2011 Golf TDI Facing $5k Repair bill, and could use some advice…

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I am now no longer under warranty with 170K miles, and took my car in for an Oil change along with CEL diagnoses. I have kept up on the scheduled maintenance, and the EGR was just replace about 35k miles ago. The dealership is stating that I need to replace the Intake Manifold ($753), Cooling Fans ($1,100), Glow Plugs and Relay ($662) Nox Cat ($1,748), and a Regen service ($150). They are stating they can not get the Regen to complete a cycle, and when I picked up the car the DPF light is now on. It almost seems like whatever they did during the diagnostic, made things worse. Regardless, they said even if I perform all of these repairs… They are not sure it will resolve the problem! I owe less than $2,250 on the car, and have a hard time spending double that or more on repairs, just to see if it may resolve the issue. I have consulted a few mechanics who are more familiar with the diesel’s than I am, and they are recommending that I go with an EGR/DPF ECO Delete from RawTek with a Malone tune (Stage 1/2), new glow plugs and intake manifold. Going this route would cost about half what the dealership is recommending… and does seem to have more benefits. I just wanted to make sure I am on the right path here to resolve my issue’s. I don’t want to keep throwing money at an issue, just to see if it may resolve the problem, and a lot of the guys that I have spoken with stated the EGR/DPF Delete is the best thing I can do for the longevity of the engine. I also think these systems are rather absurd in a lot of ways, just to prevent a little soot from coming out the tailpipe. I wonder if that is why initially VW programmed the ECU’s to only run the EGR/DPF systems less often, because they knew it would cause this system to fail more frequently… not just to skirt emissions. I would love to see the repair and maintenance data post dieselgate and see how they compare to before the scandel. I would rather my engine perform properly for the long haul, and would love to see 300K+ miles like earlier TDI’s without these systems. Things seem to be okay overall, beyond the CEL and DPF light, however I am not driving the car regularly until I can get this resolved. My only other concern is passing the emissions check here in Missouri, but I was under the impression from other posts that this was not a problem after the Malone tune was completed. I would greatly appreciate any advice, and figured this would be the best place to ask. I have an hour plus drive to work everyday, and really need to get this resolved ASAP. I just do not want to be left stranded, and currently won‘t drive the car that far until things are fixed. Thanks again ahead of time, and greatly appreciate the advice!

Cheers!

Nic

Last edited:

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
I just rescued mine using vagcom. Select replacement dpf then perform regen then nox regen. I took 3 hours of driving to clear that light. It had 240k on the exhaust system. Unknown how new the dpf or scr cat. Its worth a try

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
Interesting, and I assume the dealership may have been trying something similar with whatever equipment that they have. I know they also killed my battery in the process. Needless to say, I am loosing faith in their ability to properly fix my vehicle. I greatly appreciate the advice, and I was curious which version you were using? VCDS Hex 2 Enthusiast? I was also looking into the DPF cleaning kits, and may try to do the same on my intake manifold as well, and replace the glow plugs afterward. When I asked my dealership about the DPF cleaning kit option during the pickup, they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to pull it up and show them what I meant, and they were absolutely clueless… had never seen anything like that before. They were saying the Relay and Fans were why the Regen was unable to complete the Cycle, which is why they needed to be replaced. It has been a much colder winter this year, and I am also wondering if this may have contributed, and wonder if I was having icing issue’s… which is why I was leaning towards the EGR/DPF delete as well. Thanks again for the suggestion… it truly is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
Probably would be worth having regardless, especially if it will resolve this issue… and would be a much cheaper option as well. I was just leaning towards ripping it all out, to prevent future maintenance issue’s moving forward, and the extra MPG would be nice as well. My only other concern, especially with the Stage II Malone tune is burning up the Clutch with the additional torque… That and passing the emission checks. Anyhow, Thanks again for the advice, and I think this is a better place to start. Cheers!

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
I tuned my 15 definitely wanted to tear the clutch out of it if i matted without downshifting. Plus 75 is a fun thing to be sure and it still had emmisions intact.

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I am more concerned about reduced maintenance, and longevity than I am performance… but it is always nice to have. I am putting an average of 35-45k miles a year on this car. I guess I could just run it until the clutch finally goes, and upgrade to a better aftermarket clutch. I mostly wanted the tune to pass emissions, remove the CEL, and additional MPG would be nice… the rest is just a bonus. I would also like to speak with Malone about the option of switching between two tunes, and would like to run both regular Diesel fuel and Jet A. Where I work, when a Jet needs certain scheduled maintenance, they will drain the tanks (sometimes 2-3k gallons) and can’t just put the fuel back in the tank once drained… So they will give it to the diesel drivers. I would love to be able to take advantage of this as well moving forward… especially with the way diesel prices are getting lately.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sadly, it seems the only way to make a lot of the headaches go away on these for the long haul is with a delete/tune.

