Sportwagen suspension upgrade, coilovers?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Looking for some advice on a suspension upgrade for my Mk6 Sportwagen.

I've heard of folks putting in Golf R components. Or I would consider coilovers but I want minimal lowering. The car is low enough already.

Does anyone know how much Golf R springs would lower my Sportwagen? Beyond that, are they any different than my OEM springs? Perhaps the R springs with some Bilstein HD's would be a nice budget upgrade without slamming the car.

I also have a H&R rear sway bar on the way.

What has your experience been?

Thank you,
Travis

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
If you don't necessarily want to lower it, you may opt to change the struts and shocks. The Koni FSD Damper set are very good. I had a set on my Volvo 850 and really liked them after having driven on Bilsteins for 100k plus miles. The advantage of the Koni's is that they recommend keeping the stock springs (If I am correct.). Take a look at Tire Rack with their suspension upgrade options for your wagon.
My current wagon personally has H&R sport springs and Koni yellows. I wanted something that would not need further/future adjustments as I would drive myself crazy constantly messing with it hoping to find the 'ideal' setting(s). With Neuspeed RS05's/17's it is perfect.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a line on some H&R sport springs. I'm afraid that I'll get tire rub or negative rake.

How do you think they will work with the stock shocks?

What is your setup like with the H&R sports with the yellows? I want tight but not harsh. Still is a daily driver.

Thanks for your responses.

Travis

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Found even a better deal on the H&R sport springs. I'm pulling the trigger on them. Next question is if to upgrade shocks when I install them....

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for shock recommendations to match with the H&R Sport springs.

From what I read on the Koni FSD's, they are a great balance for a car that is a daily driver.

Tell me what you run with your H&R sports and how you like em!

Thanks in advance.
Travis

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Might be old but I’m curious what did you end up installing with the Sport Springs and did you like the ride?

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
Might be old but I’m curious what did you end up installing with the Sport Springs and did you like the ride?
Old thread for sure, but I’m running H&R sports with koni yellows. I daily drive the car about 200 miles. For a daily driver the sports are pretty low and you have to be cognizant of that. If it’s a weekend toy and you never plan to go hiking/camping/fishing on dirt roads, and you like the look of a much lower JSW then I’d say go for it. The koni yellows I have set at about the mid setting and they are firm to the point of being harsh in certain situations. I love the look but if I were to do it again for a daily driver, I would drop closer to an inch (the sports are a 2” drop) and I’d do some other form of shock/strut combo. Possibly even do coil overs. I also did an eibach rear sway bar at the same time.

As for actual handling, the car when stock used to start breaking the rear end loose at moderate speeds when cornering. With the new setup, I’m afraid to find the speed that it’s gonna break loose because that number is definitely much higher. It’s a game of Give and take between looks/ride quality/handling/price.