What can be done to increase fuel economy?

stardog2112

TDI
1997 Passat Wagon
I have a 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon with 5 speed manual. I think it is the 1Z engine. I have read articles on removing EGR that is supposed to help with torque and MPG's. Is this a good idea or has VW designed all this to work with EGR?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Please post some links to your articles, I'd enjoy reading them.

Oilhammer has a thread all about FE- It's a sticky, at the top of the Fuel Economy forum:
A search will likely reveal more good information than you will get by starting a Q&A thread.

Your location doesn't help us much, so the specifics may differ. I can't speak to the 1Z, but removing the EGR will slow warm-up in the cold weather and may decrease fuel economy, etc.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
First of all is this. The best thing for best fuel economy is making sure your car is up to date on all maintenance.
An EGR delete and tune can help with efficiency, but how you drive makes the biggest difference.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Those early VW Passats with a manual transmission were known for excellent mpgs, in stock form. I would keep it stock and adopt better driving habits to get better mpgs. Shift early, go slower, accelerate gradually, coast in gear etc.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Slam it.
Put light wheels on it.
Put LRR tires on it and pump them up.
Take your door mirrors off.
Make sure everything is in top running order.
Learn how to hypermile.

Plus everything else the rest mentioned.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
1. Make sure your engine breathes well EGR deleted, and run diesel purge. ( change your nozzles for sprint 520s and get RC stage 2
2. Right foot mod ( keep your foot trained to do hyper mileing tech)
3. Buy the best diesel, not the cheapest.
4. Cat deletes ( your choice)
5. Don't run A/C crack your window

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
#1 biggest bang for the $ is clear tape over all seams on the body.
#2 is investing in learning to drive good for MPG. ScangaugeII

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
1. Make sure your engine breathes well EGR deleted, and run diesel purge. ( change your nozzles for sprint 520s and get RC stage 2
2. Right foot mod ( keep your foot trained to do hyper mileing tech)
3. Buy the best diesel, not the cheapest.
4. Cat deletes ( your choice)
5. Don't run A/C crack your window
2000 NB
I don't know what nozzles I have, but I know they are larger than stock (by several sizes). Customized RC2 to minimize smoke. Cat deleted.

However - it has been shown that running with A/C is actually cheaper than windows open.

Coal roll

TDI
2014 JSW
I have a 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon with 5 speed manual. I think it is the 1Z engine. I have read articles on removing EGR that is supposed to help with torque and MPG's. Is this a good idea or has VW designed all this to work with EGR?
Hey dog,
I don't want to step on anybody's toes but....
I did a cat back exhaust stage 2 Malone tune and I got quite a bit more horsepower and just put 750 miles on this tank of fuel,
The difference in performance is pretty amazing, and I don't drive like a girl so it must have made a big difference for this mk6 window sticker that came with the car said 42 miles to the gallon. Getting roughly 50 and don't drive like a girl

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Hey dog,
I did a cat back exhaust stage 2 Malone tune and I got quite a bit more horsepower and just put 750 miles on this tank of fuel,
The difference in performance is pretty amazing, and I don't drive like a girl so it must have made a big difference for this mk6 window sticker that came with the car said 42 miles to the gallon. Getting roughly 50 and don't drive like a girl
Manual?
I have a DSG and can only squeeze 600 miles out all highway. The lower gearing on these DSG's really hurts the MPG at anything above 62mph

dieseltechMK2tdi

Lagrange, New York. the armpit of the world
TDI
96 b4 glacier blue and just picked up a 98 jetta tdi 120,000mi, Edit: i still own these and about 35 other VAG group TDI's mostly pre common rail/DPF
those old B4 Passats were specifically designed in a wind tunnel to be as "slippery" as possible within reason back in 96. they have a very low drag coefficient for its time. but you must make sure ALL the plastic under body panels are in place. a good 2.25" exhaust with a muffler helps. tectonics tuning made a nice S.S. exhaust with magnaflow muffler, its good (although flex pipe is crap, ended up welding in a ball and socket joint for ford explorer, no more broken flex pipes). (i found i lost economy with straight pipe exhaust) the biggest bang for the $$ is a modded tune with start of injection advanced by a few degrees around 1400-2800rpm at cruising speed, a good tuner will take logs of how you drive and tailor them to meet your needs. also a good set of bosio nozzles (either stock or one size up) installed by a pro and pressure BALANCED!. good synthetic oil, changed every 5k miles or less. euro intake with no EGR from the European 110hp equivalent. dont remeber what mine was off of, got it over 20 years ago. (although some say EGR in tact and functioning can improve MPG.) take the "snow screen" out of air filter box. advance pump timing with VCDS all the way up to green line or ever so slightly above. make sure cam to crank timing is good, while lock is in end of cam and cam pulley is still loose. add feeler gauges under the back side of cam lock tool closest to firewall until all slack is taken up. then tighten cam sprocket and recheck timing, this will ever so slightly advance cam timing and increase MPG. install LED lights throughout car. this will alleviate the alternator from working so hard. 185/65/14 tires inflated to 38psi in rear and 40psi in front. a GOOD alignment at a reputable shop, not (wallmart or goodyear) with camber and caster and toe adjusted ON ALL 4 wheels. a good shop should know you can loosen subframe bolts and adjust subframe for caster adjustment in front, but a quallity alignment is going to be about 3-4 hours labor. a 92deg'C thermostat is a must for better economy. 5th gear upgrade, too bad the .681 is not available anymore, but anything is better than stock. and drive easy with smooth soft starts from stop, no full throttle, shift below 3000rpm. keep it below 70-75MPH im sure i missed some things, but with these mods i routinely achieved low to mid 60's MPG in summer i could get 61-2ish with A/C on. in spring and fall with 40-60Deg'F outside air i could get as high as 67MPG. in winter it suffered, i could only get at best 52-54MPG but more like 50 most of the time, they really water the diesel down in N.Y, for the winter. hope this helps

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hey dog,
Guessing you have a 6mt

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
If the stretch will work. 215/ 50 17. Might do same size your thinking.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Narrower width (205 vs 215 vs 225) will be more efficient. Dropping from 17s to 16s will also save rolling weight (if you already have a spare set, and your brakes aren't too big for 16s).
But 17s look so nice.. yeah I def saw the diff when I put a wider rim on. Even though it was lighter.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
@DivineChaos 205/55r17 is just as tall as 225/50r17

Will do a bit of a stretch on the rim but I think its do able! Thoughts?
On factory rims it wouldn't be bad. The 225 on my rims are already a slight stretch. A 205 on yours would have a taught sidewall and would ride rough. I'd only go 215/ 55 17. Those are narrower and taller.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
On factory rims it wouldn't be bad. The 225 on my rims are already a slight stretch. A 205 on yours would have a taught sidewall and would ride rough. I'd only go 215/ 55 17. Those are narrower and taller.
215/55r17 is 34mm taller in diameter than stock 225/45r17

All these are diameter:
225/45r17: 634mm
225/50r17: 657mm
215/55r17: 668mm

I know the 225/50r17 fits, according to facebook groups, but the last tire is even taller than that. Do you think that would be a problem?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
215/55r17 is 34mm taller in diameter than stock 225/45r17

All these are diameter:
225/45r17: 634mm
225/50r17: 657mm
215/55r17: 668mm

I know the 225/50r17 fits, according to facebook groups, but the last tire is even taller than that. Do you think that would be a problem?
If your not lowered, it should.... Easiest way to know is with a spare tire and check. They might rub at full lock.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
drive close to the speed limit keep tires inflated at correct psi check your air filter make sure its fairly clean diesel engines suck alot of air in for making power. so a clean filter is a must have for plenty of air flow 2nd keep the diesel fuel system clean i use Kleen flow diesel cleaner with "Cetane boost" every 6 months basically raises octane in a diesel engines cetane numbers by 6 numbers for better overall performance & fuel economy.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I have been reading on the diesel truck forums quite a lot and there is pretty substantial evidence that certain additives will increase mileage by 5-10%. The most mentioned ones are Archoil and Stantadyne. I didn't think much of it but a lot of guys have done tests and I'm convinced there is something to it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
drive close to the speed limit keep tires inflated at correct psi check your air filter make sure its fairly clean diesel engines suck alot of air in for making power. so a clean filter is a must have for plenty of air flow 2nd keep the diesel fuel system clean i use Kleen flow diesel cleaner with "Cetane boost" every 6 months basically raises octane in a diesel engines cetane numbers by 6 numbers for better overall performance & fuel economy.
The better your starting fuel quality the less an additive will do for you as far as economy goes. Diminishing returns as the cetane levels increase. If your fuel is crappy then you may get some help from it. Good fuel not so much. You more than likely will not get a 6 point increase from good fuel. I also doubt that a 5% to 10% increase can be had when good fuel is used with no additive vs any diesel fuel with an additive. I tend not to believe too much of personal accounts of additive testing as they are usually not scientific and can tend to make a self fulfilling prophesy come true. There are also those who like to "enhance" their numbers just because. Just driving better will generally produce a higher economy number that any other thing. I have tried many additives with my cars over the years and noticed no improvements about them at all, economy wise.

Multiple tanks with Stanadyne, Optilube and Power Service among others.

Last edited:

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
I went from 42 mpg to over 60 mpg with the following:
1. Get a Scan Gauge or SGII. Biggest boost to gas mileage is driving. Period. I dropped my speed from 70 mph on my commute to the max. speed limit of 60 mph. With the scan gauge you can quickly see the huge effect this has. At 55-60 mph at cruise I see 63 mpg on the gauge on level ground. My overall gas mileage went from 42 mpg to 56 mpg just from driving technique and careful monitoring of the Scan Gauge.

The following other mods got me over 60 mpg.

2. Removed passenger mirror and roof rack. I was missing the mirror glass anyway.
3. Lower Grill Block and front air dam.
4. Coast down hills in neutral wherever you can. Leave motor running in neutral. Coast to stoplights and try to anticipate the turn to green so you don't have to completely stop. Use 5th gear as soon as you can, like shift at 50 mph.
5. Rear wheel skirts.
6. Rear diffuser.
7. Keep out of boost accelerating and going up hills. Slowing down to 55 mph on hills (speed limit permitting), I can keep it around 30 mpg on the hill. Then the downhill coast, I see over 300 mpg in neutral. If I go into boost on the same hill at 65 mph, I see 16-18 mpg going up it, even less at 70 mph.
8. Run the maximum air pressure in your tires.
9. Use a lower 5th gear swap (0.681) if you can.
10. Make sure you have no wheel drag from bearings or brakes and fix if you do. All four wheel centers should feel the same temp after driving.
11. I did a cat back straight pipe. The gas mileage only improved on hills per the Scan Gauge, where I can see a 10% increase in mpg, but the weight reduction helps too. Overall trip mpg went up.
12. Run narrow tires at the correct diameter. I run 195/60/14. Wider tires have more drag. Run lightweight alloys if you have them.

Forget trying to draft semi trailers. you have to get way too close in order to see the increase in gas mileage. With the scan gauge you can see your gas mileage increase when you get really close (10'-15'), but you take a hit from the added turbulence if you are close but not close enough to get full draft. At normal, legal following distance their turbulence has no effect. Following cars too close doesn't allow you to coast down hills, which gives you are really big gain. I have one place on my commute where I can coast almost a mile and several others where I can coast almost 1/2 a mile each. Two miles of coasting in a 20 mile trip is a 10% increase in gas mileage.

Good gas mileage is like a game of golf. It is the adding of all parts that give you your score. Bombing up one hill at 70 mph, is like shooting a 10 on a hole after a few birdies. It counts severely on the total score.