Please tell me this isn't metal shavings in my fuel filter!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Changed the fuel filter tonight and am quite worried with what I discovered. If this is worse case scenario, how much time do I have and what should I do? We literally are moving 1000 miles from here in less than a month!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I can't tell you it isn't shavings, sadly.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Bummer. That definitely looks like a hpfp going south. You should pull the fuel metering valve on the hpfp and check the screen for debris.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Yep
Pixy death dust confirmd.
Imo change the pump before it's a problem. Parts dont last forever and your lick dice roll was low.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Changed the fuel filter tonight and am quite worried with what I discovered. If this is worse case scenario, how much time do I have and what should I do? We literally are moving 1000 miles from here in less than a month!

Still under warranty? That's the death glitter. Stop driving it. Replace it asap.pump and injectors.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Less than what mine had but looks the same. Mine was not a typical failure though, roller and cam looked fine but it was rapidly increasing in missfires, I am 98% sure mine was from the actual pumping element failing and not generating enough pressure. It also started out of nowhere and got worse very quickly, so when it starts, you won't have much time in my opinion to drive it anywhere.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Yikes, that is not good news. I don't have the time to tackle that myself, and I don't know that I trust any local shops! I will research the metering valve as well as HPFP replacement and see how troublesome the job is.

I wonder if this incident was an indicator:

I am out of warranty. Car has 176k on it. But with fuel prices, seems in my best interested to keep it going!

Thanks for the help.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Yikes, that is not good news. I don't have the time to tackle that myself, and I don't know that I trust any local shops! I will research the metering valve as well as HPFP replacement and see how troublesome the job is.

I am out of warranty. Car has 176k on it. But with fuel prices, seems in my best interested to keep it going!

Thanks for the help.
I have a HPFP down here in Nebraska if you need a good replacement. I replaced for a buddy with a CP3 as part of an off-road update to his 2014 Jetta.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a HPFP down here in Nebraska if you need a good replacement. I replaced for a buddy with a CP3 as part of an off-road update to his 2014 Jetta.
Any idea on how many miles were on it? Or do I just go the CP3 conversion? If another OE HPFP lasts another 150k, then I don't see myself hanging onto this car any longer than that.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I spoke with the one-guy near me that does this kind of work. He's booked out a little too far, but says to change the filter before our road trip and address it in our next location. That scares me, but I don't know what choice I have at this point!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Any idea on how many miles were on it? Or do I just go the CP3 conversion? If another OE HPFP lasts another 150k, then I don't see myself hanging onto this car any longer than that.
It has about 30k in it and we only changed it because he went to an X-Man Hybrid turbo and 4bar MAF so wanted to make sure he had all the fueling needed. :cool:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Trailer your car behind a uhaul.
I wish that were an option. With the toys we have, all available drivers (flying my folks in) and trailer space are spoken for.

It has about 30k in it and we only changed it because he went to an X-Man Hybrid turbo and 4bar MAF so wanted to make sure he had all the fueling needed. :cool:
I am interested, but let me decide what I am going to do. I will pull the metering valve and see what it looks like.

Even a CP3 upgrade seems appealing at this point.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

Thanks for the help.
Hardest part is removing the cone off the pump. Otherwise it's not that bad. But clean the fuel system. Idparts does sell a cp4 grenade kit. Has everything you need.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I wish that were an option. With the toys we have, all available drivers (flying my folks in) and trailer space are spoken for.

I am interested, but let me decide what I am going to do. I will pull the metering valve and see what it looks like.

Even a CP3 upgrade seems appealing at this point.
Personally. Do a cp3. About the same money. but make sure to get the high pressure fuel line. The prebent one

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
A CP3 upgrade is the way to go for sure, it is more reliable and efficient, but I would recommend if you can't get it changed to replace filter, and add some diesel fuel lubricants like powerservice to the fuel just to give yourself a little extra security. It really is almost impossible to tell when they will go out, it could make the trip, or fail at some random time during.

If you pull the metering valve and there is nothing there it still could on the way out, you can also carefully clean around the pump and pull it to check the roller and cam lobes to see if that is showing signs of wear. Wish I could tell you more, but this is one of those things that you just don't know how long it will go before it goes out. Mine lasted 206,000 miles.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for all the advice.

Can I pull the pump without disturbing the timing belt?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for all the advice.

Can I pull the pump without disturbing the timing belt?
Nope, you need to release the tb tensioner to get the HPFP out (the tb also runs the HPFP).

PM if interested in the pump I have, it'll surely be less than CP3 and probably any good CP4.1 you can find. :)

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
My 2011 JSW has had everything replaced by the dealer but the pump. Bought with 70k used power service every tank every season white bottle for winter. Fuel filter always good. 141k and runs great yet. Pump looks out of place on a brand new motor. Last filter change 1000 miles ago was clear.

Top tier diesel only and power service stat until replacement!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Similar to my routine. Bought mine at 92k, now 176. Schaeffer's treatment summer/winter as appropriate. Probably cheapest "name brand" fuel until about a year ago when I learned about the Top Tier situation, but seems all those stations state "diesel not a (your store here) product". Who knows.

Anyway...last special tool arrived here today. I hope the sprocket bolts did too. Actual pump to arrive tomorrow; praying by mid-morning! And praying some more for smooth R&R. This has got me stressed out!

Any advice on how to go about blowing out any lines I remove?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I've ran holiday fuel almost exclusively in my jsw. Additives in fuel every so often. Mostly just fuel. Bought at 91k and had 160 when I put a cp3 on it pump was still good. New FF every fall.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Compressed air and brake cleaner. The injectors are probably fine. No misfires? Check the values in vag com for injector trim.
Might need to pickup more brake clean. It's been running great. 37mpgs.

Will have to research how to look at injector trim.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the new pump in and all buttoned up Sunday afternoon. I didn't find anymore metal shavings, but I didn't go so far as to blow out the rail. I only blew out the line from the pump to the rail. I poured marvel mystery oil into the pump trying to fill it up with it as much as possible, turned the engine over by hand a few times and refilled. First start was still longer than I had hoped, but it's been running normally. I ordered a new fuel filter and will inspect existing before and after our trip and change out of I see anything.

Thanks for all the help and guidance. I hope this one lasts me longer than I decide to keep the car.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
Use power service grey summer spring white winter and if you can't find top tier diesel fill up at the spots truckers do so it's at least fresh to minimize risk.

I do the same to my ALH and the JSW if travelling and no top tier. 142k on pump and pressures are perfect.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice, sounds like you caught it before it shed enough swarf to really mess things up. I wouldn't use any more MMO in the fuel though, it has chlorinated compounds in it that may not be good for the system.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm. that's interesting regarding MMO. Frustrating to receive bad advice from a mechanic.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MMO is a pretty ancient formulation (1923) designed mostly to remove lead deposits from combustion chambers. Using it once to prime the pump shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. Just save the rest to loosen rusty fasteners.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like a plan! Have to revive my old relic of an oil can to pour in the relic mystery oil. LOL!