My TDI got hit last weekend, and I need help

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW
My 2005 TDI was parked at work and my coworker hit the passenger door, fender, front passenger wheel, bumper and shifted the hood over while I was inside working on Saturday. I'm contacting his insurance today. I'm only 17 and I have no idea how to do any of this. how can I prevent his insurance company from totaling it out? I have receipts of everything I've done to the car with a total of $9,974.17 put into it. his insurance is going to see this as a "cheap early 2000s eco-car with 250K miles on it" and they're probably going to only value it at like $400 and call it a day. I don't want to lose my beloved TDI due to an idiot who can't pull out of a parking spot correctly. I have put every dime I have into this car because I love it so much. It was really all I had and I'm so sad to see it all crumpled up in my garage. all help is appreciated. ill keep this thread posted about what happens.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I hate to say it but they're not wrong. Insurance tried to total my car out if a recent accident I was in exceeded $2080 in repairs. Ended up having to supply all my own body panels and lights, so all they did was body work and paint.
You may need to do the same, or drive it around with damaged body panels. Don't forget, buying it back is always an option, but you'll have a branded title. If you plan to keep it a while, who cares about the brand?

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to say it but they're not wrong. Insurance tried to total my car out if a recent accident I was in exceeded $2080 in repairs. Ended up having to supply all my own body panels and lights, so all they did was body work and paint.
You may need to do the same, or drive it around with damaged body panels. Don't forget, buying it back is always an option, but you'll have a branded title. If you plan to keep it a while, who cares about the brand?
Is it possible to just like get a check from his company? I want to fix it myself, with parts that I source myself. I want to use new or used OEM parts, not the crappy Chinese replacements that a shop might use. I also don't like other people working on my car... is it just me?... anyway, I'm out of a car until i fix it, and it is costing ME money because now I have to drive my 8mpg Jeep Wrangler weekend warrior. How can I ask for the correct amount of money from them WITHOUT them trying to total my car (and I buy it back.) I cannot get a salvage title because here in Arizona you need a stage 3 inspection to get the title switched to rebuilt. I cant do that. my car is tuned and fully deleted with suspension modifications lol

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
side note, the car is a one (now two) owner car with no accident reports. the first owner provided dealership service records for it, and it was probably the cleanest mk4 bew example on the road. would it be sensible to take the ~$400 or whatever dollar amount, and put that towards a clapped-out ALH? I'm sure they arent as sensitive as a BEW and can handle the neglect of an owner selling one for cheap..... just a thought...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, then you run into the struggle of buying another car with unknown history or abuse, so you have to account for any repairs it may need. Suspension, brakes, clutch, turbo, ect adds up fast.

If it were me, I'd personally look for another car, find a good one (which may take a while) then slowly fix/mod it up. But in the meantime, if your bew is drivable, drive it as is.

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
man this is so sad :( i’ll let you know what happens soon, as i just got off the phone with his insurance agent and submitted the claim it sounds cut and dry. hopefully we can make the most of it

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You do not have to take their first offer. Look for what other examples of 05 MkIV TDIs are selling for, and demand to get similar.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
It might be different in Arizona, but in Canada in your situation you do not deal directly with the other drivers insurance company . Your own agent should be willing to fight on your behalf. When my daughter got rear ended last year , her insurance agent was able to negotiiate a n offer from the other diriver that was only slightly less than I was hoping for

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Is it all body panel, sheet metal, etc. damage? Or, do you think there's frame damage? All the parts you listed could probably be swapped from a donor car (unless there's rear wheel well damage which would require cutting out a section of the body panel.)

I understand the attachment, so if you get a buyout offer, I'd haggle with them for a 2nd offer at the very least, and then compare that cash amount with how much it might cost for you to procure donor car parts, swap them and maybe paint them (unless you can find a like-color donor car.) If you can't find anything local, some online places like One Love Auto sell doors, hoods and body panels: https://www.oneloveautogroup.com

If there's frame damage or something requiring cutting/welding/etc., then that might be a different story.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
And yeah, who cares if it becomes a salvaged title if you plan on keeping it long term.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Body panels do get spendy, just doing a bumper, one tail light, and gate/quarter repair almost totalled mine out. Sounds like you need a pair of doors, fender, and hood. That's a lot more parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would suggest you either (a) get the largest settlement you can in the form of a check without totaling out the car and fix/have it fixed yourself, or (b) don't file a claim and fix the car on your own. If you don't file a claim you may be able to hit up your co-worker for some $$ because he'll save money on premiums in the future. At this point in my MKIVs lives if I had an accident where the car was repairable I probably wouldn't file a claim. I don't carry any collision or theft coverage on my old cars for this reason.

