Looking for NB vacuum routing image (not diagram)

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
01' NB 5 spd.

I replaced the vacuum ball, lines from it to the check valve, to the N75, and also replaced the N75 but I'm not happy with the routing. The lines from the check valve essentially make 90 degree bend from both sides. Also there are two splices coming off the N75 going to the turbo. One makes sense - it's a transition from the larger diameter tube to the smaller diameter, but there in-line there was another one that I don't think should be there.

Any NB owners out that that can take a photo of the vacuum lines coming off the vacuum pump to the check valve and then tee to the N75 and ball? I'd like to see how it's supposed to be routed. (mine is plumbed right, but looks awkward.)

Thanks

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Thanks Bob and Krash - that's pretty different than my beetle though. Given I can see the strut towers in your link/embedded photo, I don't think that's a beetle ? Mine definitely couldn't have the one way check valve for the turbo side of the vacuum lines.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NB's routing and arrangement is a bit different due the space limitations. And they do make a tight bend on either side of the check valve. From the factory, they had a molded 90 degree hose for that, but when I rebuild the vacuum harness, I just use a small piece of the regular braided hose, cut slightly longer so that the bends do not kink. Fun part is getting all the hoses fed through the sheath that clips to the false firewall.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
The NB's routing and arrangement is a bit different due the space limitations. And they do make a tight bend on either side of the check valve. From the factory, they had a molded 90 degree hose for that, but when I rebuild the vacuum harness, I just use a small piece of the regular braided hose, cut slightly longer so that the bends do not kink. Fun part is getting all the hoses fed through the sheath that clips to the false firewall.
Perfect, thanks Oilhammer! I’ll leave it as is. The work did not solve my overboost issue so eventually when my wrist is healed I’ll clean the vanes when I do the head gasket. Weird that the ecu can’t control the boost but can completely shut boost off when it goes to limp mode.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well it just limits power at the pump. Ultimately, it is the ECU's job to make the engine run at all. If it wants to limit anything (RPM, specific output), it can. It is all just software.

You shut down the fueling, you shut down the engine speed, which shuts down air flow, which shuts down any potential turbo boosting.