Peculiar Driver's Door Issue

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Ok. After my car has been sitting locked overnight and I unlock the doors, I cannot open the driver's side door from the outside. I have to open it from the inside. Once I do I can lock and unlock it and I can open it from the from the outside.

Let it sit a while and it won't open from the outside after being locked. I simply don't understand. Anyone have any ideas?

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
After locking overnight, and you "unlock" with keyfob, if handle does not open the door, try pressing at top right of driver's side window frame (about 10 inches from top of door), and you will hear a slight "click". then open door with handle.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
When you open it from the inside, do you need to pull the handle once or twice?
Just once.

Cable needs adjustment.

Seems like if it never worked this might be the answer. Mine quits after it sits a while. I will check it just in case.

After locking overnight, and you "unlock" with keyfob, if handle does not open the door, try pressing at top right of driver's side window frame (about 10 inches from top of door), and you will hear a slight "click". then open door with handle.
I'll give this a try.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Seems like if it never worked this might be the answer. Mine quits after it sits a while. I will check it just in case
Yours works intermittently. In my experience that means it needs adjustment - the cable gradually stretches over the years. It may respond to pressing or banging as others have posted, but will slowly get worse and eventually quit working completely until it is adjusted.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
It's not a TV from 1990!
You think I'm joking? On my 2001 before replacing the lock modules, 3 of the 4 doors did this. Hit em lightly once, and then they opened from the outside. They would open the first try from the inside each time. Now I'll be honest, I don't know if it was due to the new modules or adjusting the cables, either way, they no longer do this.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You think I'm joking? On my 2001 before replacing the lock modules, 3 of the 4 doors did this. Hit em lightly once, and then they opened from the outside. They would open the first try from the inside each time. Now I'll be honest, I don't know if it was due to the new modules or adjusting the cables, either way, they no longer do this.
Oh i belive you Fonzie!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I vaguely remember the outside double pull and banging the door.
after cursing the door several times I got the new VW latch mechanism.

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Been busy lately and haven't had time to get back to this...

and the winner is ...

I'll try adjusting the door handle later. Until then I will consider it my secondary security system.