Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
That also assumes that Germany has available sites for wind that are not already in use and that prices will remain constant.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Your math assumes new plants. Germany has existing plants that they have shut down. Not the same thing
That's true. But Germany has enough wind and solar that curtailment has become an issue. No doubt one factor they're considering is how much of that 8,000GWh/yr 1GW of nuclear will actually be able to contribute. If 30% of the time wind and solar can already meet demand you're really only increasing your energy supply by 5600GWh/yr. Nuclear is the worst solution to filling in the gaps. A Nuclear plant costs >$200M/GW/yr whether that GW produces 1MWh or 8000GWh. At some point it's smarter to invest that $200M/yr in more wind, solar or storage.

The low fleet capacity factor is dragged down older turbines. If you look at the history fleet CF has increased from 15% in 1990 to 24% in 2020. New turbines are closer to 50% and offshore ~60%. So $64B invested in wind today is likely to yield closer 260,000GWh/yr than 130,000 and investing that $200M/yr in wind could replace the missing GW of nuclear in as little as 5 years.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The result of piss poor planning and idiotic intransigence for the past 20 years. Now they're forced to use what they have lying around. Need to quadruple down on solar, wind and energy efficiency.
I say we just go back to nuclear power instead of coal, The only problem would be finding competent candidates with nuclear engineering degrees...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
.... why settle for 'probably'? These numbers exist and they're not terribly hard to find. Germany produced 131,700GWh from wind energy in 2020 from an installed capacity of 62.7GW. New wind turbines run ~$1/w so going forward it would cost ~$63B to produce an additional ~131,700GW/yr. You would need 16GW of nuclear to produce that much energy. Nuclear runs ~$15/w so you'd need to spend $240B to achieve the same amount of energy production. $63B for wind vs $240B for nuclear. THAT is why ~no one is building nuclear plants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Germany
Don't forget the lack of competent nuclear engineers. I've heard that's also a problem in the industry. You don't want another Chernobyl, because the nuclear engineer running the facility is really well versed in renewables (rather than nuclear) and only has their degree from a diploma mill...

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I say we just go back to nuclear power instead of coal, The only problem would be finding competent candidates with nuclear engineering degrees...
So... why not wind, solar and storage instead of coal? ~1/5th the cost and no nuclear engineers required.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That's true. But Germany has enough wind and solar that curtailment has become an issue. No doubt one factor they're considering is how much of that 8,000GWh/yr 1GW of nuclear will actually be able to contribute. If 30% of the time wind and solar can already meet demand you're really only increasing your energy supply by 5600GWh/yr. Nuclear is the worst solution to filling in the gaps. A Nuclear plant costs >$200M/GW/yr whether that GW produces 1MWh or 8000GWh. At some point it's smarter to invest that $200M/yr in more wind, solar or storage.

The low fleet capacity factor is dragged down older turbines. If you look at the history fleet CF has increased from 15% in 1990 to 24% in 2020. New turbines are closer to 50% and offshore ~60%. So $64B invested in wind today is likely to yield closer 260,000GWh/yr than 130,000 and investing that $200M/yr in wind could replace the missing GW of nuclear in as little as 5 years.
I will say it for the third time, don’t quote new build nuclear power plant costs when I was talking about reopening existing nuclear power plants.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
I will say it for the third time, don’t quote new build nuclear power plant costs when I was talking about reopening existing nuclear power plants.
??? I didn't. My entire post was about EXISTING. An EXISTING nuclear plant costs >$200M/GW/yr to keep operational.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
??? I didn't. My entire post was about EXISTING. An EXISTING nuclear plant costs >$200M/GW/yr to keep operational.
Like you would know. I bet you don't even have a degree in nuclear engineering.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Like you would know. I bet you don't even have a degree in nuclear engineering.
Do you need one to read reports on the cost of nuclear? $200M/GW/yr is being generous. The last report I read cited $600M/yr for the South Texas Project nuclear plant which is 2.6GW.

