ok, what is the best tool and way to remove the fuel cutoff switch on the IP

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
HOLY tight as all hell Batman... what do I need to do and how to get this damn cutoff switch off the IP???

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Are you talking about the nut that holds the wire in, or the entire solenoid itself? I usually use vice grips on the nut, but if it's the whole solenoid, deep well socket and a biiiiig ratchet.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Yah the entire 24mm nut.. sheezus its super flipping tight

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Use a good 6-point on it. You will be decidedly unhappy if it gets rounded off...

Of course I spent most of my tool collection money on 6-point...due to their better ability to deliver torque to a nut...and VW seems to have some special affinity for 12 points.

Douglas

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If you have a 6 point socket and an impact driver(get some adapters to fit socket if needed, not sure if they have 3/8" drive 24mm 6 point sockets). I think I used a box end wrench when I did mine years ago, was a real PITA with the hard fuel lines....

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yah, Im thinking Im gonna have to use a open ended special box type of wrench.. unless I take the fuel lines off which cant be that hard...

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I don’t think you can get the box end of a wrench around the stop solenoid with the QA on the pump. Even a thin wall socket is unlikely.
Why are you removing it?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
ive pretty much determined its the cause of my low power because of it restricting my fuel flow..

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Just curious but of you remove the fuel cut off solenoid from the pump is it possible to eliminate the solenoid alltogether by plugging it with a bolt or something and shut the pump of in a more manual way ? (like an old school choke cable on a shut off lever or some mod to the hole that the solenoid was removed from?).

The reason I ask is because on the first gen dodge pickups , the Cummins rotary pump fuel shut off solenoid could be removed and the pump had a shut off lever you could rig a choke cable to to manually shut off the engine (I'm not sure our pumps have something like that (in theory , the first gen dodges could run forever without a battery or alternator for hard core reliability if that mod was done .... I know our TDIs would die once juice ran out and the electronics in the computer died but I figure removing one more electric draw may let it run a little longer in a worse case scenario),

Andrew

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
No lever for these beasties Andy. The 12mm pump head is not w/o its charm, but they are a bit big to fuel all the way if you turn them past 3000 rpm I think. The dose of fuel they could deliver at lower speed would make clutch selection a bit more difficult...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
HI,

Just curious but of you remove the fuel cut off solenoid from the pump is it possible to eliminate the solenoid alltogether by plugging it with a bolt or something and shut the pump of in a more manual way ? (like an old school choke cable on a shut off lever or some mod to the hole that the solenoid was removed from?).

The reason I ask is because on the first gen dodge pickups , the Cummins rotary pump fuel shut off solenoid could be removed and the pump had a shut off lever you could rig a choke cable to to manually shut off the engine (I'm not sure our pumps have something like that (in theory , the first gen dodges could run forever without a battery or alternator for hard core reliability if that mod was done .... I know our TDIs would die once juice ran out and the electronics in the computer died but I figure removing one more electric draw may let it run a little longer in a worse case scenario),

Andrew
The AAZ engine from 92?-97? had a lever that you could modify to do as you describe. It had nothing to do with the shut off solenoid though, it manually pushed the governor assembly to no fuel.
I think some of the Bosch pumps have push solenoids that would fit in place of the pull one. I’d bet you could rig that up.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Right, and you wouldn't replace the stop solenoid with a bolt.
You would just remove the plunger and screw it back into the pump.
Then if there isn't a stop lever on the pump you could also kill it with the clutch.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Low power from fuel issue at ip? Sounds like you need a keystone mod

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why bother trying to mod the solenoid at all? The TDI shuts down by the QA setting the fuel to zero, the solenoid is redundant. Then there's the Anti Shudder valve also on the ALH.

No manual replacement is required.

Just remove the plunger if it's causing a problem.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
I WOULD... if could get the damn thing OUT.. PITA!!!

last thing im trying is a flare nut wrench because a simple 24mm aint gonna cut it.. will totally strip and round the sides