DPF needs replacing at 36k miles

X001100

TDI
2016 Touareg
I am the second owner of this 2016. Two weeks after the purchase, the check engine light came on. Scanned for codes and P226D00/Particulate Filter Missing/Deteriorated. Took the vehicle in and the dealership replaced a sensor under warranty. 70 miles later check engine light came on, same fault code. Now VTA tells the dealership to replace DPF and seal. I've owned many diesel vehicles with DPF and never had them replaced as long as I owned them.

Is the DPF going to need replacing every 40k or so? Has anyone else had theirs replaced so early or ever?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I am the second owner of this 2016. Two weeks after the purchase, the check engine light came on. Scanned for codes and P226D00/Particulate Filter Missing/Deteriorated. Took the vehicle in and the dealership replaced a sensor under warranty. 70 miles later check engine light came on, same fault code. Now VTA tells the dealership to replace DPF and seal. I've owned many diesel vehicles with DPF and never had them replaced as long as I owned them.

Is the DPF going to need replacing every 40k or so? Has anyone else had theirs replaced so early or ever?
Short tripping kills them.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Describe your usage pattern.
Did you have any other CELs or failed components that you might've ignored?
Your failure frequency is not normal, but also not unheard of.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Did the dealer replace your DPF under the emissions extended warranty? I have a personal interest with my 2016 TDI TREG.

X001100

TDI
2016 Touareg
Looking at the Carfax vehicle stayed local to me in Los Angeles and most likely the previous owner did leave their local bubble often to cycle regen enough which in turn clogged the filter. I agree short trips kill this filter. My driving habits are long hauls so my hope is this doesn't happen to me as often. I am 3 weeks into ownership of this Touareg and so far everything has been covered under the emissions warranty.

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You still have 4 years (and plenty of miles) of AEM warranty so I wouldn't sweat it much. It's unusual that you've lost a DPF this fast, but I'd say you give it a chance and see how much you have to take in it over the next couple of years.... if it turns out to need constant attention, unload it before the end of the warranty since it's unlikely that you'll have a delete option out there....

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
When VW did the fix it screwed the emissions system Long term stability/ What doesn't go out the tailpipe stays in the DPF holder, now more stays in than goes out soot levels now picked up so it clogs. I know that if you drive 50 miles a day at 75 miles per day you probably won't have an issue for a while. Very few people knew this type of driving was necessary to keep the car running. VW knew this and never told anyone. In a similar way EV makers are giving mileage range that isn't realistic unless you drive at 40 MPH in moderate climate conditions..
You live and learn.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know where people come up with these "claims".
I rarely ever even hit 75mph up here. I commute in a cold climate, in traffic jams, through the city, etc. Sure, I do some longer rips here and there going camping or whatever, but the majority of use is pretty normal and mundane. 19 miles each way.

I'm willing to bet that my operating climate is much more unsuitable for the DPF when compared to you guys in California or Florida.
If you have a basic understanding of how the system works, and what conditions need to be met, you can take reasonable measures as an owner to greatly minimize your trips to the dealer for warranty repairs.

deepseafortydog

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI

I just took my 2011 Touareg in to the dealer for the same issue. However, mine has 247k miles on it so it was probably time for the swap. We did have the emissions work done and received that nice check in the mail - but I don't know if they swapped out the DPF.

They quoted me $2,450 for complete replacement at the dealer - service mgr. claimed the DPF itself is on back order with no availability until April.

This is my wife's car and she drives between 70-80mph for around 1 hour trip durations of 50-75 miles, usually spending the last :10 minutes in traffic - twice a day. Temperature during the drive might get below freezing maybe 5-10 days out of the year.

This is the first DPF I have heard of needing replacement - besides Mr X here of course.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is the first DPF I have heard of needing replacement - besides Mr X here of course.
LOL.... all the DPF talk must be fake news I guess.
247k is way more than expected for DPF life. It's possible that you still have the original DPF since her usage pattern is very suitable for a long life. I'd actually be surprised if it was the original one. How long ago did you get the fix done? (time and miles)

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
LOL.... all the DPF talk must be fake news I guess.
247k is way more than expected for DPF life. It's possible that you still have the original DPF since her usage pattern is very suitable for a long life. I'd actually be surprised if it was the original one. How long ago did you get the fix done? (time and miles)
Gee Whiz……DPF’s on the 3.0l can last a long, long, long, long, time without the fix.
I don’t need to delve into the 2.0l saga….But you really think you know it all. Pride!

*Answer for all to see here what the expected life for a 3.0l DPF is going to be?*

T6 5w-40 since DAY 1 is treating the Cayenne just fine. Shows you all a thing or two.

Let me know when you want to throw down for you HPFP. I’m waiting and so are many others…they’re just not publicly posting.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gee Whiz……DPF’s on the 3.0l can last a long, long, long, long, time without the fix.
I don’t need to delve into the 2.0l saga….But you really think you know it all. Pride!

*Answer for all to see here what the expected life for a 3.0l DPF is going to be?*

T6 5w-40 since DAY 1 is treating the Cayenne just fine. Shows you all a thing or two.

Let me know when you want to throw down for you HPFP. I’m waiting and so are many others…they’re just not publicly posting.
Clearly you have some comprehension struggles, so let's just say that "you got me".
Next time you want to come at me, try to reply with something relevant to the topic at hand.

I just took my 2011 Touareg in to the dealer for the same issue. However, mine has 247k miles on it so it was probably time for the swap. We did have the emissions work done and received that nice check in the mail - but I don't know if they swapped out the DPF.

They quoted me $2,450 for complete replacement at the dealer - service mgr. claimed the DPF itself is on back order with no availability until April.

This is my wife's car and she drives between 70-80mph for around 1 hour trip durations of 50-75 miles, usually spending the last :10 minutes in traffic - twice a day. Temperature during the drive might get below freezing maybe 5-10 days out of the year.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I’m waiting and so are many others…they’re just not publicly posting.
Here's info for you & your posy (who appear to be in the shadows): :sneaky:
I won't bore you with the math because you already know all about density, materials, volume conversions, and where to find actual values in VCDS.
Also, you do realize that each and every vehicle and their respective scenario is different due to condition of vehicle, maintenance, typical use, length of operation since being fixed, etc.

So... here's the magical, generic answer:

DPF load limit = 327g
Theoretical Oil ash max volume = 0.535L
Average accumulation rate = ~0.16L/100k kms
Typical expected DPF lifespan based on the above = ~330k kms

As you and other may have noticed, I only used quantitative values, not vague or obscure ones such as
DPF’s on the 3.0l can last a long, long, long, long, time
Also, you may want to educate yourself a little on plurals as there's no apostrophe used when listing a multiple of something.....

So, if you manage to get trough all that, let me know what part of my initial statement of the user's 247k miles on a suspected original DPF does not fall inline with what I've listed. Or are you just saying that it isn't full because it hasn't reached your "LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, TIME" value yet? :unsure:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I realize that this is just the interwebs, but why must you all be so contentious?
I apologize, but I've been "under attack" lately by some people (you know who you are) who have issues with me and seem to be going out of their way to basically troll me while I'm still attempting to post relevant help\info on topics at hand. I don't have any issues being called out or being wrong, as long as whomever is correcting me has the intellect to educate me (or anyone else reading) at the same time.

And before anyone else says it, I realize that I do bring some of this onto myself due to my tact...... oh well.... I'm over it.

Aren't we all here to learn and help the community sort things out?

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Here's info for you & your posy (who appear to be in the shadows): :sneaky:
I won't bore you with the math because you already know all about density, materials, volume conversions, and where to find actual values in VCDS.
Also, you do realize that each and every vehicle and their respective scenario is different due to condition of vehicle, maintenance, typical use, length of operation since being fixed, etc.

So... here's the magical, generic answer:

DPF load limit = 327g
Theoretical Oil ash max volume = 0.535L
Average accumulation rate = ~0.16L/100k kms
Typical expected DPF lifespan based on the above = ~330k kms

As you and other may have noticed, I only used quantitative values, not vague or obscure ones such as

Also, you may want to educate yourself a little on plurals as there's no apostrophe used when listing a multiple of something.....

So, if you manage to get trough all that, let me know what part of my initial statement of the user's 247k miles on a suspected original DPF does not fall inline with what I've listed. Or are you just saying that it isn't full because it hasn't reached your "LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, TIME" value yet? :unsure:
I know the capacity as well as most “educated individuals.”

I asked for mileage since you’re the “grandiose” TDI expert here. Yet, you won’t have an answer since each and every DPF and associated motor are completely different. You have a theoretical load based upon “consumption” and oil type. Yet ash includes metallic elements as well.

It’s easier to say that it’s very dependent on state of motor more so than driving habits.

Get off your tall tdi and come back down to earth. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Clearly you have some comprehension struggles, so let's just say that "you got me".
Next time you want to come at me, try to reply with something relevant to the topic at hand.
Certainly relevant. You made a statement about DPF longevity and even asked another question regarding such. Unless Canadians have unique “verbose,” a question or statement is exactly that!

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
I apologize, but I've been "under attack" lately by some people (you know who you are) who have issues with me and seem to be going out of their way to basically troll me while I'm still attempting to post relevant help\info on topics at hand. I don't have any issues being called out or being wrong, as long as whomever is correcting me has the intellect to educate me (or anyone else reading) at the same time.

And before anyone else says it, I realize that I do bring some of this onto myself due to my tact...... oh well.... I'm over it.

Aren't we all here to learn and help the community sort things out?
It’s not tact. It’s the way you’re so matter of fact. Regarding the quoted post of the other gent at hand, you made a glorified statement regarding surprise at a DPF lasting. As noted, the emission fix (DPF and associated elements replaced) was completed at an UNKNOWN mileage (hence why were talking right now).

I’ll wait patiently for him/her to respond as to that figure.

In the meantime, how’s your HPFP treating you?

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
I see a pattern. They all live in depressingly rainy, cloudy places. Need some sunlight and vitamin D. You all should vacation somewhere sunny.
Dusselheim is where it’s at.

I gave sometime for others to ask (few stray over to this forum, so I cannot fault), did you (Turbo) base the figures off of 92,000mi? Super simple yes/no.

Christofer67

TDI
Vollswagen
Yeah, short trips get dpf filters clogged up a lot faster, the dpf regen does not get enough time to kick in and do its thing, so completely normal if you drive a few miles every day. You have to take it on a highway every once in a while.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Yeah, short trips get dpf filters clogged up a lot faster, the dpf regen does not get enough time to kick in and do its thing, so completely normal if you drive a few miles every day. You have to take it on a highway every once in a while.
Again, that’s vehicle (as in make and model) dependent.

deepseafortydog

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI
wow... looks like I missed the show. Angela and Justin get along, why can't we?

The warranty work was done in 2017. The car had ~160k miles on it. I'm planning to post the whole saga on a different thread.

As of now, she won't even start. Trying to figure it all out right now.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I've been away for a little bit.
I had a reason to say VWs "fix" has caused the trouble. I have owned 2 TREGS 1st one was a 2012 with 60k miles on it and traded back to VW for a new 2016 TDI with 1500 miles when picked up . # 1 TDI never had an issue with the DPF warning, #2 got a warning at 18K miles. Both were driven exactly the same, some long some short trips. I wonder why?, maybe it was the" fix" that changed the emissions system. I'll leave it at that.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been away for a little bit.
I had a reason to say VWs "fix" has caused the trouble. I have owned 2 TREGS 1st one was a 2012 with 60k miles on it and traded back to VW for a new 2016 TDI with 1500 miles when picked up . # 1 TDI never had an issue with the DPF warning, #2 got a warning at 18K miles. Both were driven exactly the same, some long some short trips. I wonder why?, maybe it was the" fix" that changed the emissions system. I'll leave it at that.
So you've just confirmed what everyone was already told in the documentation that they were given! :rolleyes:

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The EGR is at fault for the higher soot in the filter, causing more regens. I deleted the EGR (Unplug with a delete tune) but retain the DPF and the SCR. The car got a 5MPG increase, oil temps are down 2-6 degrees, and PM is down by 60%, distance between regen increased by 185Miles.

The down side, which I am fine with is DEF usage has increased because of the EGR not functioning, to combat the higher NOx output.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
C'mon now... explain your 60% reduction in PM.... how did you dream this up?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Referencing something that I consider "made up" as a "dream" is not condescending.... it's a perspective just like you feel I'm doing something other than asking for an explanation on something that I can't understand. (also a perspective)