Stupid question

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Sorry for the stupid question, does the differential share the same case/ oil with the transmission ( manual) or is it separate on mk7 golf?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
One oil for entire transaxle. True for virtually all modern transaxles.

Fun fact: The original Mini and the early Lamborghini Muira shared oil between transaxle and engine!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
True for virtually all modern transaxles.
That's not accurate at all.
Many of the cars and SUVs i have and still do own do not have the same fluid in each. For instance. The 955 cayenne my wife has takes a g4 for the diff front and back, but the transfer case uses g5 and calls for ( essentially) toyota v4 fluid for the transmission.
Yea g5 and the toyota fluid are basically the same and could be interchanged but the transfer case on these is picky and the g5 seems to work better.

My escape used MERC 3 in the trans and PS but the diff calls for 95w and the transfer case calls for a 75.

OP use whatever the manual calls for.

Last edited by a moderator:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's not accurate at all.
Many of the cars and SUVs i have and still do own do not have the same fluid in each. For instance. The 955 cayenne my wife has takes a g4 for the diff front and back, but the transfer case uses g5 and calls for ( essentially) toyota v4 fluid for the transmission.
Yea g5 and the toyota fluid are basically the same and could be interchanged but the transfer case on these is picky and the g5 seems to work better.

My escape used MERC 3 in the trans and PS but the diff calls for 95w and the transfer case calls for a 75.

Please. Of your going to make wild claims... make sure they are accurate and not some fabrication of fiction you pulled from your rear.

OP use whatever the manual calls for.
For AWD, yes of course, different fluids for different components but I was talking about FWD manual transaxles, as was the OP. I can't think of any with separate sumps.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
For AWD, yes of course, different fluids for different components but I was talking about FWD manual transaxles, as was the OP. I can't think of any with separate sumps.
doesnt the mk7 gti PP have a separate fluid for the LSD?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
why you gottta bring facts to general statements!!

LOL

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whoops! I didn't even know about the PP. I stand corrected and am now sitting humbly!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
seeing the GTI PP is rather "one off" for the design of the wunderdiff, i think general statement for diffs sharing transfluid stands,

Our Alltrack DSG open front diff shares the same DSG fluid as the TDI unit, it's the bevel box that's bolted to the DGS it that has different fluid. But that bevel box isn't considered a diff and it's directly coupled to the output shaft of the DSG.