Either way, I'm guessing totaling out the car would be less than $2K. Sorry for the hassle and the upset. I'm like you, very attached to my MKIV. I'd hate to see that happen to it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
My 2005 TDI was parked at work and my coworker hit the passenger door, fender, front passenger wheel, bumper and shifted the hood over while I was inside working on Saturday. I'm contacting his insurance today. I'm only 17 and I have no idea how to do any of this. how can I prevent his insurance company from totaling it out? I have receipts of everything I've done to the car with a total of $9,974.17 put into it. his insurance is going to see this as a "cheap early 2000s eco-car with 250K miles on it" and they're probably going to only value it at like $400 and call it a day. I don't want to lose my beloved TDI due to an idiot who can't pull out of a parking spot correctly. I have put every dime I have into this car because I love it so much. It was really all I had and I'm so sad to see it all crumpled up in my garage. all help is appreciated. ill keep this thread posted about what happens.
They're going to total it out. Question for you - do you have an aftermarket parts endorsement on YOUR policy? The other insurance company will ALWAYS try to screw you. Ask me know I know. The woman who pulled in front of me last year - her $hitty insurance company only wanted to pay $3900 for my 2003 Golf. I had an aftermarket parts endorsement on my policy with MY insurance company. I was paid a little over $10K, after accouting for salvage value (because I'm damn sure keeping any totalled out TDI) and $500 for deductible. It went to arbitration, because the other company didn't want to reimburse my insurance for the value. And guess who lost at arbitration? Yup, I got reimbursed my full $500 deductible.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I also put in around $8-10K into my car. They're also not going to value it at $400, but from experience, BEWs will ALWAYS value less than an ALH. I have experience in this, sadly (hit a dead whitetail buck in my 2004 Golf less than 6 months prior to wrecking the 2003 Golf, and the base car value was a lot lower).

I have a similar post, which you should be able to find by searching under my username.

Seriously though people - if y'all value your TDIs like me (and the OP), get aftermarket parts endorsement on you OWN policy. For me, it's worth the $20-30/mo extra I pay. When I hydroplaned my car (which sadly, I'm at fault for), I got around $12.5K for my Golf, and that's AFTER deductible and salvage. That helped me buy my 2000 Golf, so now I have two somewhat identical cars (which is great, because I removed rental reimbursement).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Either way, I'm guessing totaling out the car would be less than $2K. Sorry for the hassle and the upset. I'm like you, very attached to my MKIV. I'd hate to see that happen to it.
With the other insurance company, yes. With yours, it will be higher. To the OP - PM me if you'd like. I don't know how state law is in Arizona. You're also entitled to invoking the appraisal clause, but only on your own insurance. And for curiosity's sake - who is your insurance provider?

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You do not have to take their first offer. Look for what other examples of 05 MkIV TDIs are selling for, and demand to get similar.
Dont worry, im gonna hassle them until i get what i need to repair the car on my own. It costs the Insurance company loads of $$$ the longer i keep the claim open, so eventually theyre gonna cave in.im not in a rush, im just gonna wait till i can get what i need to repair it

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It might be different in Arizona, but in Canada in your situation you do not deal directly with the other drivers insurance company . Your own agent should be willing to fight on your behalf. When my daughter got rear ended last year , her insurance agent was able to negotiiate a n offer from the other diriver that was only slightly less than I was hoping for
Yes. I can bring my insurance into it and have our agent help me get what i need, only if i have trouble doing it on my own. i contacted him (non formally, hes my moms friend) and i asked him for advice and he just told me the process and said i can bring him into the mix the SECOND that things start to go south for me. ill keep the thread updated :)

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it all body panel, sheet metal, etc. damage? Or, do you think there's frame damage? All the parts you listed could probably be swapped from a donor car (unless there's rear wheel well damage which would require cutting out a section of the body panel.)

