ALH Clutch Suggestions Needed

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
One can check for worn mounts by how much the engine moves when letting out the clutch (and with a bit of throttle): brakes on (e-brake as well), put in gear and watch engine movement when starting to release clutch- kind of requires two people (one to "drive" and one to "watch"). Bad dogbone mount will readily show up in reverse (engine will rock excessively).

Clutch disks and flywheel surfaces can become heat-checked (excessive stress) and this will result in chatter. I think, however, that even in this case one can still get them to slip via method Nuje describes above.

It's also possible to have this kind of issue if any of the clutch disk lining has shed itself. Not unheard of on disks that still have ample material thickness (and early failures, bad bonding/rivets), but not very common.

SB Stage II daily in the wife's car with Malone Stage III and .219 nozzles and zero issues. Great clutch. I lean towards more expensive parts when performing labor intensive jobs, such as the case with a clutch job (or if there's a substantial safety aspect involved): for an extreme example of the ramifications of using cheap parts in a labor intensive job look for the stories of people installing cheap heater cores- 8 hour book time for this job; one doesn't want to do this kind of job more than once in one's lifetime!

NOTE: Newer Luk 17-050s do NOT hold as much power as earlier units; .206 nozzles and Malone Stage II tune can over-power one of these clutches- I have first-hand experience (I refused to listen to folks warning of this [my reasoning was that I wanted a soft clutch for the wife]); it's not an all out puking kind of over-powering, just a slight slipping feel in the most extreme situation/demand (5th gear and hammering it), though over the longer-term I would expect it to become less resilient.

C.Powell

TDI
MkIV Jetta Station Wagon
Following. Think we shall need a flywheel/clutch job soon. Not committed to getting it tuned but if a light tune were to be contemplated in a year or so what would be the cost effective future proofing option? Got a few weeks to ponder before it goes in for work.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Light tune = LUK 17-050 is the way to go.
Will you stop the upgrades at the "light tune", though....? It's a slippery slope. :D

I used to go with the LUK, but have recently been recommending the G60/VR6 combo to people instead - gives some clutch headroom for an extra ~$100-$150 over the LUK (speaking in CAD, and getting parts in Canada) if you should decide to go Stage 3 or maybe even Stage 4 (if you're not gonna beat on it) in the future.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
IMHO DMFs all suck. Over engineered pieces of cr@p. Throw them in trash and put in proper one piece flywheels. I replaced so many bad DMFs over the years I will never put one in my car.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I had g60 flywheel on daily south bend clutch and maybe someone can see what happened. It got pretty burnt up. It never felt as light or zippy like the endurance does. I got a south bend flywheel just for warranty but it is 1.5 pounds heavier.