Although, I can tell you with 100% certainly that all the STL area dealers are crooks, and love to throw all kinds of things at the cars. But these cars also love to empty bank accounts without any help.

The intake manifold is common, and the new ones are updated. There is a "fix" that Dieselgeek has, but I have had mixed results with it.

Not sure what your glow plug/controller issue is. These use pressure sensing glow plugs, so they are expensive.

Cooling fans... VERY common, usually die one at a time though. Something I check with every service, I probably replace 20+ of them a year.

NOx catalyst... less common that the DPF, I probably have a half dozen used ones that might still be OK.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Id love to see the fault that is deeming a faulty NOx cat. You could technically just reset the valves for it and the fault will clear after you replace the DPF if you go that route cause alot of the times it comes on due to a plugged or faulty DPF. But if you want to keep the car, at the end of the day, the most benefits/best option, IMO is the delete/tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
He didn't say it (probably being polite) but I will. Get your car away from the dealer and take it to Car Doc in STL where oilhammer works. They'll diagnose the car correctly and fix it so it works.

An emissions delete may be an option, but maybe not the best one. It's not inexpensive, either.

And IMO you need to get beyond evaluating the cost of repairs based on what you owe on the car. Those numbers are totally unrelated. Instead, think about what it would cost you to dump a broken TDI and replace it with something else you'd tolerate driving. I think it'll quickly become evident that fixing it is a good option, especially in today's fuel price environment.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
You are getting raped. Go to @oilhammer and get proper diagnostics\repairs. A competent shop\mechanic should be able to fix things much cheaper and if they cannot for whatever reason, they won't come back with "can't get regen to happen". That alone tells you that they don't know what they are doing.

Last edited:

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
Sadly, it seems the only way to make a lot of the headaches go away on these for the long haul is with a delete/tune.

Although, I can tell you with 100% certainly that all the STL area dealers are crooks, and love to throw all kinds of things at the cars. But these cars also love to empty bank accounts without any help.

The intake manifold is common, and the new ones are updated. There is a "fix" that Dieselgeek has, but I have had mixed results with it.

Not sure what your glow plug/controller issue is. These use pressure sensing glow plugs, so they are expensive.

Cooling fans... VERY common, usually die one at a time though. Something I check with every service, I probably replace 20+ of them a year.

NOx catalyst... less common that the DPF, I probably have a half dozen used ones that might still be OK.
I greatly appreciate your response Oilhammer, and I will be setting up an appointment to bring my car into your shop today. I realized that I grouped the relay with the Glow Plugs which after review was incorrect. If I remember correctly the Relay that has failed was a part of the Fan control, or possibly part of that system. I would like to go with the EGR/DPF delete if that seems to be the best option moving forward, and am open to advice on what would be the best solution there. I would just like to get things resolved in the meantime as well. The RawTek kits aren’t shipping at the end of February like they were supposed to, due to the lack of down-pipes.
So, it doesn’t seem like this will get my back on the road, anytime soon… which is what I am hoping for. I will more than likely get this done sooner than later, and follow that up with a tune. Replace the intake manifold and glow plugs, as well…
I just wanted to makes sure I would be able to pass the emission checks here in Missouri moving forward, as starting this year will be required to do so. From what I have heard most people have not had a problem, but would love to hear your advice. I greatly appreciate your insight and look forward to bringing my car into your shop. Car Doc’s Automative on Administration Dr, correct?

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I just wanted to makes sure I would be able to pass the emission checks here in Missouri moving forward, as starting this year will be required to do so.
What am I missing here.... you want deletes but you know you will need to pass emissions going forward?

oilhammer

TDI
Stay in your lane.... the OBD test that his car has to pass is just a "plug in" type. No MIL request, No DTCs, readiness all set, it passes. Hood never gets opened.

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
Yeah, That is correct, and what I was told is the case as well. I have not personally had to perform the emission check yet, as Missouri does not require them until the car is 10 years old. This will be the first year that I will be required to have the emission check done, and just wanted to be certain it would pass. I was under the impression that once the tune was performed, you are good to go. This was all second hand information though, so wasn’t certain. I did see another poster here on TDIclub that stated he was able to pass the emission check after the delete and tune. I guess I just wanted to be certain before I went that direction, and spent $2-3k on the delete kit etc. I truly appreciate all the guidance and advice in this thread. I feel better knowing I at least have alternatives, and am on the right path to resolve these issue’s. I just didn’t want to keep throwing money at the problem, hoping it would resolve it. Looks like I will be headed to see Oilhammer next Monday morning, and will go from there. I plan on going the Delete kit route, once they come into stock… unless there is another better alternative than Rawtek. I need to speak with Malone as well, to see if I am able to get an ECU map to run both Diesel and Jet A. I would assume I will need the Flashzilla, to swap the two different maps, but am curious if an option similar to Cobb tuner that would work. I know enough to be dangerous, but am not an expert by any means on the Golf TDI, this is the first one I have owned.