I understand the attachment, so if you get a buyout offer, I'd haggle with them for a 2nd offer at the very least, and then compare that cash amount with how much it might cost for you to procure donor car parts, swap them and maybe paint them (unless you can find a like-color donor car.) If you can't find anything local, some online places like One Love Auto sell doors, hoods and body panels: https://www.oneloveautogroup.com

If there's frame damage or something requiring cutting/welding/etc., then that might be a different story.
The damage does not look like a lot. I was backed into the spot and he was parked forward on the passenger side of my jetta. as he was packing out, he cut the wheel to the left way too early, and his front bumper hit my door, then he punched the gas and dragged his bumper across my front passenger fender, gouged the wheel, and ripped my front bumper off. The frame is most definitely straight, and i have the tools and knowledge to fix it, (trust me i own a jeep that thing is always broken) and i need to find a way to tell insurance that i want to repair it myself. i believe i said it elsewhere but i dont want a shop touching my car lol, i want to do the repairs by myself, properly, with Used or New OEM parts. i just want his insurance to give me the money i need for those parts, thats all.

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
And yeah, who cares if it becomes a salvaged title if you plan on keeping it long term.
The problem i have with that is getting it registered as a "rebuilt" title. the state of AZ has to do a "Stage 3 inspection"..... on my car with modified suspension, a tuned ECU, and zero emissions equipment... thats where things get a little hard for me to justify. i dont have my stock parts anymore. still have the cat, but everything else i disposed of properly.

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I would suggest you either (a) get the largest settlement you can in the form of a check without totaling out the car and fix/have it fixed yourself, or (b) don't file a claim and fix the car on your own. If you don't file a claim you may be able to hit up your co-worker for some $$ because he'll save money on premiums in the future. At this point in my MKIVs lives if I had an accident where the car was repairable I probably wouldn't file a claim. I don't carry any collision or theft coverage on my old cars for this reason.

I talked to my cowerker, and he wanted me to go through insurance... he doesnt have money like that, hes 17 aswell. im going to haggle my way with insurance and get what i need to replace the damaged parts myself in my garage. thanks for the advice man

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
They're going to total it out. Question for you - do you have an aftermarket parts endorsement on YOUR policy? The other insurance company will ALWAYS try to screw you. Ask me know I know.
I do not. since it was just intended to be just an old daily, i really had no thought about it. If things go south, im definitely going to insure my next one with Aftermarket Parts Endorsement. thanks for the tip man

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
With the other insurance company, yes. With yours, it will be higher. To the OP - PM me if you'd like. I don't know how state law is in Arizona. You're also entitled to invoking the appraisal clause, but only on your own insurance. And for curiosity's sake - who is your insurance provider?
Liberty Mutual

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, The first word back from the insurance company says that it's a total loss, but they're offering me $5000. $5000 will not buy me a new car especially in this economy. I know that performance parts dont carry the value of a car, but I just know my car is worth more than that. it was rust-free and so clean. I'm going to let them know the demand for this and economy cars in general, and ill tell them how much I have into the car. this sucks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take the $5000, buy it back and fix it yourself, that's not bad for a 17 year old car.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
But why would you just accept $5000 if you could get more? He’s got the right idea here.
I say never accept their first offer, just like when selling a car (or anything for that matter), the other party will almost always lowball you.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Did they offer you a buy-it-back price? Don't know that necessarily results in a salvage title. Be vigilant, document, use your agent for good advice.
Don't know of course, but I can't imagine it has damage to the frame/suspension. Body panels and stuff can be had at salvage or car-part.com.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Find comps of same car in your area and make sure your comping a diesel and not a gas version of the same car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Find comps of same car in your area and make sure your comping a diesel and not a gas version of the same car.
That is your best ammo for negotiating price. Good luck finding any, when my 99.5 J was totaled I came up with zilch. But the way the used car market is now, if you can find any, they'll likely be good (high). Remember you need sold prices, not for sale prices.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
Well, The first word back from the insurance company says that it's a total loss, but they're offering me $5000. $5000 will not buy me a new car
I have receipts of everything I've done to the car with a total of $9,974.17 put into it. his insurance is going to see this as a "cheap early 2000s eco-car with 250K miles on it" and they're probably going to only value it at like $400 and call it a day.
It's a total loss.

Unfortunately, 10k is not going to be reimbursed. They compensate you for a comparable replacement. Also, consider the buyback, as you said, it looks horrible, but the damage is 'cosmetic', and the frame is 'straight'.

$5000 is a fair offer for a 250k 20yo car, but you DONT have to take it.
But if they offer you a buyback of $300, you keep car and get 4700 for repair costs.

Buy a non-running Mk4 Jetta Gas engine off facebook for $800-1000 with leather, sunroof etc....
Swap your high dollar parts, as swapping engines does not affect a Class 3 rebuilt title in AZ(whatever that noise is.....in NC, if it runs, and the lights work, and has horn, you get a tag)

Let me give you another example.
My 2000 Jetta TDI was a 102,000 mile, One prior owner, never wrecked GLS with monsoon, sunroof, Had chrome trim added, aluminum interior addons, rear hitch, panzer plate, RocketChip Tune, wood panel trim added inside. had ALL service records from Owner 1.
I got hit head-on by a Suburban XL with unlicensed driver (no insurance) at highway speed.

The 1st comp was a 2000 Beetle GL TDI Automatic(auto-tragic), 240k, no key, and it didn't run, 1000 miles away.(beetle is SUBcompact, Jetta is Compact)

I was offered 1200 for mine, which when totaled only had 114,000, brand new tires sitting at the shop arrived day before crash.

My buyback was $275. They still haven't offered ANYWHERE NEAR $5000, (3yrs to date)and I was hit so hard by such a large vehicle in the front,
the car wrinkled over the rear wheels/doors strut towers.

Has your car EVER been wrecked(Carfax, etc) is it rusty, needed anything?

I'd say make them a reasonable counteroffer, include buyback, + taxes and title fees, inspection, and move forward in life..

I'm sorry it happened to you, being 17 is tough dealing with billion dollar profiting insurers.

But 'its all i had' is not even close. You also have a wrangler Jeep. ☹
When i was 17, I bummed rides, cause the car i bought at 16 broke and i couldn't afford another until i was almost 19.

I'm not picking on you, and I DO support your position.

Makes me afraid to drive my 1995 Firebird Formula M6, Ttops, leather, One owner(ME) with 65,000 miles currently.(it's 1 of 1)

Im lucky to be alive, and blessed !! Russian artillery isn't flattening my hometown.🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦
Everything else is called life, and your adult one still fully lies ahead of you.

I'm sure you are frustrated, and sad, and angry, and can't see the resolution working in your favor.

I see mk4 Jetta's with BBS rims, leather, sunroof not running for one reason or another often on FB for $1000 +/- 1000.(2000)

Either rob it for parts needed, or swap your powertrain into gasser.(wont need rebuilt title inspection)

Because if you can reverse time, that might be the only way to get it your way like BKing, and let me know....
I would like to get out of the way of above prior nightmare incident.

I've waited 3 years to date for fair offer, aint got offered $5k yet.
Ive seen comparables with 250k, no accident history, no sunroof, GL models for $7k and HIGHER asking price, and Ive seen them sell in a day or two on dealer lots for 5500 with almost 295k.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost them anything to NOT pay you. In fact if you die, they save $5000.
ya feel that?

Again, I'm sorry you had this happen and I'm 100% supporting your position. But at some point, you will feel better, and you MUST consider all positive outcomes.
1. You were not injured.
2. you know who is at fault.
3. insurance indicates they will compensate you.
4. Plenty of mk4's with less than 250k miles, nice interiors are out there, and you seem to be able to swap parts, maybe even powertrains.
5. Challenge, ACCEPTED.

I like you, just cause you like cars..... even more....DIESELS!!!(grunt, grunt, yah!)

I know alot of young adults, your peerage, that actually HATE all cars for killing the planet, like the battery powered hybrids are THE energy negative, Toxic battery 5 year life ones........ are better?(see also, lithium mines)

Consider me Grouchy Neighbor, and everyone on this board is your asset and we support you.

Welcome to TDI club!

TL;dr
wait, WHAT?!

Make it $5000 after buyback?
there is risk owning and driving US roads, and you accepted the risk.
sorry this happened. life isn't fair, or perfect.
Everyone here mostly loves TDI's. Im sorry this happened.
It's a total loss. Find your peace, move forward.

junkyard:
hood$50-100, door$25-75, bumper cover$40-100, wheel$25-50, fender$25-100, paint($250-600?)
total $450-1200+ labor(you=free, shop $200 hr)

If they find out you deleted Cat convertors, thus defeating emissions, they WILL DEDUCT a LARGE portion of your 1st offer, be aware!

Last edited: