What is the real purpose of Relay 180?

mStrad

TDI
1.9L TDI AHU
Hi All

I bought a vanagon with a transplant TDI from a 97 jetta. The glow plug circuit has only been wired with the 4 pin J52 relay. In my research I discovered that the intended design also included a 7 pin relay stamped 180 (oem part 038 911 253). Can someone shed some light on what the relay 180 is supposed to do? Does it modulate voltage to the glow plugs? Its not in any of the pinout wiring diagrams. I have a ECU pin out and it only shows the J52 relay. I'm just trying to learn how the intended design was supposed to work.

Thanks

Fabbie

TDI
1.9 1999 jetta
Hi All

I bought a vanagon with a transplant TDI from a 97 jetta. The glow plug circuit has only been wired with the 4 pin J52 relay. In my research I discovered that the intended design also included a 7 pin relay stamped 180 (oem part 038 911 253). Can someone shed some light on what the relay 180 is supposed to do? Does it modulate voltage to the glow plugs? Its not in any of the pinout wiring diagrams. I have a ECU pin out and it only shows the J52 relay. I'm just trying to learn how the intended design was supposed to work.

Thanks
Iam trying figure this out as well, i have mk4 jetta 1999 alh tdi 1.9, has same shape of models 2000. My glow plug light doesn’t come on . Tested the circuit, those relays on top of battery are fine. Eletricity seems not coming to glow plugs somehow, i have no idea what is going on. I curse this vw all the time. Always something wrong . Electric portion on these cars always have some issue. Lets help each other with some info. Iam still trying figure out

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Does the car start? A dead 109 relay symptoms are no glow plug light and endless cranking but no start. The 109 relay supplies power to the ecu.

mStrad

TDI
1.9L TDI AHU
Find out if you have the big relay 180 under the dash or the 4 pin relay in the relay box inside. Replace them one at a time. If that still doesn’t fix it you can just return them for a refund. Also check the 50 amp fuse that is connected to the glow plug circuit.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
50AMP fuse is very well in oversight many times for many years/miles,
so check that one first !

After I replaced the 50 AMP, ground connections became what they should have been, started easier/faster.
That also helped glow plug system...