Whitbread Passat B5.5 BHW GTB2260VK build

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
The flywheel/clutch combo is the same one Scott that you were recommending and selling to other people including a member in texas who also had a syncro ring break in his 01e in less than 2000 miles.
The Texas member used a 23lb flywheel made by at my request by Southbend. I don't know what issue he had with his trans (I've not seen it yet), I suspect it also broke a syncrho ring. That is the only clutch/flywheel I've sold with a 6 speed. I was unaware of the clutch/flywheel you used until Jason made mention that Southbend sent the wrong clutch or something to that affect.

I do find it uncanny that the first trans broke a syncrho ring and bent an input shaft (maybe not in that order).. and the replacement trans suffered the same fate, Add this to the other member who posted about syncrho ring breakage with a SMF, and the member in Texas running a SMF, the evidence points to another issue other than the gearbox.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
I see that Sprocket's car had the BSM installed in February 2009. Is it still installed? Could an incorrectly installed BSM create harmonic vibrations that would damage the synchros?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I see that Sprocket's car had the BSM installed in February 2009. Is it still installed? Could an incorrectly installed BSM create harmonic vibrations that would damage the synchros?
It was installed by Oilhammer, so I highly doubt it was installed incorrectly. Plus I had it several thousand miles before the switch-up from an auto to manual. Even if it was installed incorrectly, I'm sure I would've noticed something wrong right away.

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
The vibrations from the 1.9 diesel engine cause the synchros to resonate and vibrate against the gears. Eventually they crack and break apart. The bits of synchro then get caught up in the gears etc and the carnage ensues.

I believe this is what most of the "Gear Rattle" many have experienced.
If it is anything like what happens with the 1.8T's then a Fluidampr really helps Scott.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Seems the 01X boxes have the same issues when running a single mass flyhweel.. I have a customer with 5000 km with SMF, second gear synchro is gone

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Just seeing this now, there's probably a torsional resonance on this combination of 01E and 4-cyl diesel due to the high torsional vibration inherent in 4-cyl diesels and the higher rotating mass of the 01E. Since the 01E has thicker gears, it's got more inertia. I'd bet that either a lighter flywheel or a heavier flywheel would get you out of the resonance zone. Perhaps a 25-26lb flywheel is called for? I had a similar issue at work recently where my solution was to move from a 12kg flywheel to a 22.7kg flywheel to move cycle-to-cycle rpm variation from 120 rpm to 50 rpm. We were failing some input shaft splines prior, and the heavier flywheel is preventing the issues now.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Issue is being addressed and I'm going with a custom DC Clutch setup very soon. Rebuilding the replacement trans this weekend hopefully.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
It's a brand name.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Does your BHW have the balance shaft deleted? If so, I wonder if this is causing a vibration that the transmission doesn't like.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Has the upgraded balance shaft module installed by Oilhammer.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
What's the latest? Is the Passat still at Matt's?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Curious minds have got to know if the transmission saga has been settled or not!

That and I'm still mulling over which direction to take the manual swap for my own BHW-powered Passat :)

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Curious minds have got to know if the transmission saga has been settled or not!
That and I'm still mulling over which direction to take the manual swap for my own BHW-powered Passat :)
Newsed trans is rebuilt with JHM carbon fiber syncros and waiting on the floor patiently to go in. Had an issue with getting the trans together; 4th gear on the countershaft was on backwards (from someone previously). It has a very slight step on one side and since it doesn't need to be removed to change syncros, we we were really scratching our heads as to what the hell was going on. But we got it figured out and all is well now.

Just talked to DC yesterday, he finally has the ceramic facings en route for Jason's clutch. So hopefully the first week of dec the trans + clutch will go in :).

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Good to hear the Passat will be up-and-about shortly.

BIGAPE

TDI
2004 Passat TDI auto transmission
I have just read all of the pages for the auto to manual swap and I saw the list of recommended parts that are required for the swap but I did not see where anyone mentioned the total cost for this swapout, I know that the used parts from the donor cars can vary greatly in price from one area to the next but what ball park price are we talking about for the change not including labor, 2,500,3,500,4,500?

I just purchased a 2004 Passat and I'm making a list of things to address like the chain driven oil pump, coolant system, timing chain, and auto transmission failures.

Thanks for all of the input about my next project vehicle.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Just curious, how the 3rd and final 01E transmission is running with the upgraded parts?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
Just curious, how the 3rd and final 01E transmission is running with the upgraded parts?
I have less than 250 miles on the newly rebuilt transmission, the new custom Clutch Masters setup, and the fluid damper. So far so good. I'll chime in after I get the clutch broken in and can run the car harder.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
did you ever get a video or get the car on the dyno?
No, I never did get the car on the dyno and I don't see that happening any time soon either. It's no longer a daily driver, but I drive it once in a blue moon. Sadly, I've only put on 10k miles in the last 5 years. I've actually been driving it the last 3 days and it's a blast, she rips. The B5.5 is a solid platform, I've never had to have an alignment done on this car and it still tracks straight & true. My ears still pop whenever I'm driving and close the sunroof, so all the door seals & sunroof seal are still tight.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Both my B5s continue to impress me, too. Although mine are still slushboxes... :(

Wife is back to work, so the TDI is getting ~80 miles a day on it again.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
No, I never did get the car on the dyno and I don't see that happening any time soon either. It's no longer a daily driver, but I drive it once in a blue moon. Sadly, I've only put on 10k miles in the last 5 years. I've actually been driving it the last 3 days and it's a blast, she rips. The B5.5 is a solid platform, I've never had to have an alignment done on this car and it still tracks straight & true. My ears still pop whenever I'm driving and close the sunroof, so all the door seals & sunroof seal are still tight.
I had plenty cars in my time, the best screwed together platform is the b5, stood over 7 years and no mould or smell in the cars…they don’t build them like they used to !