What micron and how?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I won’t speak for anybody else, but I put 275k on my first Jetta, mostly on WVO. The miles weren’t a hobby, they were just driving. But converting the car and making the fuel, that was the hobby. A hobby that saves you lots of money - how great is that.

Last edited:

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
I found the email detailing my original Frybrid order. The kit cost $1715. That included the flat plate heat exchanger and 3rd solenoid valve. At the time it was a choice between Frybrid and Greasecar. I just liked the Frybrid setup and equipment better. Greasecar would have been less.

As Philngrayce said, the wvo/alternate energy thing is the hobby part. I drove the car that many miles for work & pleasure. I made many long-distance trips. A good number were in the range of 2000 miles. Some work related, some vacation. A lot were down to New Orleans. Many were to Denver to visit my daughter and do a little skiing. Every year I drive to Baltimore at least once. Once we visited friends up in Toronto, Canada, then drove to New York. I was in Maryland a few weeks ago. Nothing like driving past gas stations and truck stops with diesel prices over $5 knowing you don't have to stop. Yes, I can carry that much to make those trips.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Wow just checked back in. Man a lot has happened. So if i dump filtered oil in my car will i save moeny or not? Lol.

I have some extra time. And if its cheapish and ok to do im all for it as it'll save me money. As long as i don't have to worry about catastrophic engine failure. Im in school and not currently working so i mean a dollar saved is a dollar saved ya know? I also have access to large quantities of waste engine oil I can filter to 10 micron and burn. Sounds like its safe?....from what I've heard.
Lil diesel, and a lil oil =cheaper fuel. Not trying to be a total hack, but if it saves money and works then I'll do it. Im putting on 120 miles a day and with diesel prices it pains me, so im all for cheap fuel lol

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
catastrophic... defiantly not. as long as you do things fairly properly. the investment can defiantly pay off.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Wow just checked back in. Man a lot has happened. So if i dump filtered oil in my car will i save moeny or not? Lol.

I have some extra time. And if its cheapish and ok to do im all for it as it'll save me money. As long as i don't have to worry about catastrophic engine failure. Im in school and not currently working so i mean a dollar saved is a dollar saved ya know? I also have access to large quantities of waste engine oil I can filter to 10 micron and burn. Sounds like its safe?....from what I've heard.
Lil diesel, and a lil oil =cheaper fuel. Not trying to be a total hack, but if it saves money and works then I'll do it. Im putting on 120 miles a day and with diesel prices it pains me, so im all for cheap fuel lol
I think most of the discussion here has been about WVO and biodiesel. If you do them properly and carefully, I believe your car will probably run for a long time and you will save some money. Whether you will save enough to make it worth the effort is a personal decision.

If you just want to filter some old engine oil and put it in your tank, you are on your own in uncharted territory. I do not recommend you do that. You will have unknown, possibly hazardous but certainly dirtier exhaust, you won’t learn much or save a lot of money and you may ruin your engine. If you are a student and need your car, I think it is a very bad idea. Please think this one throuh and do some more research.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I may have found a place to get wvo from, so i may start getting it there. I just have to check in with them and see if i can take it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I was going to do that when I first got the Jetta but (at least in my area) there is a force almost mafia like thing where companies get paid to take it. Finding someone willing to cross the Don and give you some of that precious bubbling crude! Good luck!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I was going to do that when I first got the Jetta but (at least in my area) there is a force almost mafia like thing where companies get paid to take it. Finding someone willing to cross the Don and give you some of that precious bubbling crude! Good luck!
Ya we'll see. This is a local country bar and i sww some next to their dumpster so itmay be spoken for on a weekly basis but im going to ask anyway. I still have to find a safish cheap way to get the water out without a heater. As I don't have electric at my storage site. Looking at getting a gas engine diesel pump to pump it into the car. Found one on fb for 100$ obo

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
If the oil sits for a long time, the water will settle to the bottom without heat. Much of the sediment will also settle out, making filtering easier. But you still have to filter it, and you should have some sort of heated system in the car, ideally a two tank setup with heated lines and filters.

If you can store/settle/filter it five feet above the ground, maybe you can let gravity pump it into your car. You could also use a 12 volt pump, or a 110 volt one with an inverter.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spending money on fuel to clean fuel.. makes sence.
You pay for storage?
Make sure you crunch numbers or you may spend more time and money than you planned.

TDI
ALH

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
catastrophic... defiantly not. as long as you do things fairly properly. the investment can defiantly pay off.
I've run my mk6 about a thousand miles on a wmo diesel mix. Filtered through a 10 micron absolute filter then let it set for a week and draw off the top. Granted I'm not stock, starts a bit harder and it smokes a bit more. Along with the exhaust is more stinky. But it halves my fuel cost.
Yes filters cost $ and so does the powe / time to get the oil.

So when I get the oil I let it settle, drain the crap off the bottom. Add a gal of gas to 30 gal of oil. Then I run a 30 micron screen filter on a loop for a day, cleaning it when nessisary. I pump 10 gal of it out and fill the 35 gal barrel with diesel. I add my water seperator and 10 micron water stop filter to the loop and let it cycle for another day. Then I fill Jerry cans with the mix. Dump 6 gal into my tank and fill up with diesel. Have to not do short trips to avoid coking.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ya we'll see. This is a local country bar and i sww some next to their dumpster so itmay be spoken for on a weekly basis but im going to ask anyway. I still have to find a safish cheap way to get the water out without a heater. As I don't have electric at my storage site. Looking at getting a gas engine diesel pump to pump it into the car. Found one on fb for 100$ obo
A generator would probably be easier.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Straight WVO has lot of fatty acids that wan to gum everything up. I read of a guy that heats his oil, adds baking soda, circulates for a couple of hours, IIRC, then lets it settle and filters it. He states it works, but I don't know what he did for specific testing

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
"sock filter"
get you some of them, like 10 micron or thereabouts
that'll strain out the worst of it

don't use a finer filter on the car unless you're running a lift pump, your injection pump's timing advance system needs a free flowing fuel filter which is why the ALH cars have a 23 micron element when the newer and older ones are 10 micron

veg oil... I'm not particularly sold on running, what with how much crankcase oil you gain over time when running thicker fuel
all that fuel's going past the piston rings, and when it is motor oil that's "fine", but I'd imagine the vegetable oil to not be quite as thermally stable and the piston rings to get pretty hot