2015 Passat: Air bag light comes and goes and so does the cruise control does not work/works

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Ok folks I took the plunge into the "clean diesel" world and I purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SE (emissions intact) from a very nice TDIClub member in Florida (thank you Bob!).

Now to one of the first observations /quirks: at times the air bag light comes and when this happens the cruise control does not work.

Then it goes away on its own and the cruise control works again.

Thoughts/experiences/solutions ... ?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Clock spring? Do you have a clicking when turning is another indication

Snizzbob

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG
Check and clean the connections for the drivers seat. I changed the drivers seat the day before you picked up the car, and it didnt do this before.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On some of the models, if the brake lights were acting up, then cruise would not work. Maybe have someone stand behind you and see if all the lights work.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
There was a recall for defective clock springs in these Passats. I believe 2012-2014, but call a dealer and give them your VIN number to see if your car is eligible. Apparently the recall is by VIN number and build date, not necessarily model year.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Most passats 12-18 have a warranty extension on the clock spring up to 10 years/120k from original in service date.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Check and clean the connections for the drivers seat. I changed the drivers seat the day before you picked up the car, and it didnt do this before.
Got it. Thank you for this, I will look into it and clean as necessary.

Part II of the discussion: "clock spring", this is a new term to me. Would someone elucidate further please?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It needs a new clockspring. Common, should be under a warranty extension.

It is the part that connects all the electronics in the steering wheel to the steering column. It is called a clockspring because inside it is a ribbon cable.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Clock spring is the ribbon cable that connects all the steering wheel electronics to the car. It is wound up in there like an old time clock spring so that it can wind and unwind as you turn the steering wheel without breaking the ribbon cable.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you very much oilhammer and Lightflyer1!

My 2015 Passat had close to 170k miles so it would be fair to say that no type of original and/or extended warranty applies anymore to this specific situation, correct?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello again and thanks for the additional responses.

So besides visually inspecting/adjusting the connections of the driver's seat, are we talking about using a dielectric spray cleaner of some sort. Anything more specific?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
A little dielectric grease inside the plug will help too

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
A little dielectric grease inside the plug will help too
Thanks for the feedback.

I did look underneath the driver's seat and I could count up to six electric connectors between the seat and the rest of the vehicle. I did a visual inspection and I did not see anything loose that I could 'fix'. I decided to leave it as such and first resolve the other codes I have related to the ABS speed sensor (posted in a different thread).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
umm read the codes, there's 100 different things that can cause the airbag light to go off on the cluster.

Something a simple as disconnecting the air bag light on the dash while the battery is connected will sett the issue.

I'd much rather know the BMC thinks it's the clock spring before tossing parts at it.