Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
??? The aluminum is still painted, stamped, the truck still has a frame and Al is soft and easy to scratch metal..... if anything that's the complete opposite. The advantage to Aluminum is it's lighter. That's it.

With the CT I would expect most accidents will have two outcomes. Either there's ~no damage or the truck is basically totaled. The crash tests will be interesting since I think it will have a shatter zone more than a crumple zone since 30X breaks before it bends.
The 30X stainless isn't really that brittle. I think they'll probably cut some relief channels in the back side of the sheets in strategic locations to facilitate crumplage. If you look at the remnants of SpaceX 30X SS test articles that underwent RUD (blew up),. there's quite a lot of deformation. It is hard stuff though.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Cool, I really hope Rivian survives as a manufacturer. The R1T/R1S look like very impressive vehicles. I suspect your mom will have a couple more years to decide about that X5D. Vehicle production is incredibly hard, especially for a newcomer to the market.
Same here. Their truck is much more aesthetically pleasing, and I like supporting the underdog.

On that note - I wonder if Tombraider's Tit's will ever get produced, instead of constant delays pushing back further and further...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same here. Their truck is much more aesthetically pleasing, and I like supporting the underdog.

On that note - I wonder if Tombraider's Tit's will ever get produced, instead of constant delays pushing back further and further...
I wouldn't want to wager when either of them hit mass production, honestly. But I bet Cybertruck hits number 100k a good year earlier than R1T, and at least three years before the Hummer EV. The F150 Lightning may be the dark horse if Ford can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I wouldn't want to wager when either of them hit mass production, honestly. But I bet Cybertruck hits number 100k a good year earlier than R1T, and at least three years before the Hummer EV. The F150 Lightning may be the dark horse if Ford can pull a rabbit out of their hat.Ha
Ha - I've only kept up with the Rivian and Tomb Raider. I didn't even know Hummer had a horse in the race!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hummer EV was announced during the Superbowl. Looks interesting but starts at $100k US. The F150 Lightning is supposed to hit markets that year, unless of course it gets pushed back again. Chevy is supposed to be out for the 2024 model and Ram 2025 or 2026. Rivan and Atlis are the unknown newcomers that may or may not ever make it to market. Both of them are using traditional truck styling.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd be very surprised if GM ever makes 100k of the EV Hummers. It will be very interesting to see how popular the Cybertruck ultimately is. I think it will sell well, but I also suspect Tesla will introduce a more conventional, less futuristic looking truck model in the not too distant future.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
I'd be very surprised if GM ever makes 100k of the EV Hummers. It will be very interesting to see how popular the Cybertruck ultimately is. I think it will sell well, but I also suspect Tesla will introduce a more conventional, less futuristic looking truck model in the not too distant future.
That would be interesting to see the cost delta between the ~100% utility truck and a fancy truck. I don't mind paying >10% less for a vehicle that has more utility.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think you can get some of that answer just by looking at pricing of base model to the top of the line. For Ram trucks, there's a $42000 difference bottom to top. Starts around $35,000. I wonder what sort of "market adjustment" they'll add for an electric? Diesel is an additional $3200. All US dollars.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you can get some of that answer just by looking at pricing of base model to the top of the line. For Ram trucks, there's a $42000 difference bottom to top. Starts around $35,000. I wonder what sort of "market adjustment" they'll add for an electric? Diesel is an additional $3200. All US dollars.
I don't mean between the base model and premium model. I mean as TB240 suggested a CT vs something more 'conventional'; an 'origami' unpainted exoskeleton electric truck vs a stamped steel painted electric truck with a cab on frame.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
The F150 Lightning may be the dark horse if Ford can pull a rabbit out of their hat.
I got some really good looks at it at the Work Truck Show in Indy a few weeks back... it certainly "looks" the business, but they didn't have one for the ride and drive which was a bummer. However they had an E-Transit and man what a lovely drive that was. It will be a hit in P&D for sure.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't mean between the base model and premium model. I mean as TB240 suggested a CT vs something more 'conventional'; an 'origami' unpainted exoskeleton electric truck vs a stamped steel painted electric truck with a cab on frame.
What I'm saying is that if the e-trucks are going to be a viable alternative, they can't price them that far over the ICE. Although I didn't like paying the $3200 premium for a diesel engine on my 1500, I still did. If I'm having to choose between an ICE and an electric version, I should have to be penalized with a much higher sticker with the hopes that I can make it up in the future.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
What I'm saying is that if the e-trucks are going to be a viable alternative, they can't price them that far over the ICE. Although I didn't like paying the $3200 premium for a diesel engine on my 1500, I still did. If I'm having to choose between an ICE and an electric version, I should have to be penalized with a much higher sticker with the hopes that I can make it up in the future.
.... sure.... but that's not what I was referring to.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a stretch. The history books might support your comment in another 50 years but not today.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silicon Carbide MOSFETs are another critical advance in electronics that are driving the EV revolution. And of course the advances in battery technology are fundamental.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a stretch. The history books might support your comment in another 50 years but not today.
Not really. Compare an EV with a DC motor vs AC motor driven by modern power electronics. It's like going from a P51 to a F18. The biggest challenge with the EV1 was producing ~100kW of AC power. That was economically prohibitive until ~1990. The powertrain of a modern EV that can output >500kW of 3 phase AC in something smaller than carryon luggage would have been seen as witchcraft in the 1980s.

With a DC motor you're lucky if you get to 60mph let alone get there in < 3 seconds. There's a reason it took so long for EVs to shake the reputation of being slow ;)

Last edited: