02 jetta TDI injector pump

Dixon

TDI
2002 manual Jetta TDI
My 02 jetta TDI was having an issue, took it to a family friend mechanic who has always worked on all of our vehicles, says the injector pump is bad. My glow plug light came on and while it started up just fine it’d randomly start running rough. Unfortunately my mechanic doesn’t have all the correct tools for VW parts (he mostly does American made vehicles) and quoted me $2k+ (he thinks it’d cost). So my question is this worth fixing? My jetta has been an amazing car and I feel like definitely has a lot of life left in it. Also if anyone knows of any VW mechanics in/near Salem, OR please let me know! I’d be tempted to fix it myself if it’s not too hard of a job, but I just don’t know what to do.

Edit to add: it’s throwing codes P1562 and P1563

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DFIS is THE place that rebuilds those pumps, and they are in Portland (I think). Hopefully someone will chime in with a shop close to you that can take care of it.

Rebuilding an ALH pump and keeping the car on the road is probably a better move than trying to buy anything else. If that car is in otherwise good order, it will easily outlast anything new Volkswagen could sell you.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
a good used pump might be $300- 500. surely there must be a competant , experienced mechanic locally.

Dixon

TDI
2002 manual Jetta TDI
I’ve never used a different mechanic. Luckily everything I’ve had him work on so far has been easy routine maintenance stuff that he had tools for. He’s a great mechanic and has even worked on my dads dump trucks. But unfortunately because of the special tools VW vehicles require he just doesn’t have all of them. This is my first VW, I’ve had it since 2020 so I’m still learning things about them. I can haul it to Portland if needed but would rather have a local mechanic

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Tell us more about the vehicle such as:
-Miles on the odometer
-When was the timing belt changed last
-Who did the last timing belt service
-When was the fuel filter changed last (dang, I hate asking that question)
-Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on?
-If so, has there been a scan using Vag Com Diagnostic Systems (VCDS)
-If so, what are the Diagnostic Test Codes (DTCs)
-Tell us more about what it is doing and when
-Flashing Glow-plug light can be any of at least one dozen issues (there is a list somewhere on this site)

.......... if the engine is idling rough, it may need the Injection Quantity adjusted

If this car was "perfect" for the year model, etc., who would you get to do a Timing Belt job?
Have you looked above in the Trust Mechanics - by State? Surely there is a Guru in your neck of the woods.

Dixon

TDI
2002 manual Jetta TDI
Tell us more about the vehicle such as:
-Miles on the odometer
-When was the timing belt changed last
-Who did the last timing belt service
-When was the fuel filter changed last (dang, I hate asking that question)
-Is the Check Engine Light (CEL) on?
-If so, has there been a scan using Vag Com Diagnostic Systems (VCDS)
-If so, what are the Diagnostic Test Codes (DTCs)
-Tell us more about what it is doing and when
-Flashing Glow-plug light can be any of at least one dozen issues (there is a list somewhere on this site)

.......... if the engine is idling rough, it may need the Injection Quantity adjusted

If this car was "perfect" for the year model, etc., who would you get to do a Timing Belt job?
Have you looked above in the Trust Mechanics - by State? Surely there is a Guru in your neck of the woods.
The car has 310,000 miles (roughly, it says 210,000 but previous owner says it “may” have about 100k more due to original owner changing out the odometer). It had a new timing belt in June 2020, done by my mechanic. I did the fuel filter in November. Check engine light is on due to EGR delete. My mechanic scanned it today and it threw codes P1562 and P1563. Now, for what the car is doing exactly: turn on fine (sometimes when it’s cold it takes it a second) drives good. It has started when idling to “hiccup” almost like a misfire but also seems like it’s getting a bigger burst of fuel for some reason. I have the EVRY mod which when turned on adds more fuel into the system, and it does the same type of “hiccup” so that’s why I’m thinking it’s adding more fuel. I’ve had the mod off so I know it’s not because of it. Now that the glow plug light has come on it will sometimes hiccup when actually driving. It’s not constant. And actually when driving it back from the mechanics the glow plug light was off and it was acting totally normal.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If your mechanic can do a TB job, well, he can remove the IP and install a new or used one. However, I'd search out all possible causes before throwing in the towel to IP replacement.

Here is a link to some discussion relating to the DTC 1562 (take notice to Post #4) https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/code-p1562-opinion-poll.312131/

There is also some good reading here > https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/quantity-adjustor-cleaned.327492/

More reading .. >> http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17971/P1563/005475

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It would help to diagnose this issue further before throwing parts and $ at it.
No offense to your mechanic, but you should look at our trusted TDI mechanics in your area thread on the top of page TDI 101

either send DFIS your pump or buy one on ebay and have it shipped to them to be rebuild.
taking it out and putting one back in is fairly easy.
You will need a timing belt tensioner tool, and some clamps and normal tool set of sockets and wrenches ect...
take timing cover off and TDC the engine from the crank bolt, clamp the belt to the cam and the crank sprocket, Put a drill bit into the IP lock out take the tension off the belt with the special tool, remove IP and the lines with a crows foot / fuel line wrenches, plenty of paper towels to catch fuel and you can order the red caps that will cap off the fuel line ports on the head of the IP. drain all its fuel and wrap it up in like 3x ziplock bags with pig mats in each, put into box with plenty of padding and a few pig mats and ship it to them.

2 grand? LOL NO. to have it removed and installed by someone who is a TDI mechanic who knows these cars... i cant speak for them... but i would charge you for 5 hours for the entire job plus materials / parts. $600 for the IP rebuild from DFIS.. last time i checked.... and another $600 for labor, this is just back of the envelope. But for your mechanic that seems like a normal shooting from the hip by looking at the pirce of a new pump from ID parts.

look up the timing belt DIY and to see what its going to take to do some of those steps.