RIP

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think that is when the timing belts are due on those, probably why it got traded in/sold when it did. Not a bad engine, really. Sort of copied from Toyota's MZ series V6s it seems to me. The valve cover gaskets suck, though, due to how they route the engine harness over everything. But hey, if you are going to dump it in a year, who cares?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Carvana had a '15 silver GSW SE with 2890 miles for only $26990 if you were ever tempted again....

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I think that is when the timing belts are due on those, probably why it got traded in/sold when it did. Not a bad engine, really. Sort of copied from Toyota's MZ series V6s it seems to me. The valve cover gaskets suck, though, due to how they route the engine harness over everything. But hey, if you are going to dump it in a year, who cares?
2.4L, so a timing chain.

But yes, the timing belt on the V6 is due at 60k and that blows my mind. The V6 also has a terrible design where you have to remove the intake manifold to access the spark plugs.

Either way, things went downhill in 2011 for Hyundai. I can't imagine having to offer a LIFETIME warranty on the engine. Not just to the original owner, but for the VIN of the car.

Anyway, viking funeral: https://www.autobidinfo.com/lot/3VW2A7AUXFM084590
ust barfed a little.....
I couldn't care less. It's a cheap car during a car shortage.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so if it is a 4 cyl, it is not "every option" ;) At least that is the older Theta engine, not as likely to blow up (and thus no warranty extension like the newer models).

Lots of V6s require the upper intake be removed for spark plug access. And most are fairly easy to do. Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Mitsubishi, Chrysler... you may have heard of a few of them. The Toyota GR engines in the Sienna are probably the worst to do, as there is tight access in the back on one of the support bracket bolts, but they only need be done every 120k miles, so it isn't a huge deal.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The V6 weighs more, uses more gas, has no actual increase in performance with only ~15 more horsepower, all while being harder to maintain. To me, I lucked out with the better option.

But hey, I also have useless circa-2009 integrated navigation!

:ROFLMAO:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm still driving the [now] 21 year old Golf I bought for $1500 over 12 years ago. It has been rear-ended, and subsequently "totaled" and fixed twice now. First time for somewhere around $1800, second time around $1200.

Let me tell you, the Bosal Euro hitch does some damage to a Chevy Trax and Lexus RX300, LOL... They both got towed away... I drove away both times. :D
I know what you mean. My hitch saved my car.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Whelp, on 1/5, this happened:

Someone blew a stop sign, T-boned me, and that diverted my momentum straight into a fire hydrant. Limped away with a fractured knee and a minor concussion.

Apparently I didn't learn my lesson re: VW, I drove this home this past weekend:

2016 GLI with 50k miles. Bought, serviced on time, and traded in, all at a single dealer. Still even had the new car smell and protective peel on the touchscreen. And most importantly, it wasn't overpriced.

Need to pull a @Cuzoe and @Nuje and do some retrofits. I'd like to see if I can add a radar and camera from a 2016 SEL and get working collision avoidance and auto headlights.

First thoughts overall? The car is quick and has a very firm ride. I however prefer the ride and NVH of my Mk7. I am going to try going down to 17" wheels with better tires to see if that helps find a middle ground. Interestingly, the Fender Audio in this GLI is better then the Golf I had, and demolishes the Beats audio in the 2019+.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Oh no! Sorry to see the "replacement" car get crunched! At least you're mostly ok, and enjoying the GLI.
Thank you! Definitely glad that the injuries were minor compared to what that accident could have been without airbags and seatbelts.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the Mk8.5 has real buttons again.

oilhammer

TDI
Covid is a cold.... I would have never even known I even had it if it were not for my wife's employer wanting anyone with symptoms, including fellow household members, to get tested for it. 24 hours and I was over it and back to work.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Covid is a cold.... I would have never even known I even had it if it were not for my wife's employer wanting anyone with symptoms, including fellow household members, to get tested for it. 24 hours and I was over it and back to work.
I’m glad it barely affected you.

