Fuel Lift Pump Options

TLOHM

TDI
BHW Engine Swap
I'm looking for a consensus, or at least some discussion, on the best lift pump set-up on a TDI engine swap. I'm putting a BHW into a small 2WD pickup truck. The aftermarket fuel tank has a top opening of just 2-1/4" diameter, with a 6-bolt flange for six bolts on a 2-3/4" bolt pattern. Fuel suction is only from the top. I'm planning to utilize the existing engine fuel filter.

My understanding is that the fuel feed system should run 5-9 psi with around 180 LPH (48 GPH). My intent was t utilize the VW's oil cooler piping for both the feed and return lines. I'd love to use an in-tank pump to cut back on noise, but with the small access opening, options may be somewhat limited.

I did fiind a couple of Walbro pumps that can be incorporated into this tank. Model 5CA401 puts out 30 GPH at 7 psi, with a max pressure rating of 30 psi and free-flow rating of 32 GPH. The GSS0242 puts out 53 GPH at 7 psi with a max pressure of 100 psi and free-flow of 56 GPH.

I noted that several folks are using a Facet solid state pump, like the 40107 which has a max-to-min pressure of 10 to 7 psi and flow of 34 GPH. With this set up do you utilize a return line and use a regulator on the line back to the tank? I do hear people complaining about the clicking noise with these and wonder what kind of life you're getting with them.

And then there are the rotary pump options, like the Carter P4594 rated at 5-9 psi with a max flow rate of 72 GPH. With these, I expect you have to put a bypass around the pump in case it quits on you while out on the road.

So all you with those TDI Conversions: How did you set up you fuel supply? Are you happy with what you've got? What might you do different now that you've driven it for a while?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've not put mine on the road but it is running.

I just used the factory 87 4runner 22re in tank fuel pump. I put a Tee before the fuel filter under the hood to divert excessive pressure back to the tank as well as the engine return fuel.

I've heard some people have had issues with in tank efi pumps burning up with no regulator. Maybe the like to run around with 5 bucks worth of fuel in the tank? I'm interested to see if anyone else has run their open with a tee.

My set up made for a very easy prime after a year plus of not running and sitting out of a car. I usually kill the battery having to reprime.

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
In my TDI Tacoma I am using the factory Toyota lift pump connected to a Holley carburetor dead head 4.5 to 9psi fuel pressure regulator adjusted to about 14psi. PART# 12-803 I am thinking I can adjust the regulator above 9psi because diesel fuel is thicker then gasoline and it seams to allows for higher pressure adjustment.

I had to use a dead head regulator because the Toyota uses a bucket style fuel pump assembly with an eductor connected off of the pump outlet port. The eductor is used to draw fuel into the bottom of the fuel bucket from the bottom of the fuel tank. This prevents the fuel pump from sucking in air when the fuel tank is low because the fuel bucket will always stay full of fuel.

Without a dead head regulator I would not have enough fuel pressure for the eductor to work properly. I also drilled the eductor port out larger to help the thicker fuel flow through the eductor faster. I think I used a 3/64” drill bit but I don’t remember. I have put 22,000km on this setup with no fuel related issues.

BEW lift pumps produce around 14psi. Here is a great thread dissecting a BEW fuel pump assembly. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/2005-bew-pd-lift-pump-operation-and-internals.225672/

If your fuel pump doesn’t have an eductor I’d probably recommend a Holly Carb bypass regulator. The other option would be to try and fit the TDI fuel pump assembly inside the tank but it doesn’t sound like you have room. If you did want to use just the TDI fuel pump inside your fuel tank you would have to install a fuel regulator down stream because the TDI fuel pump pressure regulator is designed into the fuel pump assembly.

TLOHM

TDI
BHW Engine Swap
In my initial post above, it says I was going to use the "VW's oil cooling piping". I guess we all know I was instead referring to the fuel cooler.

Braddman, Could you expound on the Toyota lift pump? What year truck and original operating fuel?

Hoping to see some more folks enlighten us on their set-ups.

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
I did not bother installing a fuel cooler in either my 2005 Tacoma or in my 2006 Audi A4 both with BHW swaps and around 175hp and 190hp. I don’t remember ever seeing fuel temp go above 75°C (167°F) it may have but never to a point that had me worried. I have VFIZ in my Audi so I can monitor all engine measuring blocks and engine data while driving. I do live in southern Ontario, Canada. If I lived a lot closer the equator I might be more worried about cooling fuel temperature.

My truck is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma it originally had a 4.0L V6 gasoline engine. After doing some research I looks like 2005 was the first year Toyota used a bucket style fuel pump assembly in their trucks. It is more of a modern thing. The old style fuel pump assemblies just used a fuel pump mounted to a bracket with a filter on the bottom of the fuel tank. This has the potential to suck air in the fuel system if you run too low on fuel or while going up hills.

Here is a picture of the same fuel pump assembly I’m using. You can see the eductor mounted at the bottom of the fuel pump assembly below the fuel level sensor. As I stated earlier it take some fuel from the pump outlet and sprays it into a check valve which draws surrounding fuel into the bottom of the fuel bucket like a venturi but for liquid. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/sold-oem-toyota-fuel-pump-assembly-4-0-v6-nj.717833/

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I have been running my ALH using a GM throttle body fuel pump and its factory bypass valve which ought to be about 14 lbs.

Is there a later version of your truck that has an EFI tank?

Is there a flat area on the top of your tank where you could use a bolt down fuel module?

I have never run an external diesel lift pump but the last gasoline one turned a vacation into a repeated vapor lock disaster.