OMI meaning in Car-part listing

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
Weird... Here, OMI means Old Man Intake and it has ZERO to do with a 5 speed swap

Not a clue what they are saying 🙃

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
o1m maybe?

That is the VW code for the O1M 4 speed automatic transmission in the mk4's?(among other VW's also)

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
....... OLD MAN INTAKE... are you on drugs? LOL my sides.....

then i get real and google just for kicks.
MY GOD... YOU WERE RIGHT.
it IS OLD MAN INTAKE,

https://kermatdi.com/i-1083-kerma-omi-oldman-intake-for-bew-engines-mk4-bew.html

Behold, the newest version of the legendary "Oldman" intake pipe.
If you look at your intake pipe from the airbox to the turbo, you'll see it's a twisted mess. This is not the best for flow.
This OMI intake pipe streamlines this twisted plastic mess that came from the factory and give the intake a tough sound to boot.
The benefits:
  • Retains the factory accordion hose to allow movement of the engine which differs from the movement of the air intake system.
  • Gets rid of the unnecessary CCV heater and connects to the CCV puck in its current position.
  • Easy install with some room to manipulate it for desired fitment.

ALSO this was a thread from 2001
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/tdi-intake-my-take-the-laymans-veiw.12726/

So yes Oldman intake is correct!

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
LOL like I said in that other thread, 17 years is a long time to be on a forum. I'm sure there is a long long list of stuff that could be mentioned that only old timers would have a clue what the heck is being discussed... but I can't remember right this second.

That said, I still can't figure out what OMI means in this reference... I feel like the I is for interchange because that is used all the time in salvage yard terminology, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the rest.