Taking a look at a 2016 Golf TDI SEL what should I look at.

bajaONE

TDI
2001 and 2003 Jetta ALH; 2016 golf Sportwagon TDI SEL
Possibly moving up... I am going to look at a 2016 SEL TDI the private party selling it is not in the USA. the videos show it is very noisy outside the car vs my 2001 and 2003 TDIs, is that an issue. Could be hs phone is over amplifying, as when he is filming inside thee car it is quiet. It is a manual, has the adaptive cruise control, adaptive braking. his video showed the adaptive cruise is working, no feet on the pedals and as cars slowed down it did and then it went off with a warning when they stopped. can I change the language easily or does it need to go to a dealer? Anything I need to do/check that is not obvious. He owns a mint 1998 TDI jetta so I also take a leap of faith that he takes care of his babies.

Is this engine more reliable than the MK4s I still have?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Possibly moving up... I am going to look at a 2016 SEL TDI the private party selling it is not in the USA. the videos show it is very noisy outside the car vs my 2001 and 2003 TDIs, is that an issue. Could be hs phone is over amplifying, as when he is filming inside thee car it is quiet. It is a manual, has the adaptive cruise control, adaptive braking. his video showed the adaptive cruise is working, no feet on the pedals and as cars slowed down it did and then it went off with a warning when they stopped. can I change the language easily or does it need to go to a dealer? Anything I need to do/check that is not obvious. He owns a mint 1998 TDI jetta so I also take a leap of faith that he takes care of his babies.

Is this engine more reliable than the MK4s I still have?
this engine is not more reliable than your ALH MK4, but its a good engine. It should be much quieter than the mk4 too. Adaptive cruse control or adaptive braking should be the last on your list to worry about, there is a lot of much more important things than that. How many miles on the car?

bajaONE

TDI
this engine is not more reliable than your ALH MK4, but its a good engine. It should be much quieter than the mk4 too. Adaptive cruse control or adaptive braking should be the last on your list to worry about, there is a lot of much more important things than that. How many miles on the car?
I have found what you noted it is much quieter than my MK4s.

It is a 2016 manual SEL TDI Sportwagon with 30,000 miles on it. was purchased by him brand new in 2018. I have found that the DEF is not used in Mexico so it is disabled. I reside in Baja Sur and only enter the US a few times a year so it is legal for me to drive a Mexican plated vehicle in the US for short periods of time. I can buy insurance at the border for upto a month for US liability.

I found a youtube vid that shows me how to change the language.

He is a MD pediatrician who now walks to work as he finished building his custom home less than a year ago near his office so will just use his 1998 diesel and another car he owns. So now everything, groceries and so on are walking distance as he is in a large city, country boy moved to city. Amazingly the traffic here is so light. I am here checking out the car now.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Nothing to add to the thread really...
Adaptive cruse control or adaptive braking should be the last on your list to worry about, there is a lot of much more important things than that...
But agree to disagree... Adaptive Cruise is top level mod, a must do in my opinion :LOL:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've never owned a mk4 but i think mk7 is quite a nice interior upgrade. And the tightness of the chassis is quite an improvement as well. I'd say go for it.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Is that a CRUA engine in that '16?

Not knowing diesel quality in MX, not saying is bad I just have no clue, I would take the pressure sensor out and inspect for metal...no amount of metal is acceptable:

Right on top of the HPFP, two easy screws and a little twist and tug.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
But agree to disagree... Adaptive Cruise is top level mod, a must do in my opinion :LOL:
Yeah - of all the mods I've done on my car, ACC is the new "every car I own forever after will have this feature" for me.

bajaONE

TDI
Is that a CRUA engine in that '16?

Not knowing diesel quality in MX, not saying is bad I just have no clue, I would take the pressure sensor out and inspect for metal...no amount of metal is acceptable:

Right on top of the HPFP, two easy screws and a little twist and tug.
thanks will do

bajaONE

TDI
is there a quick way to upgrade the nav maps?

I am on the road to get back to baja sur. he left his plates on the car and insurance which includes usa and mexico, signed notes that once I finish my test drive to baja sur the car is sold which gives me legal rights to borrow and is covered by his insurance. i have been getting when i check about 40 ish mpg running the ac full times through mainland mexico and from texas when it was hot to visit a friend in ne arizona down to oceanside CA for a visit of my father, ready to cross the border next day or two for another 1000 miles. this will be over 3000 miles on a car tht only had 30,000 miles. . only issues so far is the nav system needs some updating, he changed the oil and filter for me before i arrived but the service oil came on after about my first 300 miles, and one of the two keyfobs has a notification of low battery, just checked online need a 2025 battery for it so will replace both.

As I entered the USA they wanted to know many things like why didn't I just buy one in the USA, i explained i have 2 TDIs and this was a 2016 which is not sold in the USA and I live full time in Mexico so having a mexico plated car was beneficial for me. They scanned me and the car because they did not know how to drive a clutch. They had me remove all my personal items before it was scanned, and did not look in my personal items. They also wanted any of the documents that showed I had just purchased it, which i had the bank transfer that had that date and the signed dated tittle.

It is pretty typical to find these tdi 2016s that are basic and SE with as low as 25k miles in Mexico City and GDL. their prices are around USD$usd$13,000.00 to the SE ones with adaptive cruise about USD$18,000.00. This was the first SEL I had seen since I began looking 5 months ago. i paid USD$15,000.00 for it. I have seen 2016 and 2017 TDI ventos low milage listed at about USD$11,000.00, these are all very basic feature model.

bajaONE

TDI
well since i have good internet checked and please chime in if i have this wrong, only the dealer.

For the following model vehicles, map updates must be done in the dealership.

Golf family 2015-2020
Jetta family 2016-2020
Beetle 2016-2019
Passat 2016 - 2022
Tiguan 2016 - 2020
Arteon 2019 – 2020
Atlas 2018 - 2021
Atlas Cross Sport 2020
Touareg 2011-2016

bajaONE

TDI
I learned when i use to live in the chicago area that because my a friend of mine from gradeschool was a service manager for volvo i would be a fool to buy other vehicles. So i like to buy vehicles if i know of a good mechanic. i have a mexican VW trained diesel mechanic who is also a good fiend to do the motor suspension transmission stuff. Ya there are some language barrier issues sometimes. He loves my blackened chicken sandwich so much that if i do not have it for him there is a work strike. For instance he did my mk4s timing belts in 2-3 hours for usd $100.00, i get the blackened chicken sandwich discount.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not sure which MIB is in the car you're looking at, but MIB-high (Discover Pro) has LOTS of things industrious home user can do, including updating maps.

bajaONE

TDI
Not sure which MIB is in the car you're looking at, but MIB-high (Discover Pro) has LOTS of things industrious home user can do, including updating maps.
thanks so much will take a look in the near future, many pages to digest and catch up on.

Today while returning to southern baja i took a road that was just completed 3 years ago so the nav system would not go there. But in Baja I did not need it, only two options really. But for the mainland Mexico part this nav system made my life so enjoyable to stay on the toll roads near the larger cities vs getting lost. And the border crossing i went through I was the only one crossing into the USA from it for the 15 or so minutes they questioned me as I noted previously. Only the Nav system could get a person there so smoothly. I figured from past experiences it probably saved me about 2-3 hours of misery. It had some errors in the San Diego areas, so hoping an upgraded system would have a better algorithm. again thanks for the potential alternative to look into.