.... why do you think the DOE is trying to secure $6,000,000,000 to keep a handful of nuclear plant in the US open. They're expensive.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Tesla recently sent a shipment Powerwalls and solar panels to two war ravaged towns in Ukraine to power makeshift hospitals serving the many wounded. We need more companies like Tesla sending as much humanitarian aid as possible to Ukraine. There are thousands of civilians who have been living in cold, damp, dark basements for weeks.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Tesla recently sent a shipment Powerwalls and solar panels to two war ravaged towns in Ukraine to power makeshift hospitals serving the many wounded. We need more companies like Tesla sending as much humanitarian aid as possible to Ukraine. There are thousands of civilians who have been living in cold, damp, dark basements for weeks.
I don't disagree with you at all.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I posted on insideevs.com That I double dog dared Bezos and Zuckerberg to match Elon. It was amazing that some nut thought that I was criticizing Elon.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I posted on insideevs.com That I double dog dared Bezos and Zuckerberg to match Elon. It was amazing that some nut thought that I was criticizing Elon.
Yeah, the ratio of trolls and zealots to normal folk is never good in those comment sections. I still peruse the comments for amusement, but gave up on trying to add rational commentary.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Honestly it would probably have been better for Tesla to send a cash donation. Then the Ukraines could have used it for whatever they really need, not for setting up solar panels and batteries in a combat zone.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honestly it would probably have been better for Tesla to send a cash donation. Then the Ukraines could have used it for whatever they really need, not for setting up solar panels and batteries in a combat zone.
Definitely not. Cash has a way of finding it's way into the wrong pockets in that region. Besides, those towns outside Kyiv aren't really a combat zone any longer. The Russians were pushed out and are now concentrating their efforts on the east and south of Ukraine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would you feel the same way if say VW donated a bunch of tdi ambulances, generators, or vans to evacuate Ukranians? I haven't heard of VW making such a donation but Ford and GM have chipped in:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I agree that there is the humanitarian motive, but I'm some of it is also advertising. Cash doesn't advertise as well as Tesla Powerwall, since it's emblazoned on the product, and people will constantly see it and be reminded of Tesla's generosity. Memories from cash fade away quicker.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Lol Tesla‘s been generous all right, they’ve been generous and smooshing in the government into subsidizing EVs. Whatever they do, They must have motives.

Who remembers when musk said we must demand change from the senators ? At least he does what he says he gonna do unlike a lot of people. I wish he would renig and admit that he was wrong maybe start a race car company that uses hybrid diesel technology to defeat Tesla

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nah, Tesla is full steam ahead on EVs. Fremont cranking them out. Austin cranking them out. Grunheide cranking them out. Shanghai cranking them out. And news today that Tesla is building another massive gigafactory in Shanghai right next to the existing one. They'll be outproducing Toyota in a few more years.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's some details on the Giga Shanghai expansion:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
There wasn't much interest, in the past at work, about my cars. All of a sudden there's lots of questions. What changed? :p

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There wasn't much interest, in the past at work, about my cars. All of a sudden there's lots of questions. What changed? :p
I'm guessing it's the ~$4.30 gas more than the ~$6.30 diesel. Though a buddy of mine with a diesel Colorado just told me he wants his next truck to be electric.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I dont hear the compalints now like i did back under Obama had the big gas inflation. I dont remember how many years ago that was. Everyone was up in arms. Same people arent saying a peep and continuing to drive their big trucks.

It costs more to run my golf @ 50 mpg than my 19 Rav4 hybrid @ 40 mpg. I spend $12 per commute with the Golf and $9 per commute with the Rav.

Its a little disappointing to see that but im not going to run my Rav into the ground just to save $15 per week.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s because they are embarrassed about holding a 6 year note on a $60k truck or land barge that they can’t resell and dealers don’t want to take as a trade in . I’m old enough to have seen this cycle at least 4 times.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That’s because they are embarrassed about holding a 6 year note on a $60k truck or land barge that they can’t resell and dealers don’t want to take as a trade in . I’m old enough to have seen this cycle at least 4 times.
Look around, there are multiple stories out there of people getting out of their upside down cars right now.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With the insane EV demand these oil prices are creating, Giga Texas and the VW EV plant in Chattanooga can't ramp up fast enough. Even if oil prices don't stay this elevated for long, the damage to ICEVs has been done.