ALH alternator Pulley replacement

Cbus27

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH and 2013 Jetta CJAA
Has anybody replaced the alternator pulley in an ‘02 ALH while it’s still in the car. I was thinking if I removed the front engine mount and raised the engine with a jack I could get enough clearance to remove pulley. I’ve seen other posts about how to remove the entire alternator at that point light as well replace the whole alternator. Any help and or threads will help.
Thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Has anybody replaced the alternator pulley in an ‘02 ALH while it’s still in the car. I was thinking if I removed the front engine mount and raised the engine with a jack I could get enough clearance to remove pulley. I’ve seen other posts about how to remove the entire alternator at that point light as well replace the whole alternator. Any help and or threads will help.
Thanks

That's the tool you need to change the pulley in the car.

Cbus27

TDI
Yes I’ve seen that tool, but has anybody actually used it to remove the pulley in this model, year car? I don’t want to buy this tool, new pulley just to not have it work.

Cbus27

TDI
Okay I’ll order form IDparts now. Thanks for the help

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You probably already know this, but all of the engine mount hardware other than the three 16mm (two short, one long) bolts that directly attach the mount bracket to the block are single-use only, so if you're planning to remove any of 'em to lift up the engine you'll need to order a bit of hardware.

I've tried it both ways and on an ALH I'd just pull the power steering pump to the side and then lift the alternator up and out... every time I've tried to do a pulley on the car it's fought me and I've ended up pulling it anyways. :)

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Best way to remove the alternator is from underneath by moving the ac compressor and passenger side rad fan out of the way.

Edit: or ^ that way. Never tried, but probably easier than dealing with the compressor.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That'll work too, and it's how the Service Manual recommends as well. Have tried it a couple times and always ended up fighting with the wedged-in mounts on the A/C compressor more than I wanted, when the power steering pump bolts are easy-peasy. Do have to pull the pulley first, so there's that.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've used the Metalnerd tool with the alternator in car at least half a dozen times; always a challenge to break the pulley free, but if you follow the instructions, add some rust-penetrant and get some heat in there, I've found it the quickest/easiest method.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I always do them out of the car, though generally I'm rebuilding the alternator, when I replace the clutch. I use just the splined tool and an impact wrench and most of the time that'll break it loose nicely.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Used the Metalnerd tools in the car, haven't move anything. Worked great but it's tight space in there

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doesn't hurt to try it in the car first, tru dat.

Being a belt-and-suspenders kinda guy, I generally reason that if the pulley wore out the brushes and slip rings probably need a look-see too, but that's just me.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I change the pulley (in the car) at every timing belt change. The one time I didn't the pulley failed 25k later.

I had one alternator fail at ~200k, the other three are all on their 3rd pulley.