01M Issue I can't find information on

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
So I've sorted out several issues with my 02 Golf ALH (EGR, Vac Pump, Brake Booster, Vac Lines... all replaced). Truly the car is running better than it has in years. So I've been driving it a fair bit lately. If I throttle it to shift around 3500 rpm the engine will bog just after it shifts into 2nd and 3rd. Imagine a manual transmission when you shift too soon. If I'm lightly accelerating or at WOT it bogs a wee bit, but not nearly as much. Where should I start hunting down this issue?

Yes, I know the ultimate answer is 5 speed swap, so please don't answer with that.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Any codes?
Hows the fluid level in the trans?
I‘d also try to contact coolairvw I believe he’s the transmission guru on here, he might be able to help. Might be a valve body , and I think he’s got modified ones too.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm wondering if you are triggering limp mode?
Does it run ok when you first start to drive?
Power OK then it looses after driving it?
If it loses power you have to scan for codes before turning the key off.
The code is reset when shut the car.
Do you have VCDS to log boost actual & requested, RPM while driving?

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
Nah... this isn't a limp mode issue. I've had a limp mode condition before and this isn't anywhere near that kind of loss in power.

Bog is fairly consistent whether it's cold or hot. I did scan it with vcds several weeks back, no codes.

The new observation is that I have, for the first time, visually observed the the tach surging once I reach 4th and am cruising at a steady speed. It's almost imperceptible... maybe 50 or so rpm. But it's happening predictably when the car warms up. It's slightly more noticeable when pulling uphill.

I'm guessing this is the well-documented TCC surge. I need to do some graphing with VCDS, but my old-ass laptop that has VCDS installed has decided it doesn't want to boot... never rains but it pours.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you have TCC surge, I'd try tossing a valve body in it, could cure both issues. Even with TCC surge, it takes a while for a fault to set.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Don't keep driving it with this issue. A new valve body should cure it as stated.