutted them, put in FX-R projectors and those same HID bulbs and OMG - when the Almighty said "let there be light", gotta think this is what s/he had in mind. :D

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I actually went down the route suggested by the OP: bought some DEPO projectors, and ran them for a while with the halogen lights - they were "meh" at best, but at least pointed down the road.
Then I had the bright idea to put HIDs in there and.....well, as @KrashDH (and I) state above.....it was garbage. Yes, much brighter, but OMG - light going literally everywhere - very bright (and of course, darkened) areas to the side and front of the car, and people flipping high beams at me.

Couldn't get them out of there quickly enough. Once I did, I gutted them, put in FX-R projectors and those same HID bulbs and OMG - when the Almighty said "let there be light", gotta think this is what s/he had in mind. :D
My V2.0 retrofit on here is also done with a gutted set of Depot headlights. Same ones posted above except I put the Mori D2S in there. How did you end up mounting the FX-Rs?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I said as well. HiDs are junk unless installed into a proper houseing. It's because the source of light is a small bulb about 10 mm in size. Where the led and filament of a stock bulb is about 4mm in size max and in a better correct location. LEDs have come a long way. The ones I listed are great. If you spend $200 a pop on HIDs there great too but if done correctly
The leds now are drop in done in any stock headlight projector or not.
Hids are too bright. They are over the 10000 lumens at 20 foot or 2000 lux or better a 200 lux (1000 lumens over 100 feet). Your eyes adjust and darker things are darker meaning the brightness is moot and now harder to see other stuff not illuminated.
LEDs dont correctly are a bit better on lux ratio. And only about 6k lumens comparatively. Only about2x as bright as stock bulbs but the lux factor is about 10x meaning the light goes further. This is also dependent on the headlamp bit overall leds done right are awesome and do not blind others and meet DOT standards for lux brightness over distance.
Say whatever bs you all want but the food stuff is fine to house for everyone and thos headlights are awesome

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha - total hack job (ain't pretty but it works). I just kinda lined them up on the kitchen table and then hot-glued in place - gave them a rough test to check alignment ("close enough" was my mantra here), then put some Goop epoxy to hold them more "permanently" and sealed them back up.
One is very good, the other tilts a little toward the middle of the road (lights up the ditch more) - but both require a shim under the lower mounting tabs to give them sufficient height (adjusting screws wouldn't move them enough before they hit the glass).

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Haha - total hack job (ain't pretty but it works). I just kinda lined them up on the kitchen table and then hot-glued in place - gave them a rough test to check alignment ("close enough" was my mantra here), then put some Goop epoxy to hold them more "permanently" and sealed them back up.
One is very good, the other tilts a little toward the middle of the road (lights up the ditch more) - but both require a shim under the lower mounting tabs to give them sufficient height (adjusting screws wouldn't move them enough before they hit the glass).
Had the same issue with having to shim the lower mounts. Nature of a 3" projector and the shape of the Golf headlight lenses. Wasn't the projector glass in my case that hit the lens but the edge of the shroud. Same result though, couldn't aim up high enough. Just 3d printed a spacer and attached it to the mounting tabs of the housing. Worked great.

Mongler, stop talking about this subject and move onto something else. There is still so much false information in your posts. Give it a rest man. You're the type of reason for all the jabronis on the road blinding people because you, and they, have no clue what they're doing when it comes to lighting. Seriously. Stop posting, and go research.