uphostery material

klee

TDI
1999 MK4 Jetta TDI
I just purchased a 2003 Jetta TDI. 235k miles. Seems to run decently. However, the interior is sad. The car is silver in color. Does anyone know where I can purchase material for the headliner and doors that would match the original? Also, does anyone know where I can get a carpet kit to also match the original?

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
For the headliner, there are a few sites that specialize in selling material that is similar to OEM. The headliner fabric has a thin foam layer attached to it, which is also what makes a DIY project very time consuming and messy. You may want to search the forums to see how nasty it can get.

There used to be another site called Headliner Doctor, but it looks like it's dead. However, if you Google "headliner doctor and VW Jetta," various places still seem to sell their fabrics.

Your dealer may still be able to get one too, though some variations are NLA/no longer available. I don't remember which, but there are sedan and wagon versions and with-sunroof and without-sunroof versions. I know at least one is NLA and impossible to find. The dealer cost is probably $400-500.

I don't recommend a headliner from a donor car, because if it hasn't sagged yet, it will.

For the doors, I'm not so sure. I think that's a thicker fabric. You may have good luck finding the panels from a donor car. Or, someone here might have better info. I have a leather interior so I haven't done research on the door panels.

For a carpet, it may depend on your budget. If it is low, finding a super clean donor car is probably your best bet. If you have $400-500 to spend, your dealer may be a good option because you wouldn't have to pay for shipping like if you bought one from a parts reseller, which can add a lot to the price (which is the same case for a headliner too.)

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
You can get headliner material (Generic) at Joann fabric and at Hobby Lobby.

Get the real deal 3M headliner glue.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I've done several headliners in my fleet of mk4 VWs. The favorite in the family is the real camo headliner in one of the Jetta sedans. I purchased the material on ebay. As mjydrafter mentioned, use the 3M headliner adhesive.

Make sure when you remove the headliner board, wire brush all the old foam/adhesive off before spraying the new adhesive. I usually would lay the material on the board, then fold it back halfway. Spray the board, then the material/foam that is folded back. Carefully place the material in to place. You only get one chance to do it right. Do the same thing with the other half of the material.

Eric