ECU Bricked during DIY tune - Is there hope?

pineapple_e85

TDI
1.9 Skoda ALH EDC15
Hi all,

Today I though I would cheap out and purchase a MPPT cable off ebay and try doing a re-flash myself.
I guess it goes to show you get what you pay for.

I was trying to re-flash my 1.9 TDI ALH motor in the form of a Skoda Octavia 1

As it turns out MPPT is unstable in Windows 10 and just as the Flash began to write, the program kicked out an error.
The CEL had gone out so it was clearly writing data to the ECU but the application terminated so no recovery sequence was initiated automatically. Upon cycling the key no CEL or glow plug light lit up.

I had a poke about and it looks as if the ECU is in 'Boot Mode' and when I look at the software the only option available to me is the write button, however when trying to again write the stock file, the ECU does not 'Wake up' and the process fails, kicking out a gobbeldy goop log file.

Any help would be much appreciated as I can not work without this car, although I suppose it couldn't have happened at a better time with this self-isolation thing going on xD

Thanks so much in advance for the help, it really does mean a lot to me.

Ethan

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
You need to load the MPPT on a older machine
look up how to recover bricked ecu
you will have to open ecm and ground pin24? then key on
install old read tune org file
then learn how to do check sum right.
Good luck

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Yeh I googled it and found the info when I bricked one in my old car.
Just took it out the car and did it on the bench instead. Totally crapped myself at first lol but got it easy enough.

WarmStart

TDI
TDI
I am learning to ecu flashing.
I am using to win 10, I got approx. 15 tries then win blocked my MPPS cable.
I found solution here:
https://www.ecuedit.com/mpps-v16-windows-7-10-t15709/page10
"Hi guys I managed to fix this by deleting the MPPS folder inside of the program data folder.
This folder is located on the c:/ drive.
If it’s not showing up, go into folder properties and enable show hidden files and folders."

But yes on older windows those programs run better.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You can also use recovery mode with mpps...it works but you will need to try several times till the program starts writing the file...

pineapple_e85

TDI
1.9 Skoda ALH EDC15
Hi all,

Thank you all for the useful information!

I took the ECU out of the car and did a bench flash.
The ECU woke and I was able to flash it back to factory!

Stuck my modified map on and presto, all done!

No need to open it, just wire up a temporary bench flash setup.

If anyone needs help with anything like this in the future let me know and I'll try my best to help!

Thanks all,
Ethan

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've done that a few times, laptop doesn't have a battery in it so tripped over cords mean a bricked ECU

seems that mine will reflash from that state just fine if I just set it to the slowest bitrate, don't even have to do a bench flash

Voswosdubber

TDI
Hi all,

Thank you all for the useful information!

I took the ECU out of the car and did a bench flash.
The ECU woke and I was able to flash it back to factory!

Stuck my modified map on and presto, all done!

No need to open it, just wire up a temporary bench flash setup.

If anyone needs help with anything like this in the future let me know and I'll try my best to help!

Thanks all,
Ethan
Could you please explain how did you set up 'wire up a temporary bench bench flash setup'? with picture or diagram would be great if possible.
Thanks

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Google is your friend mate ! Use the recovery option at slow writing speed, usually the program wakes up the Ecu and it’s starts writing on it…bench flash is the last resort and you have 4 wires to connect…

Voswosdubber

TDI
Mate, if you know something just be kind to share with us so that you be friend of us instead of google and we can benefit from your saying. People, for sure, are searching before asking. which 4 wires? to connect from where to where? The point is to be able to BDM without opening the ECU, OP says he did it without opening it. once it opened it it is easy and standard to anyone.