Wuzetem or Bosio? was: Injectors for my 01' NB. Recommendations and from whom?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I've got many other things to check on why I have low power on my 01' NB 5 spd with 237K miles, but I'm thinking I might get a set of injectors for it, or at least start pricing out a set. The intake looks clear, I'm making boost according to my ultragauge, timing is good, but there's not much difference in feeling between 10 psi and 18 psi seat of the pants wise. I do have a stage 1 malone tune and though that helped, it still feels underpowered (maybe even less than stock). I read about folks with bigger injectors and getting better fuel economy when babied, but fantastic power when needed. I'd love to experience the same thing, and ideally I'd like to pay a fair price, and not the highest price for the rebuild.

I'm sure there are a lot of opinions, but who would you recommend I send injectors out to for rebuilding that is competent and has fair prices. And what nozzles would you recommend. I'll be sticking with my 10mm pump, and the majority of my driving is freeway. Thanks all!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray

From what I understand, this guy is the only guy is the US who has the OEM injector equipment that he imported from Europe. And, he has a great reputation on forums as user DriveByWire.

However, I don't know as much about ALH injectors (I bought PD150-equivalent BEW injectors from there.) Someone else here will have a better answer for your engine. There's a lot of info on that site, too.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I have a set of injectors that I hotswapped through kermma, which are supposedly build by dbw, and they've been nothing but problems.
I'd suggest wuzetem or firad, both can be purchased from idparts. Stay away from bosio.
If you're not tuning, can't go wrong with some 0.205 nozzles.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another option is to buy your own nozzles, and send your nozzles/injectors to DFIS in Portland, OR, they do really good work too. Have had them personally mount 5 sets of injectors and all are working just fine in all 5 cars.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Has something changed re DBW over last few years? I got mine based on info in similar past threads, but that was a while ago.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got mine mid 2019, and have had nothing but smoking, leak down, and poor fuel economy since then. I even went and sent them to Frank and he did his best to fix them, but it only lasted about two months before I was back to smoking and poor fuel eco. I plan to send them back to him just for kicks when I get my new wuzetems from him.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Diesel forward in Wisconsin also Is Bosch certified for calibration. I have a set from Idparts hot swap that I believe were done there in Donna’s car. No complaints

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Diesel forward in Wisconsin also Is Bosch certified for calibration. I have a set from Idparts hot swap that I believe were done there in Donna’s car. No complaints
Thanks! I was wondering where IDParts gets their work done.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just to let you know, I have purchased 3 or 4 different sets of nozzles mostly of the above mentioned business and had 1 of those balanced at DFIS Portland I spoke with Mark there, and I believe he told me he does not have the equipment to set the second stage.
I have done business Frank with for 10 plus years. I have said all this to say this:
my last and current set of nozzles had been installed by one of the other guys.
Frank installed my current nozzles and fixed somebody else's mistakes.
This is the truth: my car acted as though it had a new engine after Frank set up my nozzles. He does not do hot swaps. send him your injector bodies and he will install new nozzles in them and balance them. A word of interest...Franks shop is always really busy and it may take him three weeks to get them done.
The wait is well worth it. If you find a set of injector of injector bodies cheap, buy them and that way you will always have a spare set.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I'm going to treat myself to new nozzles. 240K miles on the originals and I lose more $$ in this volatile stock market that I might as well get some enjoyment from my $$. I already have a set of used injectors I bought here that I'll send in to have rebuilt.

I've settled on having DFIS do the work, but my choices are Bosio DLC 520 (0.205 um), or Wuzetem 0.205 um

Which would you go for and why?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I'd go Wuzetem simply because Poland is more based than Italy (IMO).
Put the Wuzetem .205's in my Wife's car done by DFIS a year ago, installed myself.
So far they are awesome. She noticed the increased pep which was nice.
I have her IQ set at 4.5

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I'd go Wuzetem simply because Poland is more based than Italy (IMO).
Put the Wuzetem .205's in my Wife's car done by DFIS a year ago, installed myself.
So far they are awesome. She noticed the increased pep which was nice.
I have her IQ set at 4.5
Sorry, but what does ‘based’ mean?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He means where they're more established.

I've run several bosios, and I've had nothing but issues with all of them. I'm getting wuzetems soon. Seems like bosios quality has gone down the last few years.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I'd go with bigger nozzles personally... I wouldn't get anything less than .230, tuned right... And fuel limited as you desire, is a great combo. Can be smoke free and doesn't hurt mpg one bit

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
He means where they're more established.

