Brake Problem?

jeffryD

TDI
96 B4V
Hello guys, has anybody experienced this? Every time I press the brake lever, I hear noises like squeaking noises. Is this normal?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Why does none give their car a look over every oil change anymore. Why is this repair cossting me 3x more.. well, it's because you let service go for so long it broke these as a result.

jeffryD

TDI
96 B4V
Why does none give their car a look over every oil change anymore. Why is this repair cossting me 3x more.. well, it's because you let service go for so long it broke these as a result.
Thanks @DivineChaos
My brother in law gave me an R1 ceramic brakes, do i still need to replace the rotors?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I would contact the manufacturer to file a complaint..... based on their website, something isn't correct.

https://www.r1concepts.com/ceramic said:
Benefits of Ceramic Formulation
Our incredible R1 Concepts Ceramic Series brake pads take advantage of a ceramic construction. Made of ceramic materials that are pressure-adhered within the brake-pad compound, ceramic brake pads are quieter and smoother. For vehicles that stop on a dime - without any unpleasant sounds - ceramic brake pads offer the best. An exceptionally hard and durable material, ceramic brake pads will last a long time between changes - providing superior stability and safety without the cost of repeated maintenance. Ceramic brake pads are almost universally the type that is most often recommended for customers; other brake pads will simply not be able to last long enough to brake hard enough. Ceramic brake pads also emit less dust when being used, which also indicates their strength.

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
Hello guys, has anybody experienced this? Every time I press the brake lever, I hear noises like squeaking noises. Is this normal?
Is it a squeel that you only hear when you press down on the brake and gets worse as you press more? Or is it something else ?
You did not describe it properly. Does it have ceramic or metallic pads in at the moment ?
Did you check the thickness of the pads .. real easy.
If you put the rotor between two fingers what do you feel as you drag them from the center to the outside ?
Do you maybe feel a rough section between two smooth sections as you drag your fingers ?
Once you know at least the result from this, it is easier to try and pinpoint what you hear.
Can you attach an audio sample ?

Last edited:

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
No, it costs so much more because there is not much honesty left in this profession.
In the 50s it was 33% markup as business practice.
Now with all the money printing techs charge you 600% of the time they actually take to do the job, seemingly taking the money printing lead.
It is an evil vicious cycle.
I have been screwed over too long and too many times not to have noticed.

jeffryD

TDI
96 B4V
No, it costs so much more because there is not much honesty left in this profession.
In the 50s it was 33% markup as business practice.
Now with all the money printing techs charge you 600% of the time they actually take to do the job, seemingly taking the money printing lead.
It is an evil vicious cycle.
I have been screwed over too long and too many times not to have noticed.
Thanks @zimbodel for the advice

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I hope you know this is not true. There are wear limits but the rotors are recommended to get replaced when met.
Generally when the pads are done the rotors will need surfacing. When that happens they will be under that limit. So yes. Replace the rotors. If it's just pad slapped. By the time 25% of the pads are gone, they are at the limit. Don't be cheap and risk your life. Replace them.

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
Thanks @DivineChaos for the advice
Remember that ceramic disks tend to squeel even if nothing is wrong. That is one of the reasons people use metallic disks. the metallic disks are quieter, but they eat your rotors. If you recently changed to ceramic disks, the squeel might be due top that, but it is difficult to diagnose the squeel without all the info requested.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You can resurface rotors probably once if you're using a good semi-metallic pad, after that a resurfacing will likely push them past the limit and legally, and no one should be turning them (resurfacing) at that point.

The nice thing here is that brake components in the aftermarket are very inexpensive, and the brake systems on these cars are very simple. Having said that it's often best practice in these cases to just replace everything wholesale while you're in there doing the brake job.

I've found that it's a toss-up between having rotors resurfaced and just buying new, with the cost for the resurfacing to be at least half, if not more, of the cost of a new rotor. And around here most places have just stopped using their lathes because it's simpler to just push boxes across the counter and less troublesome than keeping a lathe working properly.

If I could get someone to do a good resurfacing without having a hassle from it I'd do it, but getting that anymore is not an easy task.

The only way to find out what's going on in there is to dig into it and address it, the longer it gets put off the worse it will likely be. And brakes are not something you should delay in addressing.

