CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.

Razvan88

TDI
CBAB

jblack11

TDI
'13 Golf TDI 6MT
Well you can add me to the list finally! Been lurking and waiting on pulling the trigger on this, but needed to do my timing belt and thought what the heck might as well. Used the kit from Whitbread with their remanufactured pump, went on with no real issues. Super happy to hear her start up after this job.

Jwalt

TDI
Jsw
Good afternoon ! Just looking for a little help and I know people here are pros. Just installed a cp3 on a 11 jsw, but it is only getting 8 to 16 bar when trying to start which it is near impossible. Feathering the accelerator has got it started a few times. Blowing white smoke throwing codes for too low fuel pressure in the rail. Curious if the fmv on the pump is bad ? It's the 1.4 Citroen puegot fmv. Car has a stage stage 2 tune tune from malone and cp3 tune also They said it sounds mechanical but gave me nothing else. Can't seem to find any info anywhere of anyone having this issue. Lost what to try next to get it running. Any info or tips to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Good afternoon ! Just looking for a little help and I know people here are pros. Just installed a cp3 on a 11 jsw, but it is only getting 8 to 16 bar when trying to start which it is near impossible. Feathering the accelerator has got it started a few times. Blowing white smoke throwing codes for too low fuel pressure in the rail. Curious if the fmv on the pump is bad ? It's the 1.4 Citroen puegot fmv. Car has a stage stage 2 tune tune from malone and cp3 tune also They said it sounds mechanical but gave me nothing else. Can't seem to find any info anywhere of anyone having this issue. Lost what to try next to get it running. Any info or tips to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Is it the correslct fmv that's required? Or is it just the one that came on the pump that came from the salvage yard.. who did you buy the kit from?

Jwalt

TDI
Jsw
Is it the correslct fmv that's required? Or is it just the one that came on the pump that came from the salvage yard.. who did you buy the kit from?
Part number for the fmv is 0 928 400 643. Asking around that is the "compatible" fmv according to folks. Kit came from diesel DNA tuning. Have been it contact with them for months now. They think it's the fmv, however, they said they have contacted the manufacturer and are showing them the data logs from the car. But after 2 months there is still no resolve as they are waiting for the manufacturer, bosch, to get back to them. That's why I'm reaching out to hear if anyone else has any ideas. When the car runs, which we had to fill the fuel rail manually to do so to get some data, the actual vs supplied pressure in the rail is not equal.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Part number for the fmv is 0 928 400 643. Asking around that is the "compatible" fmv according to folks. Kit came from diesel DNA tuning. Have been it contact with them for months now. They think it's the fmv, however, they said they have contacted the manufacturer and are showing them the data logs from the car. But after 2 months there is still no resolve as they are waiting for the manufacturer, bosch, to get back to them. That's why I'm reaching out to hear if anyone else has any ideas. When the car runs, which we had to fill the fuel rail manually to do so to get some data, the actual vs supplied pressure in the rail is not equal.
Well tell them to send you a replacement fmv

Jwalt

TDI
Jsw
Well tell them to send you a replacement fmv
well i did and this was the response,
"Hello Jason,

We haven't heard back from the manufacturer since you sent the logs yet. Hopefully he can pinpoint it. I really doubt it's a bad pump. I have only ever seen one that needed changing in the thousands we have seen go out and it was because a piece wasn't pressed in properly and eventually worked its way out. but the car never have a problem running or starting even with a hole the size of a quarter in the pump. As soon as I we hear back from him we'll let you know."

so this is why i'm asking if anyone has other ideas or knows if it is definitely the fmv. thanks

"

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
well i did and this was the response,
"Hello Jason,

We haven't heard back from the manufacturer since you sent the logs yet. Hopefully he can pinpoint it. I really doubt it's a bad pump. I have only ever seen one that needed changing in the thousands we have seen go out and it was because a piece wasn't pressed in properly and eventually worked its way out. but the car never have a problem running or starting even with a hole the size of a quarter in the pump. As soon as I we hear back from him we'll let you know."

