What did you do to your Audi TDI today?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Haven't seen a thread here yet, and since I've downgraded from my MKIV and can't post my WDYD's there, time to start a new one for our fancy V6 counterparts!

I installed my drive cam and updated my MMI firmware and maps data. Holy cow transferring 12gb to a SD card takes forever.

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
I tried to take mine to the dealer for a full DPF causing limp mode. I got the runaround that they don't have loaner cars until August. I talked to audi customer care and tbey said they will talk to my dealer on Monday when I take it in again. I guess we will find out tomorrow if I can merge onto the freeway going 35 for the next 2 months

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Over the weekend, used VCDS to confirm the (front) HVAC Blower Motor needs to be replaced.

Anyone replaced theirs?

Just as it's getting warm in GA, the front fan stops blowing, and you can't get the rears to blow forward.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: None
Part No SW: 4L0 910 043 D HW: 4L0 820 043 AH
Component: KLIMA 4 ZONEN H15 0070
Revision: 00---026 Serial number: 00000000316514
Coding: 0004A036
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: 25170CD0E5E1FE739C9-8070

1 Fault Found:
01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 106
Mileage: 145021 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2022.05.07
Time: 11:16:57

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Over the weekend, used VCDS to confirm the (front) HVAC Blower Motor needs to be replaced.

Anyone replaced theirs?

Just as it's getting warm in GA, the front fan stops blowing, and you can't get the rears to blow forward.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J255) Labels: None
Part No SW: 4L0 910 043 D HW: 4L0 820 043 AH
Component: KLIMA 4 ZONEN H15 0070
Revision: 00---026 Serial number: 00000000316514
Coding: 0004A036
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: 25170CD0E5E1FE739C9-8070

1 Fault Found:
01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 106
Mileage: 145021 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2022.05.07
Time: 11:16:57
Yup… just did mine last week. Picked up the blower motor on eBay for $37
Its below the glove box .. pull out the cover and it’s right there .. I think there were 7 screw that need to be take out … 2 were a little pain to get to. When mounting the new blower motor .. make sure the plastic part goes right into the grooved area on the blower, otherwise it won’t line up right . Literally a 30 minute job.

After some research.. it seems like the front blower motors are known to fail on the Q7s, mine has only 75k miles. At least it’s a cheap and easy fix.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I think I need to upgrade my vcds. I have a full version unlimited VIN I purchased new in Nov of 2013. I have intermittently gotten the tpms/traction control/headlight range/parking brake/ABS and other faults pop up. Each time while I was sitting still after having driven the car. Typically goes away on the next restart. Scans show "fault in other module" but I get the New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current..... Odd that my 2014 car isn't supported by the unit made at the same time. According to ross-tech, there isn't enough memory in the older units and I'll need to upgrade. Seems silly to buy a 3 VIN full when I already have an unlimted. Not a real fan of OBDeleven. Anything else that will read these?

I'm suspecting a wheel speed sensor or possibly a low voltage (battery might be original).

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Had rear left wheel speed sensor go out on our 2013 Q7, threw a generic code for that specific wheel so probably not that, it also would lock up brakes going down hill with cruise control trying to apply the brakes to maintain speed.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Had rear left wheel speed sensor go out on our 2013 Q7, threw a generic code for that specific wheel so probably not that, it also would lock up brakes going down hill with cruise control trying to apply the brakes to maintain speed.
I have no symptoms of a problem other than the lights. Searching shows wheel speed sensor on many other audis. But they also show the wheel speed sensor code. I see that there are faults, but no labels. I do think that I can monitor the wheel speed and see if I can catch it but it's very intermittent. I'll contact ross-tech to see if there is any way to correlate the info I have to a fault code without upgrading.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replaced my two trunk tail lights, bought my car with some of the led's burnt out due to water... No more beep every time I start it now.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
HVAC front blower motor replaced.
Full fan function returned.
Brake pad wear indicator has popped up yesterday, I had already ordered front pads & rotors.
Dealer I bought it from claimed to have done rears, but I'll be getting pads and rotors for those soon too.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it inspected - somehow.... I have to do some research on NYS emissions requirements on diesels. I know gas cars very well. Plug in OBDII testing passed with at least 2 readiness monitors "not ready". Gas cars post 2001 or so allow only 1. I can't find the requirements on diesels but there's no way it should have passed.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it inspected - somehow.... I have to do some research on NYS emissions requirements on diesels. I know gas cars very well. Plug in OBDII testing passed with at least 2 readiness monitors "not ready". Gas cars post 2001 or so allow only 1. I can't find the requirements on diesels but there's no way it should have passed.
Are you modded at all? Here in OR we have the same type of inspection, just an OBD2 scan and check for readiness and no codes present.

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
Yesterday I learned that if you want to clean up 4 liters of oil off your garage floor and have a heart attack with the low oil light, just put the oil filter O ring on the wrong groove! Luckily I did it at 9pm on a Sunday so every auto parts store was closed and I had to bike a few miles in the rain to get oil early this morning.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Is it just an OBDII plug in and check? If I read your other posts correctly, you should have no CEL and I'd imagine readiness values are set.
Or are they doing any visually inspection?
Are you inside or outside the DEMA? Would that matter?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you modded at all? Here in OR we have the same type of inspection, just an OBD2 scan and check for readiness and no codes present.
DPF/CAT/DEF delete EGR disabled. Fully straightpiped.
Is it just an OBDII plug in and check? If I read your other posts correctly, you should have no CEL and I'd imagine readiness values are set.
Or are they doing any visually inspection?
Are you inside or outside the DEMA? Would that matter?
Outside DEMA by one county. OBDII plug in (technically they are supposed to do a visual, but they don't make enough money on an inspection). No CEL but readiness is not set on at least 2 monitors. Some tuners constantly reset the CEL to prevent the light - I'm not sure on Malone. I did contact them early on to see and since it's an "off-road" tune - they do nothing to address monitors. Falsely setting monitors is blatantly cheating. What I can't find is what NYS actually uses to determine pass/fail. Gas cars are well documented. I've fought with many to get inspected!!!

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Worked late tonight removing front seats, carpet and center console to dry them out. The a/c condensate drain plugged and we didn't notice it for a while since rarely does anyone sit in the passenger seat now.

It's easy enough to unclog. Remove the passenger under dash hush panel. The rubber drain tube is clamped to the A/C box. Remove the clamp and blow air through the tube.

If your passenger says cold water dripped on their feet, I suggest you do this pronto. I wish I had found it earlier.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Guess I should have clarified the above was on the '15 Q7. I might check the A7 just for good measure.

Brake pad wear indicator has popped up yesterday, I had already ordered front pads & rotors.
Dealer I bought it from claimed to have done rears, but I'll be getting pads and rotors for those soon too.
Depending on how many miles you have put on it, they may have. I only get around 35k on a set of oe pads and rotors. You can change over to ceramic pads. They last longer, have less dust, and don't tear up the rotors, but they don't stop nearly as well. My wife likes them; says they're not as aggressive. I think they are awful and almost scary.

I had to replace the blower motor back around 50k.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
... Depending on how many miles you have put on it, they may have. I only get around 35k on a set of oe pads and rotors. You can change over to ceramic pads. They last longer, have less dust, and don't tear up the rotors, but they don't stop nearly as well. My wife likes them; says they're not as aggressive. I think they are awful and almost scary.

I had to replace the blower motor back around 50k.
Sorry, I should have included more details, we've only put 15k on the Q7.

Pretty sure they used FLAPS sourced parts, I'll get something to match the brand/quality tier parts I put on the front.

Oddly, the brake pad warning has not popped up for the last 3 days??

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Outside DEMA by one county. OBDII plug in (technically they are supposed to do a visual, but they don't make enough money on an inspection). No CEL but readiness is not set on at least 2 monitors. Some tuners constantly reset the CEL to prevent the light - I'm not sure on Malone. I did contact them early on to see and since it's an "off-road" tune - they do nothing to address monitors. Falsely setting monitors is blatantly cheating. What I can't find is what NYS actually uses to determine pass/fail. Gas cars are well documented. I've fought with many to get inspected!!!
I'm "in" a Clean Air Force county (GA's name for emissions testing, no other inspections) by <10 miles, diesels are excluded, as well as new (less than 3 years) and older (over 25 years). I didn't buy a diesel just for this, but I did enjoy explaining "emissions testing on file" was not required when I registered it. Next vehicle is more likely to be exculded for >25 years versus <3 years.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Bought it a friend, completing the transaction tomorrow.
2011 Q7 Prestige TDI.
Will be looking for running board, mud flaps and rear cargo cover in the coming weeks.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
(Over the weekend)

Got new tires installed on the 2012 - 265/50/19, P Zero RF (PZ4). Ordered of of TR and had shipped to mobile installer. Over all process went well. Alignment in the next week or so, it should see <100 miles between install & alignment.
Also closed the loop on the front brake wear sensors, parts are in route and just don't want o listen to the beep/look at the light until I can get them installed. Will also do oil filters (fuel & oil) at that time.

To do list for the 2011 is growing - running boards, mud flaps, cargo cover, fuel filter, 2nd key and more and more.

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
Over the weekend, I DIY'd the front bumper with PPF. Shockingly easy to install, until I noticed all the bubbles the next day. Apparently I need to grab a hypodermic needle to pop them. Shouldn't be too hard to find in Seattle lol

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not today but on Monday, on my way to work my cruise canceled on me and lane assist shut down, no CEL but said no camera picture available.
Got home and scanned codes, had a fault for the heated element for the camera on the windshield. Took it all apart found a connector wasn't fully seated, along with someone doing a half a**ed repair of reapplying the 3m tape for the camera retainer once upon a time.... Put it all together, cleared codes, and cruise and lane assist are working again. Matter of fact, the camera was slightly crooked previously, now it's aligned, the lane assist isn't trying to force me over the left line anymore!

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
Was driving home from work today and I heard a rock slam into my window, turns out it was the side window! I didn't even know that was possible. Looked over the dash cam footage because I initially thought someone shot me with a bb gun or thew something at me, but none of the other cars had their windows down at the time. Thankfully the A6 has the double paine front windows so it's not letting in water, but wow this is going to be a PITA to get fixed with no shops having any windows in stock

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New front Freemax rotors and Brembo semi-metallic pads.

Done with the ceramic pads. Don’t stop worth a damn with my camping trailer attached.

pity I couldn’t find a good slotted rotor.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yellow triangle and cruise/lane assist canceled on me again on my way into work... Bet its for that heater grid fault for around the camera lense again. Guess it's time to hit up the dealer and use that extended warranty finally.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Received my order of replacement fuel filters, planning to change the filter on both Q7's this weekend.

Any tips/tricks?

I do have VCDS to prime/fill the filter.

Thanks