04 Jetta BEW, 5 speed. Limp mode, no CEL, no codes

Fasteddie1010

TDI
2005 Passat BHW 2004 JETTA BEW
Found small hole at front bottom of intercooler. Used JB Weld, it is holding. Found a little oil leakage at coupling at inlet to intercooler. Replaced O-rings. No other leaks found by looking. Have the collar holding the hose to the anti-shudder valve, so no issues there. Could not see any leakage from the top looking at the EGR cooler. The MAF can easily go over 11,000. Not sure what the trip point is. Taking it easy, shifting less than 3000 RPM keeps it from limp mode. IF I coast, it will go into limp mode, anyone know what triggers this? Looking at making smoke generator next.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your actuator with a mity vac.

Does it hold vacuum?

Does the actuator start the arm of the turbo moving at about 3hg and it reaches the stop at about 18hg?

When you’re testing the actuator with the mity vac does it move without crunchy noises and does it move all the way to the stop?

Is you car smoking while driving? The only time a BEW should smoke other than at startup is when a boost hose is disconnected or leaking or you have a bad MAF.

Fasteddie1010

TDI
Check your actuator with a mity vac.

Does it hold vacuum?

Does the actuator start the arm of the turbo moving at about 3hg and it reaches the stop at about 18hg?

When you’re testing the actuator with the mity vac does it move without crunchy noises and does it move all the way to the stop?

Is you car smoking while driving? The only time a BEW should smoke other than at startup is when a boost hose is disconnected or leaking or you have a bad MAF.
I replaced the turbo 2 years ago, all the power is there until limp mode. No smoke out the pipe. Calibration of the actuator was spot on.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had to replace my actuator a year or so ago about 6 months later I had a limp mode issue. The nuts on the control rod had moved, I reset the movement with my mity vac and put some blue lock tite on them.

Recheck your actuator with a mity vac make sure it’s move the proper distance and at the proper time.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
What codes are you getting with the limp mode? Have you checked how much vacuum the vacuum pump is putting out (or would that be pulling in?🤣) Check your camshaft for wear, pressure test the intake system, oh, and the maf reading... That sounds a bit high to me...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
What are you scanning it with? If it's limp mode, there has to be something stored but you'll need something better than a generic code reader.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have read that if you scan the car after going limp, before shutting the car off you may see the error.

Fasteddie1010

TDI
I have read that if you scan the car after going limp, before shutting the car off you may see the error.
I am using the VCDS, boost demand and actual match. The MAF is too high. I have not had the VCDS connected when it goes into limp mode on deceleration. This weekend I should have some time. First day off in 3 weeks...

Fasteddie1010

TDI
I had to replace my actuator a year or so ago about 6 months later I had a limp mode issue. The nuts on the control rod had moved, I reset the movement with my mity vac and put some blue lock tite on them.

Recheck your actuator with a mity vac make sure it’s move the proper distance and at the proper time.
Did you have a vacuum leak on your actuator? My brother has a hole rusted through on his ALH. No boost at all on his Jetta.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you have a vacuum leak on your actuator? My brother has a hole rusted through on his ALH. No boost at all on his Jetta.

Yes , the actuator would not hold vacuum when tested with a mity vac directly on the actuator nipple.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Any tune on it? Some tuners constantly clear faults so there is no CEL. Makes it hard to troubleshoot problems. But if your MAF isn't reading right, I'd probably start there.

Fasteddie1010

TDI
Any tune on it? Some tuners constantly clear faults so there is no CEL. Makes it hard to troubleshoot problems. But if your MAF isn't reading right, I'd probably start there.
I do have a Malone Stage 1. MAF, MAP appear reading normally. I did take photos of limp mode while monitoring Boost Demand and Boost Actual. The Torque Limit will flat line to about 150 when in limp mode. There is a delta between demand and actual. Repeats easily on deceleration.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Clogged vnt turbo did that in my old ALH. Boost fell off when pushing hard and limp mode followed. I could usually reset it just by turning the car on and off. mr. muscle cleaned it twice before that shaft snapped from me over fueling it

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Try clicking edit on the above post…once you get to the media part look for your albums. I must say technology sucks and so does time.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I don’t use the graph feature so not sure what that data is. I can say when doing logs you typically wanna be in 3 or 4th (if speed permits) then you slow your RPM to 1500 press start on the log and take full throttle it to redline in the same gear. Then hit stop. The. You can screen shot the data or upload the file to drive and link it.

Others can help you slot more than me on this.

Fasteddie1010

TDI
So checked calibration of Turbo Actuator, found good, as installed 3 years ago. Checked for vacuum leaks, none found. Check vacuum supply SAT at 25 IN HG VAC.