Recently bought a 2001 tdi(alh) and would love some help learning/troubleshooting.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
An MK4 rack should fit. Here in the states the mk4’s lasted til 06 in the golf and beetle. The mk5 started with the Jetta in 05.5. I’m not sure what happened with you guys to the north. If it comes from an mk5 it might be an electronic steering rack instead of requiring fluid

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Can I ask just exactly what you mean when you say cause my engine to "jump" time? What does that do/mean?
When an engine jumps timing as in say when a serpentine belt breaks and gets sucked under the timing belt cover and wound around the crank it gets between the toothed timing belt and the toothed cog of the crankshaft at that point the belt slips and the engine stalls. With an interference engine such as these Diesel engines are , the valves and pistons make contact and hose your head.

KingJ416

TDI
2001 volkswagen jetta TDI
Assuming you mean a 2007 City Jetta, yes.

2007 Jetta 2.0T is a MK5, rack would not fit.
Well he just wrote "2007 jetta 2.0 mk4" and in the pics it looks like the same body and engine style as mine...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
So the guy agreed to $75CAD and it comes WITH inner and outer tie rods.

Found a link for the pump for $150ish CAD

And most likely gunna use the canadian OEM site for the hardlines.

THANKS ALOT GUYS!!

Now the rack is coming from a 2007 jetta 2.0 mk4. Should fit right???
Maybe, I'd guess not, but look up some part no., see if they match. Or maybe someone out there Knows.

KingJ416

TDI
So I just did the power steering pump swap.

Pump is mounted.

In and out lines reconnected and the washers for the banjo bolt replaced.

I followed the hardlines to find a corroded hole in the metal part of what I believe is the pressurized line supplying the rack. So the rack may not be the issue after all.

Gunna do a hardline replacement and go from there.

Only thing I have left to do is get tension on the belt. Can any1 possibly explain the process and/or anything to be aware of when doing so?

playback

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I had a leaky rack for a while, thought I would just go without power steering and stopping topping off the fluid. After a few weeks the pump shaft bearings went out and torpedoed itself mid driving. Power steering fluid apparently lubricates the pump ;)

I bought a shorter belt and rerouted it to bypass the ps pump and drove that way for a year until I finally decided to replace the rack And pump. Wasn't fun (have to drop the subframe, lift motor a tad, etc).

There is a spring loaded tensioner pulley for your accessory belt. Look up the routing and maybe get a friend. It's doable alone but takes some muscle. You end up using a 17mm or something to get leverage on the tensioner arm and swing it to give you space to slide the belt onto it.

Good luck!

KingJ416

TDI
I had a leaky rack for a while, thought I would just go without power steering and stopping topping off the fluid. After a few weeks the pump shaft bearings went out and torpedoed itself mid driving. Power steering fluid apparently lubricates the pump ;)

I bought a shorter belt and rerouted it to bypass the ps pump and drove that way for a year until I finally decided to replace the rack And pump. Wasn't fun (have to drop the subframe, lift motor a tad, etc).

There is a spring loaded tensioner pulley for your accessory belt. Look up the routing and maybe get a friend. It's doable alone but takes some muscle. You end up using a 17mm or something to get leverage on the tensioner arm and swing it to give you space to slide the belt onto it.

Good luck!
Thanks man! Just having trouble with getting the tensioner far enough.

Was told to use a 16mm but I didn't know a 16mm wrench is the same as 5/8" at the beginning and didn't have a 16mm so I was using an adjustable and it kept slipping/stripping. Ratchet won't fit either..

Tried a 5/8" wrench but only had 1 with the closed end on a 45° angle which wouldn't work. Then it got dark so gunna look for a flat wrench and give it another try in the morning.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get a set of open end metric wrench’s, the longer the handle the better.

KingJ416

TDI
Well the nut on the tensioner is beginning to strip.

Open end wrenches keep slipping now. But I feel like I maxed out the tensioner and the belt still will not go on.
Seems like I'm still quite a ways out from getting it over the lip of the final pulley.

Thought It might be due to the cold so I brought the belt inside for a bit and even tried warming it up in the microwave for a few seconds but still NO luck 😢

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and get a set of open end metric wrench’s, the longer the handle the better.
Well the nut on the tensioner is beginning to strip.

Open end wrenches keep slipping now. But I feel like I maxed out the tensioner and the belt still will not go on.
Seems like I'm still quite a ways out from getting it over the lip of the final pulley.

Thought It might be due to the cold so I brought the belt inside for a bit and even tried warming it up in the microwave for a few seconds but still NO luck 😢
You should not need anywhere close to the maximum tensioner deflection to get the belt on - are you sure you have it routed correctly ?

I use the closed end of a standard combination wrench strapped to a length of rebar with a couple of gear clamps as a tensioner wrench.

KingJ416

TDI
I believe I do have the correct route. Just spent 30 mins going through owners manual and not 1 diagram....

KingJ416

TDI
So im reading there's a pin slot on the tensioner so when you open it to release tension you can slide a pin in to lock its position.

Now due to the stripped cast nut on it it's looking like a 2-man job so I have to wait for help tomorrow but I will let you guys know how it goes!

Thanks again every1!!