so this is why i'm asking if anyone has other ideas or knows if it is definitely the fmv. thanks

"
0928400643 that's the one for the fmv I have

Jwalt

TDI
Jsw
0928400643 that's the one for the fmv I have
finally got the car running thanks to Andrew "two micron !" wasn't the fmv at all. He diagnosed it as one or more leaky injectors, and upon replacing them the car started right up. anyone having a white smoke, no fuel pressure at the rail might want to start there. Andrew is the man !

Carter79

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 Vorsprung
I know this is probably somewhere on these forums but I have tried searching for it. Where does the CP3 pump come from? Like the model, make and years of what vehicles? I am curious if I can scavenge some and provide them to people for cheap. Is the CP3 pump the same across the board for every vehicle or are there different versions that work with our vehicle?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There is a huge variety of CP3 pumps. The one I know of that Andrew discovered works is a R70 pump from some Peugeot and Citroen models. Probably not going to find many of those in US junkyards.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you know of any in US that would have the one we need? The Cummins maybe? Or Jeep diesel?
Nope, not unless you're a brilliant fabricator. Not worth it. Andrew started out on that route before discovering the right pump that bolts up with minimal work to adapt. Keep it simple.

Carter79

TDI
2015 Audi Q7 Vorsprung
There is a huge variety of CP3 pumps. The one I know of that Andrew discovered works is a R70 pump from some Peugeot and Citroen models. Probably not going to find many of those in US junkyards.
Do you happen to have the actual part numbers? Like I see Bosch has "0986437303" and that's for a sierra but I am unsure where to find the one for Peugeot and citroen

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I think he mentioned mine was from a Smart car in Canada. The metering valve and its internal piston is the key to having these work correctly with minimal or no tuning.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think he mentioned mine was from a Smart car in Canada. The metering valve and its internal piston is the key to having these work correctly with minimal or no tuning.
Interesting- I didn't even know they made diesel smart cars. I was pretty stoked that the kit Andrew sent didn't require any tuning after installation.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you happen to have the actual part numbers? Like I see Bosch has "0986437303" and that's for a sierra but I am unsure where to find the one for Peugeot and citroen
I had the part number at one time, but ..... I think you can get that from Matt Whitbread.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct fuel meter valve is 928 400 643

Cp3 would be
Citroen / Peugeot 1.4
Also known as 1920EC

adapter plate can be obtained by Matt whitbread aka whitbread performance.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I gotcha.
Dealing with a self ritous samily member. Didn't realize you were listing a different part number for the same pump till later. I also have the same fmv part number.
yep it’s all good. Been there and done that. Glad you didn’t shoot the messenger LOL

Kub213

TDI
2014 jsw
Need opinions, I haven’t spent much time here but hope I can get some good feedback. So I cp3 swapped my car about 3-4 weeks ago when doing the timing belt and I was unfortunately one of the lucky ones to get an xman pump that grenaded itself after 800 miles. Now I don’t know what to do…. All I have done so far is pulled the fuel filter and it was full of metal shavings. The car is stock and a daily driver. I was just trying to make it last, which is why I swapped it.
I bought my kit from whitbread and he immediately contacted xman and although I had zero correspondence with xman, a replacement pump showed up at my house a few days later. It’s no secret there’s been more than a few junk pumps from xman in the last couple months. I found it odd they didn’t ask for Any proof. I asked Matt from whitbread to see if xman was going to offer any compensation for my now destroyed fuel system but he didn’t ask them and they’ve had no contact with me so besides Matt offering a set of used injectors I guess I’m beat.
So I don’t know what to do. I’m kinda scared to spend $2k to replace the fuel system and put the replacement cp3 on and hope it doesn’t happen again…or spend $2500 and go back to a cp4 and forget this whole thing even happened. What would you do?