My .02

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Generally when the pads are done the rotors will need surfacing. When that happens they will be under that limit. So yes. Replace the rotors. If it's just pad slapped. By the time 25% of the pads are gone, they are at the limit. Don't be cheap and risk your life. Replace them.
Why will they need resurfacing? If they’re not deeply grooved, aren’t chattering (warped) and aren’t at their limit, they don’t need replacing.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Generally when the pads are done the rotors will need surfacing. When that happens they will be under that limit. So yes. Replace the rotors. If it's just pad slapped.
Oh….. you were being serious…. I take back my pass.

Why will they need resurfacing? If they’re not deeply grooved, aren’t chattering (warped) and aren’t at their limit, they don’t need replacing.
I agree, I’m a pad slapper. I’m still alive after all of the pad slapping. Scored or rotted, they get tossed, but this doesn’t happen often. I also don’t get flywheels resurfaced… 2x slapped!

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I just have a preference for installing new pads against a prepared surface. I've installed pads on worn rotors before and it just takes a lot of time to get them seated in on an uneven surface.

I could see not doing it if the rotors were reasonable, but ordinarily the semi-metallic pads I've used really chew up rotors pretty fast.

People can and should do what they want, but I suggested resurface / replacement because it sounded to me, based on the noise described, like the pad backing was down on the rotor already in this case.

Steve

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
When I checked my brakes because my sensor wire broke. My rotors aren't badly grooved they don't have hard spots in them and they don't pulse any bit whatsoever. But the front and the back very outer edge of them there is a lip for more the pad wasn't making contact. It's a couple of Mills at this point. But by the time the pads are worn out I'm sure that the rotors will be at the outer limit of their minimum thickness. But I'm running a higher quality pad which wears the rotor as much as it wears the pad. It's also wide so now advised to replace the rotors as well because the pads are a lot harder. Back in the day with organic pads the pads are really soft so it didn't chew the rotor up. Unless you buy those cheap pads it's not the case anymore. It's also why pads and rotors on these cars last 100,000 miles.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Oh….. you were being serious…. I take back my pass.

I agree, I’m a pad slapper. I’m still alive after all of the pad slapping. Scored or rotted, they get tossed, but this doesn’t happen often. I also don’t get flywheels resurfaced… 2x slapped!

-Todd
Yes, I was being serious. Am I saying you can't do it? No you can do whatever the hell you want because it's your vehicle. Is it advised no. In all the manuals it says the check the thickness after rotors are resurfaced. Because you always get minor grooving in it sometimes there's cracking that you can't see until the resurfaced. Generally you'll never have a problem with it. But it's still not advised and it is not very safe.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks @DivineChaos
My brother in law gave me an R1 ceramic brakes, do i still need to replace the rotors?
So bottom line you don't absolutely have to replace your rotors. But if there is a lip on them and they should be resurfaced. But if they're already down past half of their wear point just had slapping them isn't advised. Not saying that you can't, because it's your car and you're going to do what you want with it. I'm saying what is safe, and what is recommended.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
It's a drama club in here....
If the OP doesn't know what he's doing or looking at, it doesn't matter what any of us say.
If he does, (or whoever wrenches on the vehicle) then that person should be capable of visually inspecting and\or measuring the thickness of the rotor to determine if they need to be replaced, etc.
There's no one solution fits all, unless the budget is not a factor, in which case, I'd replace EVERYTHING.... pads, rotors, calipers, hell.... might as well do the hubs\bearings since they will wear out eventually too.

jeffryD

TDI
96 B4V
So bottom line you don't absolutely have to replace your rotors. But if there is a lip on them and they should be resurfaced. But if they're already down past half of their wear point just had slapping them isn't advised. Not saying that you can't, because it's your car and you're going to do what you want with it. I'm saying what is safe, and what is recommended.
I'll take your advice @DivineChaos, Thanks

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You can obviously do as you want, no worries there, but the safe recommendation is right in the Bentley Manual and it lists things as I describe. Minimal standards are the safety standards, not half that. I’m not sure why people think the manual isn’t good enough.

And replacing rear rotors on a B4 is not the same as replacing them on a Mk6 because on a B4 the wheel bearings are integrated with the rotor.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You can obviously do as you want, no worries there, but the safe recommendation is right in the Bentley Manual and it lists things as I describe. Minimal standards are the safety standards, not half that. I’m not sure why people think the manual isn’t good enough.

And replacing rear rotors on a B4 is not the same as replacing them on a Mk6 because on a B4 the wheel bearings are integrated with the rotor.
As on my 2wd truck front discs are part of the bearing. The discs are built thicker. States in manual to get them resurfaced. And states a minimum width. Which there good for 2 turnings, normally. Anyway. Just measure them. Front wear limit is 2mm and rear is 1mm. From what I can Google.