Injection pumps.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I wouldn't think there is a difference but is the Manual transmission and automatic transmission cars pumps the same? Also how hard is it to switch the transmissions? Thanks in advance.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From my reading they are not but can be interchanged if wanted. IIRC the auto version supports more fueling than the manual trans does. Common performance mod is to swap in a auto trans pump if it was a manual version before.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I wouldn't think there is a difference but is the Manual transmission and automatic transmission cars pumps the same? Also how hard is it to switch the transmissions? Thanks in advance.
HI,

At least on IV gen cars the injection pumps will interchange as far as fitment is concerned.

The auto tranny car pumps are 11 MM pumps and better for performance (and potentially fuel economy) VS the 10 MM pumps found on manual tranny cars.

Switching from auto to stick is a fairly a common thing to do once issues with the auto trans start popping up or they fail alltogether ( I have not personally done a sway but it seems pretty doable and many people have done it (as far as cost and time maybe somebody more knowledgeable will chime in)

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
THank you both for the replies. I have a Manual Jetta that has 424k miles on it and was thinking of buying a Beetle with 152k miles on it which has a manual as well. I was thinking of swaping just the injection pump to my Jetta Which by the way still gets 44 mpg with the pump leaking. The Beetle has a broken transmission and I have read that is not just a first time thing with the 1998 Beetles. There is another Jetta for sale with a bad auto transmission I was thinking of getting as well. It has low miles on it. Both the beetle and the jetta are $1000 each. I think the cheapest I saw an injection pump was around $1100 plus shipping. I would end up with a lot of good spare parts.