Head gaskets?

rockin_rich

TDI
BHW
So I'm going to rebuild my BHW before I throw it into my XJ. While the Passat was running I noticed a little bit of white smoke. I'm assuming that it's a cracked head gasket but I'm not for certain. I plan on completely tearing down the engine and finding everything wrong with it. Do you guys think I should wait to order parts until I've torn it down or order them now while I have a discount? Also, what is the difference in the number of holes on the head gaskets?

I am so appreciative for this forum, this is going to make this build so much easier and I plan to ask you guys everything that I need to know. I'm 17 and have big dreams for my XJ and just want to make sure everything goes right and holds together.
Thanks (>'-')>

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I'm going to rebuild my BHW before I throw it into my XJ. While the Passat was running I noticed a little bit of white smoke. I'm assuming that it's a cracked head gasket but I'm not for certain. I plan on completely tearing down the engine and finding everything wrong with it. Do you guys think I should wait to order parts until I've torn it down or order them now while I have a discount? Also, what is the difference in the number of holes on the head gaskets?

I am so appreciative for this forum, this is going to make this build so much easier and I plan to ask you guys everything that I need to know. I'm 17 and have big dreams for my XJ and just want to make sure everything goes right and holds together.
Thanks (>'-')>
Likely it's not the head gasket, but the EGR cooler. Is the engine still in the car and running?
You know about the balance shaft delete as well, I suppose?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yeah, bad head gaskets not very common on this engine.

white smoke can be cooolant, but also unburnt fuel. Does it have any odor to it? When does it occur?

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
So I'm going to rebuild my BHW before I throw it into my XJ. While the Passat was running... I plan on completely tearing down the engine and finding everything wrong with it.
In my opinion it's a bit easier to figure out what's wrong with a running engine than one that's dismantled. If it's still in the Passat, and drivable I'd run it like that for a bit to try and figure out what it is first. Even if I was dead set on rebuilding it, I'd swap it into the XJ, get all the issues ironed out then pull it and rebuild it. That's assuming the balance shaft assembly was deleted. That needs dealt with right off. Just my opinion.

If it's still drivable you can check to see if you are losing coolant or oil, and try to evaluate the smoke to determine what it's from. Similar to what Windex said white smoke doesn't always mean coolant; even oil can look pretty white, but it often has a slight blue tinge around the edges.

I would not necessarily jump to the head gasket. It just doesn't seem to be a common problem on these.

If it's already out of the Passat, you can pressure test the EGR cooler, check the turbo shaft for radial runout, pop the valve cover to check the cam/lifters, and do a cylinder leak down test.

In any case you want to check on the status of the balance shaft assembly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
White cloud smoke is coolant. Egr is normal issue. Headgasket would also be indicated by a above normal pressure in the coolant system. When. TDI hwad gasket goes ot usually displaced the coolant with compression gasses because it's a boosted engine vs a vacuum drawn engine from cylinder vacuum that sucks in coolant.
Blue white smoke is usually oil being burnt and can be from a few things from turbo failure or cold starts too often with no long distance driven.
It can also be from unburnt fuel from a bad injection or leaking injector.

Easy way to tell is put a towel over the exhaust pipe while its smoking and smell it. You will know if its fuel or coolant.

rockin_rich

TDI
BHW
Likely it's not the head gasket, but the EGR cooler. Is the engine still in the car and running?
You know about the balance shaft delete as well, I suppose?
Yes I am aware of the balance shaft and that is among the very first thing I am going to order, speaking of should I go with the standard package or the one with BEW parts from Kerma?

rockin_rich

TDI
BHW
Yeah, bad head gaskets not very common on this engine.

white smoke can be cooolant, but also unburnt fuel. Does it have any odor to it? When does it occur?
It has sort of a sweet smell to it and only when you rev up the engine not at idle.

rockin_rich

TDI
BHW
In my opinion it's a bit easier to figure out what's wrong with a running engine than one that's dismantled. If it's still in the Passat, and drivable I'd run it like that for a bit to try and figure out what it is first. Even if I was dead set on rebuilding it, I'd swap it into the XJ, get all the issues ironed out then pull it and rebuild it. That's assuming the balance shaft assembly was deleted. That needs dealt with right off. Just my opinion.

If it's still drivable you can check to see if you are losing coolant or oil, and try to evaluate the smoke to determine what it's from. Similar to what Windex said white smoke doesn't always mean coolant; even oil can look pretty white, but it often has a slight blue tinge around the edges.

