My sportwagen thread

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Did he say how often that happened? Getting ready to install my kit. What were the signs of it happening?
Also it seems like many companies but the pumps from him. So it happens. Stevenson gets his pumps. Just irritating.

SoundGuy215

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Odd smell of diesel, crappy mileage. Low rail pressure code when floored. Something in the pump just went bad. I've read that the piston locks up and spits it out. It happened in under 200 miles. So check it throughly. Put a rag around it and romp it round town and see if it's at all wett.
It was a pain to prime. I had fuel to it, cranked for 10 sec, priming in-between. Had to crack the main high pressure line loose to prime it. I've also read that if the checkball gets forgotten, it'll spit out one of the "suction valves". He seems to turn many of them out.
I messaged him 2am his time, sent a pic. He immediately sent one out for me. So imma try to find the rebuild kit for it. 9637317380 Is the pn of the pump.
I'm almost at 200miles with my CP3 pump with no issues. But then again, I got mine through GDM and it looks a bit different than XMAN's. Mine was also super easy to prime...even without the AUX pump installed. Used VCDS to run the pump activation test 3 times, cranked for 3 seconds and fired right up.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm almost at 200miles with my CP3 pump with no issues. But then again, I got mine through GDM and it looks a bit different than XMAN's. Mine was also super easy to prime...even without the AUX pump installed. Used VCDS to run the pump activation test 3 times, cranked for 3 seconds and fired right up.
Mine was not easy to prime. So probably not right to begin with. I had to crack the rail feed line. I wonder if they are the same pumps..

SoundGuy215

TDI
Mine was not easy to prime. So probably not right to begin with. I had to crack the rail feed line. I wonder if they are the same pumps..
We definitely don't have the same pumps. I was actually trying to figure out what the heck I had yesterday, but couldn't. I know yours was a reman R70 from XMAN. Mine was a brand new pump from German Diesel Moterwerks, but get this.....its not even the same one on the picture that they have on their site. The one on their site looks like yours (R70). Mine has the high pressure fuel line coming out in a completely different place and also the return and supply barbs are different. Most I could find was this it's possibly a cp3 pump for 03-07 Dodge Cummins 2500/3500.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^The CP3 pump has an alternative connection for the fuel line. Mine is now connected the same way as yours, with the fuel line oriented to the lower back side of the pump. GDM changed mine because it provided a bit more room for the fuel line for clearance with the oil check. The change was suggested by 2micron, the genius mechanic we can thank for development of the CP3 fitment for our cars.

From the GDM website, "...This kit is recommended to be installed with our high pressure EGR upgrade kit but with a customized fuel rail supply line it can be installed on an unmodified vehicle."​

My understanding is you don't need to use the alternative location for the fuel line if you have the upgraded EGR because then there is more room.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
^^The CP3 pump has an alternative connection for the fuel line. Mine is now connected the same way as yours, with the fuel line oriented to the lower back side of the pump. GDM changed mine because it provided a bit more room for the fuel line for clearance with the oil check. The change was suggested by 2micron, the genius mechanic we can thank for development of the CP3 fitment for our cars.

From the GDM website, "...This kit is recommended to be installed with our high pressure EGR upgrade kit but with a customized fuel rail supply line it can be installed on an unmodified vehicle."​

My understanding is you don't need to use the alternative location for the fuel line if you have the upgraded EGR because then there is more room.
I shoulda just bought the high pressure line. Dipstick tube can't be tightened. With the EGR can't really bend the line to fit.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
We definitely don't have the same pumps. I was actually trying to figure out what the heck I had yesterday, but couldn't. I know yours was a reman R70 from XMAN. Mine was a brand new pump from German Diesel Moterwerks, but get this.....its not even the same one on the picture that they have on their site. The one on their site looks like yours (R70). Mine has the high pressure fuel line coming out in a completely different place and also the return and supply barbs are different. Most I could find was this it's possibly a cp3 pump for 03-07 Dodge Cummins 2500/3500.

I'll post a better pic of the pump. I believe the variations are just the line hookup locations.

SoundGuy215

TDI

Ah I get it now. I was suspecting that was what it was but wasn't sure. What's interesting is that even with their customized fuel rail supply, it doesn't clear the EGR....which was the whole reason why I bought it. Originally I was going to need to keep my EGR since I was in an emissions state (MA), but I since moved and ended up using their racepipe kit (High Pressure EGR Upgrade kit). Only downside is that the hose clamp that they include with the kit is absolutely impossible to get on, so I ended up having to use a regular hose clamp, which means my dipstick tube isn't screwed down like before.

