What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm too lazy to go downstairs and take another photo, but here's an older photo of the 5-speed version that I have had for years. I really like the quality of these shifters too. The knob is a nice leather, as is the boot (though in this photo, I had a separate custom one made in perforated leather to match my GLI perforated steering wheel and handbrake.) When ordering, you can choose the color of the LED, and you can choose all-black, brushed aluminum or chrome trim.

Damn that looks clean!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
That’s a pain in the a$$ for a timing belt job, tho. Jack and wood under the oil pan is much easier as it’s not in the way and it’s quick to lift/lower the motor as needed for access to bolts (mount bracket in particular).
When I did mine, for the headgasket job, I started the job with a block of wood on the oil pan, then realized the car wanted to rise up as I was loosening the engine mount bolts due to no weight from the engine to hold the chassis down. I wonder if that's why some folks tear out the threads on the aluminum engine mount. I stopped, tightened up the bolts, then got out my HF engine support bar that I had already purchased and used that instead. No issues with the chassis lifting up, easy to get the motor mounts lined up and closed up before putting those bolts in.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Damn that's clean! I like how the shift knob glows the same ambient red the rest of the interior has, very fitting and looks great!
You took the words right out of my mouth, err post! HAHAHA

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What I did - 1/2" PEX barbed nipple on my coolant reservoir hose, and 3/4" of the same for power steering, where the accessory pully kissed both. Car ran fine for a 14 mile test drive, without leaking anything. It was nice being able to shift quicker without the engine lurching now that the dogbone mount is done properly with that Timesert, and I'm very happy with my latest Podtronics tune. Even better, that requested and actual boost are damn near spot on. I'm still very disappointed from the logs I got when I still was running a Malone Stage 4 (but on my 2002 Golf - the 2000 Golf came with a mystery tune on the ECU, that we think might be Kerma), where there was a big disparity between requested and actual boost.

So when I get back from vacation, the 2000 Golf is getting Neuspeed sofsport springs, B6 dampers, neuspeed 28mm rear swaybar, replacment AC compressor (so I can do my AC job right the first time), new radiator, and associated radiator hoses and flanges, so $hit doesn't break while I'm driving (ask me how I know).

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just filled up 12.76 gallons at $4.89, but that was with a 10 cent discount and knowing where one supermarket was dueling prices with an Arco and a tribal owned station.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I loved the SofSports on my 02 GTi. Thinking about getting a set for the Jetta...
I'm super eager to see how it is on the rear (on the 2002).I have it on the front, but Suplex towing springs on the rear. I do tow a lot with my 2002 golf, but it'd be nice to reduce rear roll when on corners.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Zak … just went through this on youngest car…… shredded acc belt…..found tensioner pulley seized , replace it at first thought it was alt pulley but everything turned ….month later belt shredded again….. this time it wad the plastic idler pulley…..it turned but it was mangled and actually worn down 1/32 compared to where the belt didn’t ride on.

I’ve also done 5 TB changes with a jack and block of wood with jack stands too.
Also did a clutch job on youngest two months ago on jack stands…..trick is , is to get it high enough 😉

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Gentlemen, I would like your opinion on something; I need to do a timing belt and a clutch and work on the turbo, would it just be easier to remove the engine and transmission? Is it as easy as most normal cars, pull the axles, engine mounts wiring and just pull it and do it on the bench? I also have to replace the red so kind of seems to me like I got to take everything out anyways.

And since I want to do the clutch and timing belt at 185,000 MI, I wish I could replace the seals on the turbo. Or should I just get a whole new setup?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
For me it's easier to do those in chassis. I hate disconnecting the drivelines. If I were doing a clutch that's a different story. To do the turbo in chassis take the intake off, remove turbo out the top.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Why the turbo?
I ve done the TB in the car , removed just the trans for clutch replacement. And pulled the turbo by itself.
My opinion…..too many thing to do at once that may cause you headaches.
Personally I’d do the easiest first , drive it a week, then do the next and leave the clutch for last.
Is the DMF rattling? Or slipping? Or just preventive?