I would not necessarily jump to the head gasket. It just doesn't seem to be a common problem on these.

If it's already out of the Passat, you can pressure test the EGR cooler, check the turbo shaft for radial runout, pop the valve cover to check the cam/lifters, and do a cylinder leak down test.

In any case you want to check on the status of the balance shaft assembly.
The car wasn't drivable when we got it even the whole front end is torn of the Passat right now just because I want to get it on an engine stand. But I'll definitely consider the fit-up time too

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yes I am aware of the balance shaft and that is among the very first thing I am going to order, speaking of should I go with the standard package or the one with BEW parts from Kerma?
Personally I would get the delete kit from idparts or franko6. Kerma is hit and miss, plus they're more expensive on most everything. Franko6 also has great cams, if you're needing one of them...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sweet smell white smoke it usually coolant. As above, check the egr cooler. Easy way to diagnose the egr cooler is to connect the two supply hoses together bypassing the cooler. If the sweet smell and white smoke go away, you have a bad egr cooler.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I would not delete it. It helps keep the engine warm and efficient

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Plenty of used ones available from those of us who have deleted them. Not necessary in the southern States. We've already been in the 90s this spring.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I got one of my Passats with a blown EGR cooler. That one I deleted, another one still has the EGR intact. The biggest difference I've found is efficiency in cold weather. The one with the EGR intact gets better fuel economy. It has a rocketchip rc1.5 with dynamic EGR tune, my other one has a Malone stock tune now with EGR, MAF, delete and dynamic idle. During warmer weather, they both get about the same economy, and surprisingly feel about the same on power.
On the EGR cooler... I'd recommend inspecting it and if there's traces of coolant in it, replacing it.

A4QTDI

TDI
A4 TDI
During warmer weather, they both get about the same economy, and surprisingly feel about the same on power.
EGR has minimal effect on economy and none at all on power. It is closed at higher IQ. I keep EGR even on performance engine. Quieter operation at low speed/cruise and quicker warmup.

EGR is not as bad as brodozer drivers says...

Mozambiquer

TDI
EGR has minimal effect on economy and none at all on power. It is closed at higher IQ. I keep EGR even on performance engine. Quieter operation at low speed/cruise and quicker warmup.

EGR is not as bad as brodozer drivers says...
It actually can slightly improve economy, as it helps warm the engine up faster.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
should I go with the standard package or the one with BEW parts from Kerma?
The only difference is that the BRM spins the oil pump a little faster. It probably doesn't matter. I went with the the BRM in an attempt to increase oil flow to the top end and extend the life of the cam, but that was 8 years and 80k ago. Now there's many standard setups motoring on without any issues. I likely only increased the flow through the pressure relief.

The car wasn't drivable when we got it even the whole front end is torn of the Passat right now just because I want to get it on an engine stand.
If it's not running, I'd check the EGR cooler, cam, turbo, and do a cylinder leak down test. If the cylinder leak down test is good I'd fix the balance shaft assembly if not already done and send it as my 16 yo says. If the cam is worn you can do that, a new timing belt and get rid of the bs at the same time. There's no mechanical reason to take the long block apart. However, if it's about the experience, I get that, but I've heard a rebuild is costly when you replace all the one time use items.

Last edited:

A4QTDI

TDI
A4 TDI
The only difference is that the BEW spins the oil pump a little faster. It probably doesn't matter. I went with the the BEW in an attempt to increase oil flow to the top end and extend the life of the cam, but that was 8 years and 80k ago. Now there's many standard setups motoring on without any issues. I likely only increased the flow through the pressure relief.
Some narrow rod bearing PD engine in euro market had bearing trouble, so oil pump speed was increased on BRM, not BEW. BHW and CR has wider bearing and has no problem. More oil pressure never solves bearing problem... Cam is high surface speed (big lobe size) and hot thin oil problem, mostly causes trouble on hot exhaust lifter. Use thick oil for best result, min 5w40.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Some narrow rod bearing PD engine in euro market had bearing trouble, so oil pump speed was increased on BRM, not BEW. BHW and CR has wider bearing and has no problem.
I stand corrected. That's what I get for not verifying. I couldn't remember the actual codes. I actually went with the BRM. I got it from Cascade German back when they were BoraParts. I agree that it was mostly unnecessary. (Previous post edited to not lead someone astray in the future.)