EDIT: I'm and idiot. Called GDM to ask about the hose clamp....It's not a hose clamp. It's just a clamp that goes around the upper section of the racepipe to hold the dipstick tube. You use a regular hose clamp beneath it to hold the intake hose on.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.

I have exact same pump as yours in the picture. That is from 2Micron. So that means GDM had 2Micron stock of CP3’s hence why no leaks or any issues.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I shoulda just bought the high pressure line. Dipstick tube can't be tightened. With the EGR can't really bend the line to fit.
I was so lucky! I had a Frankenstein fuel line after the initial CP3 install, but 2micron voluntered to help me. It turned out he had a custom jig for bending fuel lines and he personally sent one to me. That interaction with 2micron was one of the best things that happened to me with the ownership of my 2010 Golf TDI. That, and the very special help I received from another lifetime VW guy that was so gracious and incredibly helpful with Vag Com expertise before I owned my own VCDS. Of course it was also wonderful to get so much money from VW to keep driving my beloved 2010 Golf TDI!

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I was so lucky! I had a Frankenstein fuel line after the initial CP3 install, but 2micron voluntered to help me. It turned out he had a custom jig for bending fuel lines and he personally sent one to me. That interaction with 2micron was one of the best things that happened to me with the ownership of my 2010 Golf TDI. That, and the very special help I received from another lifetime VW guy that was so gracious and incredibly helpful with Vag Com expertise before I owned my own VCDS. Of course it was also wonderful to get so much money from VW to keep driving my beloved 2010 Golf TDI!
My pump should be here Monday. Hope this one is good.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
YES! same here, I do keep in touch with 2Micron from time to time. He is truly amazing! He did helped me thru the snags in the past with my car and old JSW and several friends CJAA TDI's.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well. Got the replacement pump in Along with the stage 1 injectors. Deffinately have to put a s3 intercooler on. I'm loosing boost out the quick couplers.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Well. Got the replacement pump in Along with the stage 1 injectors. Deffinately have to put a s3 intercooler on. I'm loosing boost out the quick couplers.
nice! keep a eye on the S3 intercooler boss size.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been looking at different ones. There's a few different ones.
ok here's what I have.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
ok here's what I have.

According to malone. All the S3 intercooler does is decrease the time until heat soak. It improves efficiency a little bit also. Will the factory hose work on the S3 intercooler? Until I'm able to replace them obviously.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I doubt stock hoses will fit, do it all at once, less headaches. best to contact darkside and go from there. I took all stock ones off and the hose sizes are different and little different shape due to the intercooler's inlet/outlet size are huge, as shown below.

DARKSIDE S3 INTERCOOLER CORE SIZE:

610mm x 415mm x 55mm - 70mm Inlet/Outlet
GENUINE S3 INTERCOOLER CORE SIZE:

616mm x 409mm x 40mm - 57mm Inlet/Outlet

Steele@3708

TDI
2006 Jetta 2011 Sportwagen
Looking at getting a 2010 TDI soon. Anyone have a good supplier for a plu n play CP-3 mod. That's 2nd thimg on the list. The 1st thing I'll do is add Opt Lube XPD to the tank.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Looking at getting a 2010 TDI soon. Anyone have a good supplier for a plu n play CP-3 mod. That's 2nd thimg on the list. The 1st thing I'll do is add Opt Lube XPD to the tank.
They've been having supplier issues. You can email xman or another company. None are "drop in" the adapter bracket thakes some futsing with to get aligned.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well I got the low miles dsg in. Found out that it was a 2 fold problem. Not only was my pump bad. But the 4th gear solenoid on my mech unit is weak. It no longer cuts power when shifting, it just jitters. Luckily Malone will tune the replacement for free. Just have to rent the tool again.
Guess I'll be able to see if the kess v2 I have works or not.
And man those dsg fit tight while being heavy...
But at least the new dsg engages buttery smooth. No more herky jerky going into 1 or R.

Last edited:

KHCRTDI

TDI
2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Do you have any pictures of your homeade hitch? Thinking about doing one since torklift wants almost 400$ for a 2”.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I'm sorry. You totalled the car at a 5mph impact to a concrete pole? When I was teaching wife to drive stick she full idle right into the same thing you did tiny scratch on the bumper.
You were jot going 5. Maybe 15? Or was it 50?
How on earth could that much damage happen?
I want pics. Not trying to call it out but I've slammed many cars into things harder than this and nothing ever happend.