My patients in the ICU right now would disagree that it's just a cold. My nurse friends who are burnt-out to the point of being literally suicidal would disagree that it's just a cold. My uncle who is now dead because of Cuomo's decision to use nursing homes as COVID wards would disagree that it's just a cold.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, first sick day I've taken in probably 10 years. I usually just cashed them out at the end of the year. I've never crashed a car, either. And statistically I probably should have by now, LOL.... over a million miles of driving (easily).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I’m glad it barely affected you.

My patients in the ICU right now would disagree that it's just a cold. My nurse friends who are burnt-out to the point of being literally suicidal would disagree that it's just a cold. My uncle who is now dead because of Cuomo's decision to use nursing homes as COVID wards would disagree that it's just a cold.
Sorry to hear about your knee and the concussion. That guy must have T-boned you at a good rate of speed, the back door looks like origami.

I have an uncle that's cold in the ground from covid-19. He was mentally retarded and my cousin who was his caretaker is one of those anti-vaxxer wing nuts. I have no idea how such a large slice of this country became so brain dead in the last decade. It's just sad.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, as it approaches that .25% or whatever it is, pretty much everyone will know someone. Like that Kevin Bacon thing. It isn't going to go away, though, so I am just going to live my life as normal.

The people holed up in their house afraid to go out are the ones I am sad for. They really got brainwashed. Imagine living like that (I couldn't). I have an aunt and uncle like that. I think they had a pallet of bleach delivered to their house. You wanna talk about wing nuts.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So that was the Kia that got crunched? Glad you weren't seriously injured, hope your knee heals up nicely. Still like the German cars in crashes...glad to see you got another VW- is that a 6spd or DSG? If DSG, how is it on the GLI? On covid note, I tested positive on my birthday 12/4. Vaxed in June and boosted 10/27. I had a runny nose for couple days(always had sinus problems), then woke up to go to work on 12/4 , no sense of taste. Had chills that same night for about hour, and that was about it. We all have to go about our life, this is with us forever now.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, how did you do on insurance payout for Kia? Hopefully you got more than what you paid for it with the used car market like it is.... how many miles ended up on it?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Oh, how did you do on insurance payout for Kia? Hopefully you got more than what you paid for it with the used car market like it is.... how many miles ended up on it?
TDI = Bought for $14.5k with 45k miles and insurance paid $17k with 109k. Kia = Bought for $7000 with 61k miles and insurance paid $8000 with 67k miles. Then reimbursed me separately for the $2000 in tires, taxes, and maintenance I put into it.

The GLI is a DSG, and it's plenty fun and quick. I think I prefer the overall package of the 2019+ having MQB parts and refinement. But my 2016 definitely has a better audio system and headlights then the new 2021 I test drove, nor is that refinement worth double what I paid for the 2016.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Looking forward to see what kind of OEM retrofits you can get done on the last of the non-MQB Jettas.
Keep us apprised! :D
(Glad you're OK and the Kia safety engineers' work showed itself to have been done well.)

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Looking forward to see what kind of OEM retrofits you can get done on the last of the non-MQB Jettas.
Keep us apprised! :D
(Glad you're OK and the Kia safety engineers' work showed itself to have been done well.)
2016-2018 SEL has Lane Departure, Collision, and Auto Headlights. I'm hoping it's as simple as adding the parts and enabling them as the PQ35 doesn't have CP. Seeing as mine has the full color gauge cluster, I'm hoping it already has the highline modules needed.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Drove 18 years in Europe, 1 claim in 18 after dropping coolant on the nordschliefe nurburgring. It's expensive to clean up

You blew a hose or the radiator sprung a leak and you lost coolant and they forced you to clean it up?

I’ve never heard of that here in the states, at least not from anything less than an 18 wheeler style accident where say a fuel tank is ruptured during an accident and 100+ gallons of fuel goes all over the ground.

What do they do if you dump your oil change (5 quarts) on your driveway or a dirt road to help control dust?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Don't wish for it man.... I just recently went though that nonsense with my '10 that I've owned since new, and the almost $7k I got for it is junk compared to the 10+ years that I could've kept on driving it for..... Now I'm using 2x the fuel dragging a 5k+ elephant around with me everywhere, 99% of the time, riding solo 😭

At least fuel prices keep increasing, so that's making me feel better!