Love my GSW TDI but is it time to sell it?

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Hello community!
I haven't posted anything in a while, but I've been reading posts and trying to keep up with the TDI world. I have a dilemma, figured this is a good place to process my thoughts with like-minded people who can get where I'm coming from (my wife is not interested in car talk, as far as she is concerned, we have a car that works and has a stellar warranty, with 3 pedals, why sell it?), so here it comes:
I have a GSW SE 6m with 51k, and I am torn. I no longer have my 27 mile commute, and the car is in the garage most of the time. I do drive it but mostly it's limited to short distances, with traffic lights and slower speeds. I don't get it on the highway as much anymore. I love how it drives, but I worry that I am now using a car for short trips that was intended for longer drives at operating temp, and doing myself and the car a disservice.
Also, our family's needs have changed and it would be nice to have something a little bigger. I am looking for used Touareg TDI but am faced with the same situation of mostly driving short distances around town running errands. The GSW is a little small for our family to take camping and a Touareg would fit that need, especially if we get a small camper to tow, and in the winter, if we have good snow, I'll at least be able to drive it to the ski areas.
Or, maybe I get a used Tourgeg gasser or Atlas (too big but the Tiguan only tows 1500 lbs).
Also thinking of the Q7, but I don't know if I want Audi maintenance costs. Or the potential Touareg maintenance costs for that matter.

Wife says this car would be good for our soon-to be teen girls to learn on in 3 years, but I would rather buy a cheap $800 Hyundai Accent 5 speed for that.

I love driving a diesel for the principal of using less oil per mile, and the sound and acceleration is fantastic, but I may be clinging to this idea when it doesn't fit my needs. I figured I'd see what other opinions are on the subject, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Use something like the VAGDPF app and a BT dongle for the OBDII port and monitor them (regens). Other than more frequent regens (every 200 miles or so) you shouldn't have any issues as long as you ensure they happen when needed and complete each time.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yes, I do monitor re-gen whilst driving, and if it is happening I will usually continue to drive until it finishes. Not always am I able to do so though.

They occur about every 180-200 mi. but that just loads more ash over time. I have not yet had phase 2 fix, where I would get a new DPF anyway.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I too love my TDI, but I personally vote to sell...only because if your car is mint, at that mileage and being a 6M, you'll probably walk away breaking even or ahead.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I agree with everything the OP states, need of bigger space and desire to stick with a diesel.

Only downside is the markets right now, it just isn't making sense the cost people are getting for used cars/SUVs (sadly GSW isnt one of them). I'd try and stick it out with the GSW until the used market cools down.

Maybe you'll walk away with a wash, but the SUV demand is going to surely out weight those people looking for 3 pedal TDIs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
2003 Ford Excursion, diesel with the 7.3 engine. Can't get much more space than that in an SUV. The market is crazy right now for cars, new or used.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Obviously I love diesels. But I think a diesel vehicle is not what you need, especially one with current emissions (DPF, etc.). I agree that you can get a great price for your GSW right now, any with a manual transmission are very, very scarce. Fuel economy probably isn't really a concern for you, given how little you drive the car. A gasser Touareg would be a decent idea, but expensive to maintain. A clean off-lease Atlas might be a better option.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your replies fellas. It's frustrating trying to decide what I'd buy and finding it. It seems like all used car prices are high.
I may consider an Alltrack, that at least has AWD and wagons are not as in demand as SUVs nowadays.
I would just wait it out but I think of I decide to part with my car, now is a good time to do it.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Alltrack sounds like lots of fun! It would be a familiar platform for you as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
But if the GSW is too small, the Alltrack will be too small as well. Wagons are very scarce in this market, but you might look for a CPO Volvo XC90. Or a latest gen Outback as it's a pretty big car. You'd have to be able to stand the CVT, however, which I know I couldn't. I can barely tolerate a conventional automatic.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
Eww, no CVT for me either. Part of this also hinges on what my wife decides to do with her old 2006 Mazda5. Initially she did not want to drive a big vehicle but she may be coming around. I may wait to see what she decides she wants...if she wants some SUV type, I would consider the Alltrack. I may not know for a few weeks what will happen.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The Alltrack is no bigger, nor will it tow any more than your GSW or a Tiguan. But if you want to stay in that range and keep some driving dynamics, look at the CX-5.

Last edited:

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
We ended up buying a Pilot so I am keeping my GSW for the near future. Even just short trips for now are still more enjoyable than most alternatives. I just wish it had the MIB2 system with Android auto.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Debating on whether to sell the GSW while market is high and try to find a nice 03 ALH wagon and be done with payments and emissions ...

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
2003 Ford Excursion, diesel with the 7.3 engine. Can't get much more space than that in an SUV. The market is crazy right now for cars, new or used.
Awesome rig, ours was an '02 (unfortunately it was totaled) set the cruise on 70 and 20 mpg all day long.