2002 ALH No Start Diagnostic

vwbusman66

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Alright gents, here's a fun one.
2002 Jetta ALH/01M ~182k
No start, sat for three years. PO told me he thought the injection pump died.
Things I've checked/done so far:
- Brand new H7 battery (old one was dead from sitting)
- Timing belt is intact and looks good (was changed in 2017)
- Removed intercooler pipe to ASV and left off
- ASV is open
- Intake manifold is not clogged
- CEL/glow plug light come on when car is turned on
- Fuel shutoff solenoid has power when cranking and clicks when 12v is applied to it
- Filled fuel filter with fresh diesel
- Pulled vacuum on return line on pump, got clean fuel into the pump and bled pump
- Loosened injector lines, no fuel spray, a little wetness from each.
- Tach/Scan tool both show 200 rpm while cranking and live data shows a responsive accelerator pedal position

CEL codes:
P0183 (Fuel temp sensor too high)
P0228 (TPS input high)
Some code about coolant thermostat reading wrong

Car is entirely stock.

At this point, I'm genuinely thinking the pump rotor might be broken. Clearly the pump isn't making any pressure.
Thoughts?

For the record, I bought the car for $500 and it still has its cat. The fender bottoms and rocker caps aren't rusty and it's a heated seat/sunroof car. I won't be upset if I need to throw a pump at it to have a runner. I like the color enough I'd seriously entertain keeping it, manual swapping it, and just driving it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
If the pump isn't air-locked and it's not pushing fuel such that you get fuel spewing all over the place at the injectors then the pump is likely bad. Any idea whether it ran OK post-TB work? (changed in 2017 and sat for three years sounds pretty close to it having sat since the TB was done, as in maybe someone messed it up?) I might look to do a compression test just for peace of mind. And, check to see if all the timing bits can line up.

vwbusman66

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Apparently he drove it for a year after the TB, then one day it just stopped running.
I haven't checked timing yet but that shouldn't affect lack of spray at injector lines.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
- Tach/Scan tool both show 200 rpm while cranking and live data shows a responsive accelerator pedal position
I think I read the ECU will not trigger injection at 200 RPM.

Check the battery grounds under the battery and at the trans.
Starter could be tight from sitting.

Look at the wires in front of the injector pump for corrosion or breakage.

vwbusman66

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well I just got more info from the PO. The plot thickens.

I asked about the circumstances of it not running.
Apparently, he went out one winter morning and it just wouldn't start.

At some point, the starter was replaced before it stopped running. Every time I've tried to start it, after about 3-5 seconds the starter/wiring starts emitting smoke. Also, occasionally while cranking it sounds like the starter disengages/hesitates and just sounds not good.

I'm wondering if the starter just sucks. I was getting a crank signal of 237 RPM yesterday at ~70 degrees farenheit.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I say you have an air lock.
Try hanging the fuel from a jar like an IV bag , get a little head pressure on it and mity vac it again crack the injectors bleed them then try to fire it up……

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I would not just 'throw a pump at it' until I was a heck ov a lot sure-er that was the problem. Not that you were....and a smoking starter is decidedly not confidence inspiring.

Also, timing belt jobs can be impossibly screwed up. You can see roughly into the IP/pin if you peek over the fender and shine a bright light at it with the belt cover off. You want to be sure it is pretty close, yes?

Douglas