Need info on TDI ALH tuning and check out some of my project plans

Exan

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys so I am looking to modify my ALH 2003 Jetta I am about to weld a GT2056VK turbo to my OEM VNT15 manifold as I've seen that some kits are basically that and they want $1300.00USD for it. So my plans are since my VNT15 housing has been scrapped ever since I replaced the VNT15 core because of a stuck VNT and since I did that the exhaust housing was kinda rusted and a chunk around the cast manifold sealing surface chipped off with the turbo core. So I installed the new core I bought on ebay anyways and upon doing that had a major exhaust leak AT THE TURBO MANIFOLD and been driving around for a year with zero boost and like 50hp. So I finally had some time and picked up a KKK KP39 turbo from a BEW at a local scrap yard not far for the time being so I can still drive around while I attempt to weld the 2056 turbo I bought on ebay from a Mercedes Sprinter Van with the OM642 engine. I also will be fabricating a Darkside Development style race manifold from a extra ALH manifold I have.

So my question for tuning aspect is what program do i need to modify the tune on my engine ECU.

What size injector should I use with the GT2056VK turbo ? (I already have 205s is that big enough?)

What size exhaust. I was going to fabricate a 2.5" down with a 2.25" exhaust back to some kind of muffler.

Any of you have a recommendation for a front mount intercooler ? I assume I need a same side style of intercooler?

You can see how black this turbo was from the leaking exhaust housing

https://imgur.com/JosB8Y8

So this is what I am going to copy

https://imgur.com/hnDniW8

https://imgur.com/QZta2GZ

https://imgur.com/2BTo1Kv

https://imgur.com/NOdItBq

https://imgur.com/nigAtSo

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Nice effort in welding that manifold. Now get it fitted to the car and have someone map the Ecu for the extra boost increase !

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
For that turbo, go with 5x0.26 nozzles and a tune definitely. You also need to add a bigger/better intercooler, preferrably front mounted.

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
What did you weld it with? I had issues historically using a MiG with mild steel. I have seen there are some rods that allegedly work with cast..

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I've heard that there are some guys who can tune the electronic actuators on those. I haven't had them do any work for me, but tekmektronics can do it if I understand correctly.
It's supposedly better than converting to vacuum.

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
You would need Winols to alter the maps and something like KESS V2 (EU version)to flash the maps. Presumably your not going to be purchasing these from legit sources. So you will need a Laptop with Windows 7 on it. EBAY is a good place to find these things.

Tuning is basically the hardest part. So if you can find a tuner willing to map personally I would go for that.

Forget all this stage 1, 2, 3... rubbish that you see about. You need a custom map

Exan

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
GIBONTA Race Nozzles
Size: .320, Injectors

Vacuum actuator bracket from DarkSide Performance

To Powermandan I used a TIG welding process with my Miller Dynasty 200XD. I used E70S-2 rods and pre heated the metal with a torch to about 400 degrees. These manifolds are cast steel and not cast iron so its a lot easier to weld as long as you clean it and pre heat it. I wouldnt recommend MIG welding to do this job but Im sure it is possible.

So i have a 3 bar map sensor BOSCH 0 281 002 976

I also bought the VAG COM cable and ROSSTECH program to verify the parameters of the tuning and a MPPS V13 USB to OBD2 to burn the tune to the ECU.

I got this little chonky boi intercooler hoping it'll be better than stock and if this cant keep it cool i'll go front mount.

And I have 15' of 2.5" tubing ready to be pie cut and made into a strait pipe exhaust to wtv muffler i can find to just to lower some of the drone with strait pipe.

Here in Montreal there aren't any diesel tuners sadly so I am kinda on my own for that but I've been looking for someone who knows what they are doing to tune my ECU. SAKU who i found on youtube with the AWD converted to RWD TDI Passat with compound turbo setup said he would be willing to the tuning so I am going to see what knowledge i can get from him.

Yeah not really a fan of the cookie cutter tunes from wtv tuner company. I want atleast 250hp outta this thing which what apparent with the turbo and injector combo with the 10mm pump should give and apparent could get 260hp with the 11mm pump.

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
I would take people claims with the 10mm pump with a pinch of salt. I would suggest that you get a 11mm pump.

I have tried with several cloned MPPS cables various versions and never got them to work. So if you can get one to work your already head of the game

There is a great YouTube channel called vagecumap. He's does a load of videos on the tuning process and how to use Winols. It's on a PD motor but the principals are the same.

Also join ECUconnections forum. Lots of good information there is also has a very good VP37 tuning guide which covers tuning an ALH and most importantly tells you how to remove the diagnostic limits of the ECU which needs to be done before you even start tuning.

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
vagecumap is a great YT channel to learn TDI mapping!

these nozzles will be very very smokey with the 10mm pump as the injection pressure drops significantly. you may get 250hp or even more with the 10mm, but going with a 11mm pump is the way if you want less smoke.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
Saku is the best tdi tuner I know of. If I didn't tune myself I would definitely get him to tune my cars. Also 10mm pumps will definitely make more than 250hp, I run 340um with 10mm and while combustion efficiency is not optimal it does make great power.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I've heard that there are some guys who can tune the electronic actuators on those. I haven't had them do any work for me, but tekmektronics can do it if I understand correctly.
It's supposedly better than converting to vacuum.
Yes, electronic actuator is so much more superior than vacuum. And so much easier to tune than vacuum. Most actuators are plug and play, just need wired correctly, others only need a few bits in the ecu set properly for them to work.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Can you even put the electric actuator on a ALH ecu ???
Yes, you can. The basic method of control is the same, it uses pulse wave modulation to control the n75 on the alh, which is the same way that many of the electronic actuators work, with the exception of the can controlled ones.

powermandan

TDI
ABL, AHU, AFN
Saku is the best tdi tuner I know of. If I didn't tune myself I would definitely get him to tune my cars. Also 10mm pumps will definitely make more than 250hp, I run 340um with 10mm and while combustion efficiency is not optimal it does make great power.
What IQ have you scaled your Pump voltage to if you don't mind me asking?