ALH Turbo...can things be re-oriented?

arminyack

TDI
1973 VW Bus ALH
So I have an ALH swapped VW bus. I am currently looking into redoing my intercooler set up, as my AIT's are just too damn high. My biggest limitation is space. The cold side of the turbo is oriented such that the outlet faces straight down (6 o'clock). Can the cold side be rotated on its mounting bolts to have the outlet stick straight out, away from the engine (9 o'clock-ish)? If so, is it a matter of just unbolting it, and re-bolted it back on in the desires orientation?

On the hot side....can the VATN actuator be re-oriented as well? Its also sticking downwards...right where I do not want it to be...

TIA!

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
On the cold side:
I turn it when installing a VNT-15 in the MK1s and IIs.
If you loosen the 8mm bolts holding the snail on you can turn it.

On mine there is a bolt that lines up with the oil supply line fitting when done so I leave one bolt out on the top

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You can rotate the pressure side (cool side) 360 at any angle you like to fit your needs without functional issues! I rotated mine a little more than 90 degrees clockwise to make it easier to connect the inlet host to the Inter Cooler. It has been in that position almost 12 years and more than 85k miles! Works fine!

Jettawreck take the space out between Andy & Bees ........ AndyBees

The pic below is about the angle it has been all these years. Oh, and the drain-back with a trap in it has not been problematic either.

Last edited: