Chattering squeak from transmission side - Throwout bearing? *video added

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Hi everyone
2013 Sportwagen 6MT, 64K miles, routine brake fluid flush about 6 months ago. Starting 2 weeks ago, I occasionally hear that shattering squeak from the transmission side when I am sitting in neutral with my foot off the clutch. If I depress the clutch, the sound will entirely silence or significantly reduce. If I release the clutch, it starts squeaking at the point it engages the flywheel. Some days I don't hear it at all and others is at almost every stop light. It has been getting a bit more frequent, though. It sounds a lot like a bad or overtightened idler pulley.
The car came from Santa Ana, CA with only 28k miles on it, so I don't know the habits of that driver, but it may have seen lots of city and hill inclines. I've always made an effort to not have the clutch engaged when sitting still. I even coast in gear and finally knock it to neutral when I dip under 1,1150RPM and coast the rest of the way to the light. The longest I'll ever have my foot in the clutch is 5-10 seconds at most in anticipation of traffic moving.

What component do you think is failing? How long can I get by? Will one month of driving while I try to line up a local guru cause any catastrophic damage? What gurus remain in the central FL region? If I need to replace, what's the benefit/risks of converting to a SMF while it's apart?

I'll see if I can post a video tomorrow if I can capture the sound. Thanks!

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
DO NOT go with SMF on these cars. You will shatter the synchro's. Just take a quick search on here with people who have done SMF and how long its lasted.

With regards to your noise, without a video, sounds like the release bearing. Mine has been doing the same thing for months.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Thanks for the info on SMF. I mistakenly read years ago that SMF was hyped as being better.

Here is the video. When i set the phone down, i go in the car and depress/release the clutch 4-5 times. It's actually being louder when the pedal is depressed today 😔 It usually gets quieter when depressed. You can really hear it screech as I release the clutch quickly.

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
For gas cars, Yes thats usually what people go with. Also, for TDIs, I know Mk4s handle them well. I know a couple people who never had issues with them. It seems to be just the mk5/mk6 transmissions that have an issue with them.