Jetta TDI buying advice

Cancop55

TDI
2006 TDI 1.9 Diesel
Hello, I'm looking at purchasing my first VW. Im not a very mechanically inclined individual so purchasing a used vehicle is nerve racking.

It's a 2006 Jetta TDI. It has the 1.9 Diesel engine. It has 393,000 KM. Gentleman is asking $2000 cdn dollars, it is inspected until 2023. Hes including brand new winters on rims also. The vehicle looks to be really good shape from the photos both inside and out.

What are some known issues with this vehicle that I should ask about and look for. Hes told me it will require battery, rear shocks and a tie rod end but that its very much drivable. Says the turbo was replaced prior to him owning but doesn't know when.

This purchase is really just to get me through the next 18 months or so at very low mileage, just a vehicle to get the kids to and from activities when my wife is working in the evenings. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You will be fine for 18 months with a new battery, best not to cheap out and get a dealer sold battery if you have a dealer nearby.

That jetta (engine code BRM) most likely needs a new camshaft and lifters. If you listen to the engine running and it taps kinda hard, it probably has a hole in a lifter or 2. I used to own a BRM jetta and indeed needed a cam and lifters around 200,000km, so most likely this one has been changed or it is a huge anomaly.

Look for videos of BRM engines with holed lifters, so you know how it sounds like. Once bad enough the car will bellow clouds of black smoke as if the turbo gave out.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Also, if not with the original radio, the dead battery could be the result of the canbus never going to sleep with an aftermarket radio. Heck, even OEM newer radios (if retrofitted) require update to the canbus, one from a newer model jetta.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You would be truly better off if you were mechanically inclined and did the work yourself.
Wiring harnesses in the engine compartment and the driver's door are common issues. Flywheels, turbos, camshafts, EGR coolers, mechatronic transmission controllers (if automatic) , suspension springs, injectors (expensive and have a useful life of 300K miles if they were treated properly), and all the normal maintenance items.
Have a look at the rocker panels and any sheet metal items on the underside. They are notorious rust-out items.

Short trips in cold weather is not their strong suit.

You almost have to get the car for free for it to make sense.
I just went through this with a customer. Their 2006 Jetta is a very nice looking car inside and out but just about everything I've mentioned above needs attention.

Last edited:

Cancop55

TDI
2006 TDI 1.9 Diesel
Also, if not with the original radio, the dead battery could be the result of the canbus never going to sleep with an aftermarket radio. Heck, even OEM newer radios (if retrofitted) require update to the canbus, one from a newer model jetta.
Interesting there is an aftermarket touch screen radio installed

Cancop55

TDI
2006 TDI 1.9 Diesel
You would be truly better off if you were mechanically inclined and did the work yourself.
Wiring harnesses in the engine compartment and the driver's door are common issues. Flywheels, turbos, camshafts, EGR coolers, mechatronic transmission controllers (if automatic) , suspension springs, injectors (expensive and have a useful life of 300K miles if they were treated properly), and all the normal maintenance items.
Have a look at the rocker panels and any sheet metal items on the underside. They are notorious rust-out items.

Short trips in cold weather is not their strong suit.

You almost have to get the car for free for it to make sense.
I just went through this with a customer. Their 2006 Jetta is a very nice looking car inside and out but just about everything I've mentioned above needs attention.
Ok appreciate the feedback. It is indeed a 5spd manual.

With the new winter tires on rims included in the price I figure id be paying $1500 for the car, id likely offer $1750 if everything seems decent, but after reading your reply im definitely questioning whether its worth my time