Shifter linkage play

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I have been having this issue with my silver b4, 253k mi. Over the course of a few weeks it became more difficult to get into 2nd and 4th gear, and if not deliberate about shifting it would either pop out or go into this in-between space where it grinds. I changed the fluid, which helped slightly...but it's still there. Investigating today, I found there is quite a bit more play in the lever attached to the weight that hooks to the lower cable. It can be wiggled front to back significantly. I compared it to my green car with 213k and no shifting issues and there is no front to back play in this bracket-when it moves it just moves the whole linkage.

Has anyone dealt with this? Should I replace the whole linkage? It seems like the issue is at the bottom of the bracket below where the cable attaches.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
would that be the shift lever, and shift carrier on Id parts?
Or is there another source?

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I think the shift carrier is where the play is, but it is really hard to see what the part looks like without taking it all apart.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
If necessary it looks like I can get 1J0711202B from eBay. I am thinking I will get the carrier from Id parts.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Better yet, upgrade the whole works to the later MK4 Jetta O2J shifter linkage.

Way better for shift feel. Best upgrade I ever did to my B4. I still have a spare 1J0711256 plastic relay lever in my toolbox just in case someone needs one. Poor design.

If I ever buy another B4, this time the linkage upgrade to the be later style will be the very first upgrade I do. Several threads here about it.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
I totally agree with Windex, I have converted my B3 & B4 to the O2J shifter and it's much improved the gear selection, I've also fitted the short shift Audi TT short shift arm, but to be honest I can't notice the difference

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
For the O2J upgrade does that include the section in the car, or just the section on top of the transmission?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Last edited:

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
That conversion sounds nice, but I think I am just going to fix the part that's broken for now. I don't have an inside area to work on the car yet, and I usually do the serious stuff in the summertime if I can.
I might have to wait to have that linkage until I buy an ALH in a few years.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I’ve done the O2J conversion with the dieselgeek short shifter. It’s amazing, but honestly not worth the money unless you’re really picky with how your shifter feels.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Doesn’t dieselgeek sell upgraded bushings, for that linkage arm?

So many complaints about 1J0711256, but let’s get real… how often does it break? Years ago, I’ve had one break, and I replaced it with a used one. It’s been fine since. If it’s not a race car and you’re not plowing through the gears, it’ll be fine.

-Todd

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I figured out the problem. I wish I had just taken it apart earlier. So there was a lot of play in the shaft that holds the weight. When I took it apart I realized that the play was not down in the lower part of the shift tower, but was just that the bolt that holds the weight and bottom cable was really loose! So at least I was able to clean it up and lube it and tighten it back up. Now it shifts great.