Bad camshaft VS bad rod bearing.

Tasha_BRM

TDI
2005 Jetta
Hey guys, I’m having an interesting issue with my 2005.5 BRM. I have a thumping noise coming from my air intake, havent driven the car sense I heard the noise because I didn't want to damage it more. After doing some of my own research and caming to the conclusion that my camshaft was most likely bad, I took it to a “Trusted” Mechanic in Sacramento because I’m out of town and cant take it to my mechanic back home. They just called and told me my Rod bearing failed which really threw me off being that, that means I have to either get a new car, rebuild my engine etc. I’m not sure if I trust what he says because all the symptoms I’m having don't add up to it being a bad rod bearing. Maybe he’s right and Stella is toast but do you guys have any recommendations for a second opinion here in Sacramento California or any idea if this could be true? Thank you!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I think it would be reasonable for them to send pictures of the damage and good profiles on the cam lobes. That's just me though.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Rod bearings don't thump in the intake. The intake bupping noise is so common on these, the next step is always to remove the valve cover and verify that the cam lobes and/or lifters are worn.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey guys, I’m having an interesting issue with my 2005.5 BRM. I have a thumping noise coming from my air intake, havent driven the car sense I heard the noise because I didn't want to damage it more. After doing some of my own research and caming to the conclusion that my camshaft was most likely bad, I took it to a “Trusted” Mechanic in Sacramento because I’m out of town and cant take it to my mechanic back home. They just called and told me my Rod bearing failed which really threw me off being that, that means I have to either get a new car, rebuild my engine etc. I’m not sure if I trust what he says because all the symptoms I’m having don't add up to it being a bad rod bearing. Maybe he’s right and Stella is toast but do you guys have any recommendations for a second opinion here in Sacramento California or any idea if this could be true? Thank you!
Likely not. Ask them to send you photos of the cam lobes.

Tasha_BRM

TDI
2005 Jetta
I think it would be reasonable for them to send pictures of the damage and good profiles on the cam lobes. That's just me though.
After a lengthy interrogation with the service rider he said all they did was take a stethoscope to my cylinders and heard a misfire/knock on cylinder 4. My husband googled where cylinder 4 is located in my housing and it sits next to my clutch. I still have the dual mass fly wheel which chatters like a mother when in neutral. So from my understanding whoever worked on my car doesn’t understand what their working on and tried to diagnose an OEM flywheel noise not the actual noise it is making. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption? Haha. I could be wrong but I drove her back to where we are staying and she runs the same I just have a thumping noise from the intake and a heavily sooted air filter.

Tasha_BRM

TDI
2005 Jetta
Rod bearings don't thump in the intake. The intake bupping noise is so common on these, the next step is always to remove the valve cover and verify that the cam lobes and/or lifters are worn.
I would pull the cover myself if I had the place to do so, we are just out of town.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you have a noisy DMF in addition to the possible bad camshaft, and if your shop is not experienced with these PD engines, I could see how they might misdiagnose.

Get the car to a shop that knows these cars.

Failing that, get the valve cover off and inspect the cam lobes.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Buy tools at parts store. Remove valve cover, inspect and take pics. Reseal valve cover. Way faster and cheaper than waiting and paying for another shop to look at it.