Cheers!

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The SAFETY doesn't get done until the car is 10 years old, or 150k miles. The OBD test gets done every two years, unless the car does not go 12k miles in that two year period. So if you have a 2010, '12, '14, '16, etc. it would get tested THIS year being it is 2022 (I just did a 2018 F150 this morning). If you live in St. Louis City, STL County, St. Charles Co, Franklin Co, or Jefferson Co. Lincoln Co is NOT an OBD test county, and Franklin will be dropped middle of this year (I am hoping others will follow suit, as the whole test system is just a scam anyway).

Cars that are sold here used get the OBD test regardless.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
OP, you also mentioned being worried about a stage 2 and your clutch.
I’ve been 6-7 years now and about 100k miles on stage 2 and (knock on wood) clutch is fine. I don’t drive it like a retard too often but I do enjoy the odd spirited run. I do enjoy the increased fuel economy though. Good luck with the rest of your repair/diagnosis.

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
The SAFETY doesn't get done until the car is 10 years old, or 150k miles. The OBD test gets done every two years, unless the car does not go 12k miles in that two year period. So if you have a 2010, '12, '14, '16, etc. it would get tested THIS year being it is 2022 (I just did a 2018 F150 this morning). If you live in St. Louis City, STL County, St. Charles Co, Franklin Co, or Jefferson Co. Lincoln Co is NOT an OBD test county, and Franklin will be dropped middle of this year (I am hoping others will follow suit, as the whole test system is just a scam anyway).

Cars that are sold here used get the OBD test regardless.
I appreciate the insight, and I did not realize that at all… I got it completely backwards. I have only lived in this area for about four years, and this year will be my first tag renewal. Looks like I will have to get the emission check done next year, and just the safety this year.
I live in Wentzville area, so I am located in Saint Charles. A close mechanic friend of mine had the EGR/DPF delete and tune done on his truck, and said he never had a problem… he is located in St Charles as well. He stated, he would just take it to a Jiffy lube or similar… I guess I could just bring it to your shop each time as well. ;-) Once I find a good mechanic, who knows my vehicle, I will only take my car there. I was still using the dealer for oil changes, because they would give me a loaner to get to work, and would let me bring in my own Amsoil. Plus they would only charge me $20 for the oil change, so it was pretty fair. This was my first experience where they came back saying I had a host of repairs that needed to be done, and was looking at a ridiculous bill.
Anyhow, I look forward to meeting you next Monday, and working with you moving forward. I am extremely fortunate to have you in the area, and happy to find someone who knows the TDI’s.

Thunder Chicken, I love the screen name and avatar my friend. Looks like a really nice De Havilland Twin Otter on amphibious floats… what a wicked nice combination, and a heck of an aircraft. I greatly appreciate the advice and insight… that is excellent news. I am already getting a bit of slippage on hard pulls, but nothing major yet. I typically rarely drive it hard either except when needed, or just want a little fun. I just didn’t want to exaggerate the problem further, and cause a clutch failure post tune, and need to dump another few grand into the car. I would just run the Stage II until the clutch fails, and upgrade it with something that could handle the additional torque.

Cheers!

oilhammer

TDI
If your friend's truck was GVWR of 8500+ (so, any 3/4 or 1-ton diesel truck), it doesn't get the OBD test anyway. Nothing GVWR 8500+ does. Now if he had a diesel Ram 1500, diesel F-150, or a diesel 1500 Silverado/Sierra, or a diesel Colorado or Canyon, then it would be subject to the OBD test. Not sure where the Cummins powered Nissan Titan XD lands its GVWR, as it is not really a 3/4 ton truck but not really a 1/2 ton either. Most "heavy half" ton trucks are below 8500, usually around 7500.

TDICube

Veteran Member
I am waiting for outcome!
As usual, did oilhammer use his VW superhero fixing powers and save the day?
Thanks for your wisdom over the years,
TDICube

Flynic3

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I finally got the car squared away with the delete and tune, but had to end up adding a catalytic convertor mid-pipe, in order to appease inspection. I did visit Oilhammer and greatly appreciated his help and professional advice… top notch shop! I was looking at $2,500 to replace the DPF or going the delete route, which made more sense to me.
Now my issue is trying to resolve the inability to read the ECU log files after the Malone tune. I haven’t been able to get this aspect resolved yet and they keep telling me to just drive it more, then bring it back. This has gone on for multiple emission inspections without change, and I am wondering how I could resolve this aspect. Other than this issue, everything has been much better and I am incredibly happy with the end result… more power and better gas milage! I greatly appreciate any advice and greatly appreciate everyones help…