‘06 MT - What is the function of Locking the Transmission in “Home” Mode as it pertains to removing pivot pin for oil change?

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Hello,
‘06 MT - What is the function of Locking the Transmission in “Home” Mode as it pertains to removing the Pivot Pin Torx for oil change? As some here know, the black “Allen” lever that locks the transmission in “Home” or Service mode is sometimes broken. My question is if someone who cannot engage “Home” mode because the black lever is broken or missing, does that mean the Pivot Pin Torx bolt cannot be removed to service the transmission oil change.

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/a5/manual-gear-Oil-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI.htm

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I can't answer your question as to the function, but you won't smoke your transmission if you change the oil without removing the pivot pin torx bolt.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Of course. Given how many say to remove that bolt pin since oil (oddly mentioned that sometimes it is different color), I figured a complete drain would be in order. I suppose through lifting the front end and such an angle will allow a complete drain given lots of time via the main drain bolt.

Not having a workshop manual with exploded parts diagram leads me to ask. I’m sure someone knows definitively. But I also know from servicing my own G50 and G96 gearboxes that certain bolts are only to be removed for disassembly. Otherwise, $1500 plus shipping just unscrewed out of your hands.

As an FYI, my black Allen wrench is there. However, upon pressing the shifter down whilst turning the wrench clockwise, I can only get the black wrench up to a 50 degree angle and no locking of the pivot assembly occurs.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
After trying a few times whilst having removed the battery tray, I was able to lock it. Really have to finagle……
I overfilled about a pint via TSB reverse switch. Pennzoil MTL

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Also, don’t take the easy way out (that ends up taking even longer) by lifting the car up IF you can lock the pivot shaft. I did twice. Even ran the box multiple times on stands tilted at 18 degrees. Yeah, running it on stands does slosh the oil backs, but I could only get 20oz in that way after 4 “runs.”
Post if you need tips. Otherwise, best of luck and thanks to those who answered here and my pm’s.