Can anyone help me identify this harness, near the ECU?

Spunky424

TDI
Allroad/passat
so i received a 2004-05 passat b5 TDI engine harness and this connector was taped off. its located near the ecu. its a Red connector with 16 pins. I cannot seem to identify where this goes and what it was used for. Can anyone help me out?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Let me look tonight on one I have loose, but I am pretty sure that connector is missing its shell.

Spunky424

TDI
Allroad/passat
Let me look tonight on one I have loose, but I am pretty sure that connector is missing its shell.
thanks! yea it was damaged and wires cut. i'm just trying to find out what it was for in order to determine if i need it for my swap.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I believe that is the 16 pin connector that goes to the dash. The outer cover might be black and part number 4B0972585. I'm having trouble with the windows virtual machine that I run the Bentley manual on so I couldn't get to the wiring diagram. If I get it working I'll let you know.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
It seems that is T15s, the 15 pin red connector in the ECU box. It would be a 16 pin connector except the location for what would be pin 10 is skipped and pin 10 is where 11 would be if it were a 16 pin. According to the wiring diagrams I can find in the Bentley manual the pinouts are as follows (cavity#, wire color, connects to):

1, GRN/BRN, ABS control unit
2, BLK/YEL, Heated rear window (rpm boost)
3, BLK/GRY, Climatronic/A/C switch off
8, WHT, Aux heat switch
9, WHT/YEL, High heat output
10, WHT/BLU, Low heat output
14, ORN/BRN, Low bus
15, ORN/BLK, High bus

I don't know think that 8, 9, and 10 are used on the dash harness for our NA BHW. The wiring diagram indicates that it is for additional heater applications and the wiring from 9 and 10 indicate "BGW only"

Since you are doing a swap you probably only need 14 and 15 since it is the CAN bus to the OBD connector through the CAN gateway. I don't know how that works with swaps where you don't use the cluster. Also, I'm not an expert on swaps or how the CAN bus communication works. This is the best I can gather from the wiring diagrams.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Scratch my comments about only needing 14 and 15. I see from your other posts this is going into an Allroad. I have no idea what circuits you need. Since it's another VAG, likely some of the others are used.