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Why the turbo?
I ve done the TB in the car , removed just the trans for clutch replacement. And pulled the turbo by itself.
My opinion…..too many thing to do at once that may cause you headaches.
Personally I’d do the easiest first , drive it a week, then do the next and leave the clutch for last.
Is the DMF rattling? Or slipping? Or just preventive?
Clutch slips when hot. Turbo has a sticky vane. I have all new boots good the CV. And want to do the engine and tranny output/input seals too.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Gentlemen, I would like your opinion on something; I need to do a timing belt and a clutch and work on the turbo, would it just be easier to remove the engine and transmission? Is it as easy as most normal cars, pull the axles, engine mounts wiring and just pull it and do it on the bench? I also have to replace the red so kind of seems to me like I got to take everything out anyways.

And since I want to do the clutch and timing belt at 185,000 MI, I wish I could replace the seals on the turbo. Or should I just get a whole new setup?
Timing belt on the car - easy peasy. Same for the turbo. I wouldn't pull the motor unless your block is foo-barred.

And turbos are cheap enough, I'd just get a new Melett from darkside and call it a day. You can get a VNT17 for about $550-ish shipped. I have one in my 2003 Ute and my 2002 Golf and no problems with either.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Clutch slips when hot. Turbo has a sticky vane. I have all new boots good the CV. And want to do the engine and tranny output/input seals too.
If you have to do the clutch, it's not too much extra to pull the whole dang chunk out and just rebuild/reseal it, then put it back in. It's what I would do in this case.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
And as for what I did today - swapped out the rear towing springs and put in Neuspeed sofsport. Uncompressed, it's about a 2" difference. On the car, maybe about a 3/4" difference? Couldn't really have fun with the car, because we had rain today, but from my quick test drive, it definitely handles a lot better. I also have brand new Conti DWS06 Plus, but 225 45R17. Got 17" rims from a salvage yard (non-self-serve) for $65 apiece, to match two I got from a junkyard of the same pattern. The 2000 Golf got what was on the 2002 (DWS06 plus 16's in the front and DWS06 in the rear).

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Zak … just went through this on youngest car…… shredded acc belt…..found tensioner pulley seized , replace it at first thought it was alt pulley but everything turned ….month later belt shredded again….. this time it wad the plastic idler pulley…..it turned but it was mangled and actually worn down 1/32 compared to where the belt didn’t ride on.

I’ve also done 5 TB changes with a jack and block of wood with jack stands too.
Also did a clutch job on youngest two months ago on jack stands…..trick is , is to get it high enough 😉
Just ordered a new tensioner assembly and idler pulley. I figure they need to be done anyway (with the leaking damper and play in the idler). If one of these fixes my bearing noise, I'll be happy as a clam. If not I guess I'm looking at a new PS pump, as the sound seems to be coming from that area, and there's bascially nothing else it could be (I installed a new clutch pulley on the A/C last summer).

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well my baby is going into the shop tomorrow. Turn on the a/c and a loud, bucket of bolts sound comes from under the hood. Everything else works fine. New compressor after 21 years - guess it’s about time. That and I think a new thermostat. Temp is not staying rock steady as it should even though the water pump was changed in the last couple of years. Fans are new and cycle on and off just fine - did that job myself. Maybe the radiator needs changing? Eh, I’ll let my guy in FC figure it out.

Bobo4255

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Manual
Headliner out, passenger rear drain-drip fixed, new headliner fabric, headliner back in. Undecided if I'm mad at myself for not dealing with the sliding sunroof cover at the same time, but the web says that's even more of a PITA, and it's not drooping so I left it alone.

Have a new coolant temp sensor on hand, but I need re-wire the sensor plug as it seems I or someone else found their way into the wiring harness on the back-side of the plug. So likely I have a short, TBD whether the sensor needs changed . . . and if I don't need to free the coolant, I won't.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do to my mk6 today? Blew a boost pipe after replacing a boost hose. Limped it back home and swapped it out for the 2000 Golf. Even though it's still in testing phases, I'm very happy with my Podtronics tune, and the FIS still claimed I got over 44mpg on the way home!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dang that looks good. Your adjustment looks a little low, but could be an optical illusion of the photo.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Dang that looks good. Your adjustment looks a little low, but could be an optical illusion of the photo.
The height is set per DOT standards for projectors. Vehicle at 25 ft on flat surface, lower projector line step should be 2.1-2.5" below the measurement from the ground to the center of the physical projector:

Visibility is good, could be the angle. I'm standing up straight and basically taking the photo "down" on the cutoff.
If you look at my V2.0 thread I put a few more output shots of "real life" illumination when in my driveway as well as some shots from the driver seat.