Fix or sell

Usedsharan

TDI
We recently purchased a sharan with at 233k miles on it (which we weren't made aware of).Apparently the timing belt and water pump has been changed but It has several things needing replaced but we've been told are minor, brake pads, tyres, possible thermostat (the heater isn't working) 2 x suspension bushes and there's an oil leak but we're not yet sure the extent of this. We also discovered this car was an ex taxi. We know very little about repairing cars ourselves and are trying to decide, is it worth repairing this car or do we sell at a loss and purchase another with less miles/ wear and tear? We're just concerned about doing the repairs and something else major going soon after ....

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
We recently purchased a sharan with at 233k miles on it (which we weren't made aware of).Apparently the timing belt and water pump has been changed but It has several things needing replaced but we've been told are minor, brake pads, tyres, possible thermostat (the heater isn't working) 2 x suspension bushes and there's an oil leak but we're not yet sure the extent of this. We also discovered this car was an ex taxi. We know very little about repairing cars ourselves and are trying to decide, is it worth repairing this car or do we sell at a loss and purchase another with less miles/ wear and tear? We're just concerned about doing the repairs and something else major going soon after ....
1st: welcome to the forums
Sorry to be the berrer of bad news.
Seeing as it was an ex taxi and that you were some how deceived about the milage... you should seriously consider getting your money back though a buyers remorse law or as a deception unless you got it from a owner and not a lot.
If you cant.. sell it as is.. even if you take a loss.
Unless you got the car for its value in scrap or very very cheap... walk away. Even if you get everything done to it via a mechanic you are looking at about 4 to 5 grand in the end.
You do not ever want to buy a rental or taxi car or truck. They are so far beaten to death and neglected it's not funny. Also the repairs are done very cheaply and poorly if any. It's very common that these cars have extensive hidden damage that was very poorly fixed.
Run dont walk.

If you do decide to take it on as a project check out our trusted tdi mechanics page on tdi 101

Also use quality parts from our vendors

You want to assume 100% of everything you know about this car is a lie and assume no maintenance was done and what was done is done wrong.

All fluids, filters, belts, suspension, breaking, tires, and belts and hoses must be addressed and serviced and consider the car as needing 100% of everything done to it. If it's still in your projected budget, fine. If not... it's a money pit you should run from

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I dont always agree with what mongler posts on this site , but given your admitted unfamiliarity with mechanical repairs , I think he is 100% on the money here............ get rid of this apparent lemon!!!!!!!!!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
also taxi's rack up MUCH MORE than 200k area. we're talking 400K maybe 500K before they generally get retired. imagine spending 12 hours driving around all day every day for 7 days a week for whatever year yours was made. im assuming its not a 95 when they were started being made.
most taxis rack up about 80k to 90K miles a year. so im betting the one you have is a 2020 model? maybe its a 2018? either way its a TON of abuse.

i highly suspect that if its older than a 2018, the odometer has been tampered with or replaced cluster. i would not be surprised!

Usedsharan

TDI
It's a 2013 model. We've been talking to a guy who (knowing everything about it) is still potentially interested in purchasing it, no doubt for a lot less than we paid but even if we got half back I think we would make do. We have a solicitor sending the seller a letter today but all the while we've no car. Should we attempt to sell or hold onto it and pursue court? The seller did have 10 other cars for sale and is allegedly part owner of a garage but if he has funds to pay, I'm not sure.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
It seems better to let it go along with its possible headaches.