How to determine if remote or something else is broken

Software Mechanic

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
The remote for my 2000 Jetta doesn't lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk. The batteries have been replaced. When I lock the car using the key the windows close and the alarm system is armed. The problem can be either the remote doesn't work or something in the car is broken. How do I troubleshoot the problem? I have VCDS.

John

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Use your VCDS, go into the Comfort Module, and go into the Measuring Blocks... just start at Group 001 and start going up until you see one labeled keys or something, you should be able to watch to see a 0 change to a 1 when you press a fob button. VCDS has it labeled. That will at least let you see if the CCM is "seeing" the fob(s) or not.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Isn't there a relearn procedure for the remote, where you use the second key in the ignition and the other in the door or something? My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've only ever used a scan tool to do that. Again, in the CCM... Basic Settings ---- remote adaptation.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
If one of your doors has a broken remote locking mechanism, and is left unlocked, the FOB won't sound the horn when the lock button is pushed. VCDS should tell you if there's a communication problem as noted above.