I've run several bosios, and I've had nothing but issues with all of them. I'm getting wuzetems soon. Seems like bosios quality has gone down the last few years.
Thanks. So hard to find information on them - googling 'Wuzetem vs Bosio' only brings up old threads that are not useful. Not many places sell Wuzetem either.

I'd go with bigger nozzles personally... I wouldn't get anything less than .230, tuned right... And fuel limited as you desire, is a great combo. Can be smoke free and doesn't hurt mpg one bit
I'm hoping to not to have to re-tune at all. Still chasing the low power issue, working through other things that are a problem (head gasket done, clutch just done, stupid failing 3 month old genuine VW thermostat that is running cold will get replaced this weekend). Trying to stay close to stock - want the power when I need it, but want to keep the MPG or better it too.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
When I had the wuzetem .216 nozzles in my moms old 2003 Jetta installed my first tank was 48 MPGS. This is with a plugged intake which made it run smoky. After cleaning the intake, turbocharger, adjusting the IQ to 5.6 and uploading a Malone stage II tune the car was totaled in an accident which was not my fault. Never got a tank calc after the work was done. It ran great though.

I did not need to have the .216 nozzles balanced, they were within spec out of the package. I don’t know why anyone would consider another brand.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
When I had the wuzetem .216 nozzles in my moms old 2003 Jetta installed my first tank was 48 MPGS. This is with a plugged intake which made it run smoky. After cleaning the intake, turbocharger, adjusting the IQ to 5.6 and uploading a Malone stage II tune the car was totaled in an accident which was not my fault. Never got a tank calc after the work was done. It ran great though.

I did not need to have the .216 nozzles balanced, they were within spec out of the package. I don’t know why anyone would consider another brand.
ARRGH! Now you've got me thinking I should get the 0.216 Wuzetems.. . . .
Were you running the stock 10mm injector pump too?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Go with Wuzetem .216s, plenty of nozzle. Even with my tune (26psi) and a bigger turbo, I could've gone with them instead
of .230s. Set the pop pressures higher than spec, shorter duration and higher pressures will give great atomisation.
And get a Malone tune, 2 or 3. Even with a stock turbo, you'll get a heap more power and driveability IMO.
Drive the clutch carefully and it'll be fine. Lol, if you can! Otherwise you'll be heading down the rabbit hole
of mods, addictive, and pricey. But wowowow, it IS a lot of fun.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I chickened out and got the Wuzetem 0.205 nozzles from Cascade German. I didn't want to deal with overpowering my LUK clutch, possible smoke issues getting the 0.216 while also still figuring out this overboost issue. Figured the closer I stay to stock injectors, but with the stage 1 tune, would be better for MPG and reliability.

So fingers crossed, in 2'ish weeks I'll have some new nozzles to install. Hope it solves my low power issue.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I chickened out and got the Wuzetem 0.205 nozzles from Cascade German. I didn't want to deal with overpowering my LUK clutch, possible smoke issues getting the 0.216 while also still figuring out this overboost issue. Figured the closer I stay to stock injectors, but with the stage 1 tune, would be better for MPG and reliability.

So fingers crossed, in 2'ish weeks I'll have some new nozzles to install. Hope it solves my low power issue.
Nozzle size is the limiting factor. The power and smoke is easy to manipulate on the ALH. You can always go with a bigger nozzle and adjust the fueling down (up) by doing the hammer mod or changing IQ in VCDS.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe you'll be happy with the .205`s still. They're a good size for a small power bump.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
03–are you going to just swap your nozzles and install at home, or are you going to have them balanced afterward?

Im thinking my nozzles could use replacement (stockers with 225k), and I’m wondering if the balancing is really worth it. I understand it is the correct and optimum way to do it, but does it add enough improvement over just new nozzles to be worth the time and money?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I’m wondering if the balancing is really worth it. I understand it is the correct and optimum way to do it, but does it add enough improvement over just new nozzles to be worth the time and money?" Zac

The short answer is YES! The springs that regulate pop pressures in the injectors will be worn/weakened.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You've got a set of 19 year old injectors that have run for over 200K miles. The odds that they're still working perfectly is slim. You don't have to spend big money to do it, but I'd strongly suggest you find your nearest Bosch shop (D&W Diesel in Auburn is probably closest to you) and have them mount the nozzles and test the injectors. That way you'll know they're working properly and providing the best power and FE, and potentially avoiding damage to your engine from a stuck or streaming injector.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
03–are you going to just swap your nozzles and install at home, or are you going to have them balanced afterward?
I having DFIS in Portland do the work. I'd rather install them knowing they were set up correctly instead of wondering later if a problem I'm having is due to the injectors. I already have some issues I'm sorting through, I don't want to add more issues to the stack.

Dave